Bonds Ties Ruth at 714 | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bonds Ties Ruth at 714

Finfan86 said:
then who do you believe is the best ever?

Willie Mays, but nobody will ever reach the legend status of Ruth. It's real tough to compare guys in different eras but i'll take Mays.

djfresh47 said:
Willie Mays, but nobody will ever reach the legend status of Ruth. It's real tough to compare guys in different eras but i'll take Mays.

Mays is probably the best all around player ever. But no one could come close to hitting like Ruth.

I would say Ruth simply because he was a dominant pitcher as well as one of the best sluggers of all time. That combination is unique to Ruth.

Gehrig, Dimaggio, Mays and Williams all seem to be other players you have to include. Roberto Clemente was a personal favorite and I think what Bonds did for that four year span was the most unbelievable thing I've ever seen (even with the roid issue)

Nappy Roots said:
but it is Babe Ruth. The greatest player ever.

This is definitely significant. Who cares? Any baseball fan should.
i'm a fan of the game of baseball, not the history.

Ray Finkle said:
Mays is probably the best all around player ever. But no one could come close to hitting like Ruth.

Mays is up there for me, proably top 3 with Ruth and Ted Williams. I think ted gets cheated. The 4 years he missed he was averaging about 35 hrs a year. So 4 x 35 = 140. 521+140= 661.

Not only did he have the home runs but was the last person to bat over .400 in a season. (plus i respect people that fight for our country, unlike that bum Ali)

culpepper2chambers said:
babe domninated pitching and batting thats unbelievable

Yes that really is, lol especially considering the best hitter/pitcher now is proably Dontrelle Willis batting what? .260?

Nappy Roots said:
:grouplaug

At pointing out a japanese player!

:sidelol:
hey man, dont hate on the asians...havent you ever seen the movie where they make you play russian roulette(sp):shootself

tucker said:
hey man, dont hate on the asians...havent you ever seen the movie where they make you play russian roulette(sp):shootself

true. i dont think i have balls for that.

Finfan86 said:
Mays is up there for me, proably top 3 with Ruth and Ted Williams. I think ted gets cheated. The 4 years he missed he was averaging about 35 hrs a year. So 4 x 35 = 140. 521+140= 661.

Not only did he have the home runs but was the last person to bat over .400 in a season. (plus i respect people that fight for our country, unlike that bum Ali)

It's all about the era in which players played in. It's too difficult in any sport to say who is the best ever because of the different talent levels they played with. Ruth was by-far the best player in his era, but I think as time goes by players get better as a whole and that he may have not had the same success in today's game as he had when he played. It goes for all sports. This is a Dolphins site so i'll bring up football and the NFL has incredibly big guys playing; I don't know how good some of the players from the past would be playing in today's game. It's all opinion anyways. Ted Williams was right-handed and batted left-handed which makes his power numbers even more remarkable. Still he'll get the Dan Marino treatment because he never won a championship. It's great to discuss who is the best ever but it's all subjective and I think it's more about "being in the conversation," because their will probably never be an unanimous decision for who is the best ever in any sport.

djfresh47 said:
It's all about the era in which players played in. It's too difficult in any sport to say who is the best ever because of the different talent levels they played with. Ruth was by-far the best player in his era, but I think as time goes by players get better as a whole and that he may have not had the same success in today's game as he had when he played. It goes for all sports. This is a Dolphins site so i'll bring up football and the NFL has incredibly big guys playing; I don't know how good some of the players from the past would be playing in today's game. It's all opinion anyways. Ted Williams was right-handed and batted left-handed which makes his power numbers even more remarkable. Still he'll get the Dan Marino treatment because he never won a championship. It's great to discuss who is the best ever but it's all subjective and I think it's more about "being in the conversation," because their will probably never be an unanimous decision for who is the best ever in any sport.

I disagree.

BEST EVER
NBA-Jordan
NHL-Gretzky
MLB-Ruth
Horse Racing-Secratariet
Poker--Doyle Brunson
Soccer--Pela

Only in the NFL, Tennis, and golf is there NOT a clear cut "greatest of all time", but in most sports there is no debate.

MikeO said:
I disagree.

BEST EVER
NBA-Jordan
NHL-Gretzky
MLB-Ruth
Horse Racing-Secratariet
Poker--Doyle Brunson
Soccer--Pela

Only in the NFL, Tennis, and golf is there NOT a clear cut "greatest of all time", but in most sports there is no debate.

Jordan was the most marketable player but was he clearly better than Chamberlin or Russell? Was Gretzky clearly better than Howe? Secretariet i'll give ya. Babe Ruth is the biggest sports ICON in American history but how good would he be playing in today's game? Like I said it's all subjective. I hate Poker and Soccer so I can't give any opinion on that. Championships elevate a players status in the minds of most fans as to how great they are; which is why I believe Tom Brady will be remembered as one of the best ever; but we are talking about individual so it is very difficult to say who is the best ever in any sport. I think most players in today's game are much better than the guys who played in Babe's era but Babe was more dominant in his era than any player in today's game so an arguement can be made either way. It's all opinion on to who is the best ever. A thread comes up every once in a while in the main forum onto who is the best Qb ever and because most people are Dolphins fans they say Marino which may not be wrong but a great arguement can be made for other Qb's but whose to say they're wrong, and other people are right?

Back
Top Bottom