Bonds Ties Ruth at 714 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bonds Ties Ruth at 714

UF Fin Kat said:
i hope he gets the "record" soon so we can stop talking about him. individual records should not take precedent over the actual outcomes of games. funny how ESPN glorifies this but makes a big deal when someone like owens individualizes himself.

True. BUT this is the biggest record in all of sports. Baseball is this country's pastime and goes back pre 1900's. To be the all time home run king. This isn't just some everyday record. This is "THE" record.

MikeO said:
True. BUT this is the biggest record in all of sports. Baseball is this country's pastime and goes back pre 1900's. To be the all time home run king. This isn't just some everyday record. This is "THE" record.
who cares...

the one reason I've disliked "records" in any sports is often the people who initially set them (keeping in mind a lot of 'major' records get broken several times) set them just doing their normal thing, playing their normal style of ball.

Often times today (and even i nthe old days) the players who took over the record often were "trying" to beat the record, consciously attempting to break the record. To me I think that detracts from teamplay because the player, often due to pressure by the media, is more focused on the record, whether he wants to be or not, than the game at hand.

UF Fin Kat said:
this isn't even a record!!! 2nd place!!!

but it is Babe Ruth. The greatest player ever.

This is definitely significant. Who cares? Any baseball fan should.

Sadaharu Oh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadaharu_Oh

Sadaharu Oh retired in 1980 at age 40, having amassed a Japanese baseball record of 2,786 hits, 2,170 RBIs, and a lifetime batting average of .301. Moreover, his record of 868 career home runs is 113 more than Hank Aaron's Major League Baseball home run record of 755.

I know that there are people who believe taking steroids is "crossing the line" but to me I couldnt care less. I think every era has their superstars and Bonds is the best player of this era. I think its impossible to compare eras because of the variables involved. Bottom line he's going to be number two alltime and perhaps number one when its all said and done and though some people of this era may have a problem with it, the next era of kids arent going to care less, they're just going to look at the numbers the way all of us did when looking at Ruth, Gehrig, etc.

UF Fin Kat said:
who cares...

well you do since you are here talking about it! :shakeno: :shakeno:

Nappy Roots said:
but it is Babe Ruth. The greatest player ever.

This is definitely significant. Who cares? Any baseball fan should.

I don't think Ruth is the greatest player ever. He certainly is the most iconic player probably in all of professional sports. He's a legend and Barry Bonds will become a legend also but he'll never surpass Ruth because he is the most iconic figure in the history of American sports.

djfresh47 said:
I don't think Ruth is the greatest player ever. He certainly is the most iconic player probably in all of professional sports. He's a legend and Barry Bonds will become a legend also but he'll never surpass Ruth because he is the most iconic figure in the history of American sports.

then who do you believe is the best ever?

Back
Top Bottom