Boomer - Cutler a Stretch @ 15? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer - Cutler a Stretch @ 15?

Becks7

Starter
Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not.....

Cutler catching eye of NFL draft analystsBy Brett Hait, bhait@nashvillecitypaper.com
December 14, 2005
Most NFL Draft analysts believe Southern California’s Matt Leinart is the clear choice to be the first quarterback selected in April.

Mike Mayock, draft analyst for the NFL Network, is not as certain.

Mayock has recently scoured as many as five games tapes from Vanderbilt’s 2005 season and believes former Commodore Jay Cutler might be better than Leinart.

“I’m not ready to say that Cutler is not a better prospect,†Mayock said. “To take it a step further, if they switched jerseys, I think USC is still undefeated, but I’m not sure Vandy wins the five games they won.â€Â

Leinart, the 2004 Heisman Trophy winner, has led the Trojans to 34 consecutive victories and an appearance in the Jan. 4 Rose Bowl, where they will face Texas for the national championship. Cutler quarterbacked Vanderbilt for four years but never enjoyed a winning season or appeared in a bowl game.

Mayock said those differences create the perception, perhaps falsely, that Leinart is the superior player.

“I’m a very, very strong proponent of Jay Cutler,†said Mayock, a former New York Giants defensive back. “I believe he’s a first-round quarterback. There’s no doubt in my mind.â€Â

Mayock said Cutler offers two skills that tantalize NFL scouts: arm strength and athletic ability.

Mayock is particularly impressed with Cutler’s passing skills, which sparkled as Mayock watched tape this week of Vanderbilt’s Sept. 10 victory at Arkansas.

“He makes a throw on fourth-and-10 with about a minute and a half left in the game, where he hits a deep in-cut, flat-footed, gets smacked in the face off the blitz, the game is on the line, and he puts the ball in a tiny window,†Mayock said. “I’m not sure three or four NFL quarterbacks could make the throw he made. After that, he takes them down the field for a touchdown, and they win the game.â€Â

Mayock said Cutler is not without deficiencies, however.

“I think he has some bad mechanics,†Mayock said. “He throws flat-footed and throws off his back foot and doesn’t step into throws. But my conclusion is that he probably gets smacked in the face a lot by being the quarterback at Vanderbilt.

“There are some questions about him, especially on the mechanics side. Scouts have some of the same thoughts that I do. Can we coach this kid? Sometimes he makes bad decisions, but is that a bad decision because you’re trying to make something happen with a historically bad football team, or is it a situation where the kid is never going to learn not to make a bad throw?â€Â

Cutler’s ability to complete passes and move the football, even while lacking polish, reminds many scouts of Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre, Mayock said.

“The similarities to Brett Favre are that Cutler is a little bit of a gunslinger,†Mayock said. “He ca throw the ball better flat-footed than a lot of guys can stepping into the throw. Am I ready to say he’s the next Brett Favre? Absolutely not. Am I ready to say that, in my opinion, he’s a legitimate first-round pick today? Yes.â€Â

Becks7 said:
Maybe, maybe not.....

Cutler catching eye of NFL draft analystsBy Brett Hait, bhait@nashvillecitypaper.com
December 14, 2005
Most NFL Draft analysts believe Southern California’s Matt Leinart is the clear choice to be the first quarterback selected in April.

Mayock has recently scoured as many as five games tapes from Vanderbilt’s 2005 season and believes former Commodore Jay Cutler might be better than Leinart.

“I’m not ready to say that Cutler is not a better prospect,†Mayock said. “To take it a step further, if they switched jerseys, I think USC is still undefeated, but I’m not sure Vandy wins the five games they won.â€Â

Leinart, the 2004 Heisman Trophy winner, has led the Trojans to 34 consecutive victories and an appearance in the Jan. 4 Rose Bowl, where they will face Texas for the national championship. Cutler quarterbacked Vanderbilt for four years but never enjoyed a winning season or appeared in a bowl game.

Mayock said those differences create the perception, perhaps falsely, that Leinart is the superior player.

“I’m a very, very strong proponent of Jay Cutler,†said Mayock, a former New York Giants defensive back. “I believe he’s a first-round quarterback. There’s no doubt in my mind.â€Â

Mayock said Cutler offers two skills that tantalize NFL scouts: arm strength and athletic ability.

Mayock is particularly impressed with Cutler’s passing skills, which sparkled as Mayock watched tape this week of Vanderbilt’s Sept. 10 victory at Arkansas.

“He makes a throw on fourth-and-10 with about a minute and a half left in the game, where he hits a deep in-cut, flat-footed, gets smacked in the face off the blitz, the game is on the line, and he puts the ball in a tiny window,†Mayock said. “I’m not sure three or four NFL quarterbacks could make the throw he made. After that, he takes them down the field for a touchdown, and they win the game.â€Â

“I think he has some bad mechanics,†Mayock said. “He throws flat-footed and throws off his back foot and doesn’t step into throws. But my conclusion is that he probably gets smacked in the face a lot by being the quarterback at Vanderbilt.

“There are some questions about him, especially on the mechanics side. Scouts have some of the same thoughts that I do. Can we coach this kid? Sometimes he makes bad decisions, but is that a bad decision because you’re trying to make something happen with a historically bad football team, or is it a situation where the kid is never going to learn not to make a bad throw?â€Â

Cutler’s ability to complete passes and move the football, even while lacking polish, reminds many scouts of Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre, Mayock said.

“The similarities to Brett Favre are that Cutler is a little bit of a gunslinger,†Mayock said. “He can throw the ball better flat-footed than a lot of guys can stepping into the throw. Am I ready to say he’s the next Brett Favre?Absolutely not. Am I ready to say that, in my opinion, he’s a legitimate first-round pick today? Yes.â€Â
I asked Boomer this same question about a week ago and he said Cutler will go mid- late first round. So no, Cutler is not a reach at #15.

interesting... but yet another cutler post. I'm still a little hesistant on this guy. Been getting the same sort of hype A. Smith got last year, man did I know he was going to be a bust. I know Alex Smith was only a rookie this year but he'll be the next Ryan Leaf.

That's a good read.It seems to me like he's the kind of guy that could drive coaches and fans crazy from time to time.If he's forcing so many trows then chances are he'll do the same thing in the NFL...at least for a while.I guess if he's coached the right way then he could get rid of the bad habits....it seems the question is, will he ever be snart enough to not lose the game? I think it goes without saying that he's got the talent to win the game but how long will it take for him to stop the mistakes that young QB's make? I'm sure that Nick and company will study all that and I trust Saban to make the right choice.

Ozzy rules!!

Go Italy 2006 world cup

Bellson said:
interesting... but yet another cutler post. I'm still a little hesistant on this guy. Been getting the same sort of hype A. Smith got last year, man did I know he was going to be a bust. I know Alex Smith was only a rookie this year but he'll be the next Ryan Leaf.

I have never seen the guy and some of the stuff I read indicates he's inconsistent with accuracy.

Just a feeling, but after workouts and the Combine, If he comes out, Omar Jacobs jumps over Cutler.

PS

I'm not saying he will be better.

Becks7 said:
Maybe, maybe not.....

December 14, 2005

“The similarities to Brett Favre are that Cutler is a little bit of a gunslinger,†Mayock said. “He can throw the ball better flat-footed than a lot of guys can stepping into the throw. Am I ready to say he’s the next Brett Favre? Absolutely not. Am I ready o say that, in my opinion, he’s a legitimate first-round pick today? Yes.â€Â

I'd rather have Young!
ssshhh..we can't get leinart, so we don't want our another qb option stock going that high :D

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Just a feeling, but after workouts and the Combine, If he comes out, Omar Jacobs jumps over Cutler.

PS

Increases our chances of getting Jay Cutler.

NJFINSFAN1 said:

PS

Wow, I for one would be very surprised if that were to happen. Then again, all it would take is for Jacobs to work with a QB coach, change his mechanics to a classic drop back style, and actually look good and accurate under live fire drills during his workouts.

Then again, he may be miles away from being able to make that happen. I've heard that he's not an impressive practice guy. One college commentator that was commenting on one of his games said he saw him in practice a couple years back and said to himself this guy will NEVER be a good college QB.

ckparrothead said:
Wow, I for one would be very surprised if that were to happen. Then again, all it would take is for Jacobs to work with a QB coach, change his mechanics to a classic drop back style, and actually look good and accurate under live fire drills during his workouts.

Then again, he may be miles away from being able to make that happen. I've heard that he's not an impressive practice guy. One college commentator that was commenting on one of his games said he saw him in practice a couple years back and said to himself this guy will NEVER be a good college QB.

That guy who said that is eating crow :lol:

Winbaby#23 said:
I asked Boomer this same question about a week ago and he said Cutler will go mid- late first round. So no, Cutler is not a reach at #15.

He is hardly the final word on how a draft will go, the feeling I'm getting is that his stock is rising fast, the Senior Bowl will be very important, if he does well there he will never get past the middle of the first round.

I was saying this kid will be a first rounder when many here said he was a second rounder at best.

And btw that article is CLASSIC Peyton Manning syndrome stuff.

He acknowledged some good, STINGING criticisms of Cutler, yet just disregards Leinart's body of work and focuses on the talents next to each other on tape.

Focus on Peyton Manning on tape with the Colts and, say, his brother Eli Manning with the Giants...disregard Peyton's body of work, and you'd probably come away thinking Eli is the better QB. More natural talent, less to work with, etc.

It is what happens when you're at the top for a while. Familiarity breeds contempt. Peyton Manning was so good so long at Tennessee he suffered from the same stuff when he and Ryan Leaf were coming out. There was a BIG controversy over which QB should have gone first.

Cutler is a nice prospect, but that throwing off the back foot crap is NOT going to cut it in the NFL, I don't care what kind of arm or accuracy you've got, and he does it so often that you have to wonder if it is a habit you are ever really going to get him to break. Then you have to wonder what kind of offense you're going to put him in. Are you going to put him in a gunslinging offense like ours where you'll have to count on his self-discipline to not have him throwing off the back foot and using bad mechanics, or are you going to toss him into a WCO that relies heavily on rhythm, timing, and mechanics to get him to stay disciplined. Remember, Favre succeeded best in the WCO.

ckparrothead said:
And btw that article is CLASSIC Peyton Manning syndrome stuff.

He acknowledged some good, STINGING criticisms of Cutler, yet just disregards Leinart's body of work and focuses on the talents next to each other on tape.

Focus on Peyton Manning on tape with the Colts and, say, his brother Eli Manning with the Giants...disregard Peyton's body of work, and you'd probably come away thinking Eli is the better QB. More natural talent, less to work with, etc.

It is what happens when you're at the top for a while. Familiarity breeds contempt. Peyton Manning was so good so long at Tennessee he suffered from the same stuff when he and Ryan Leaf were coming out. There was a BIG controversy over which QB should have gone first.

Cutler is a nice prospect, but that throwing off the back foot crap is NOT going to cut it in the NFL, I don't care what kind of arm or accuracy you've got, and he does it so often that you have to wonder if it is a habit you are ever really going to get him to break. Then you have to wonder what kind of offense you're going to put him in. Are you going to put him in a gunslinging offense like ours where you'll have to count on his self-discipline to not have him throwing off the back foot and using bad mechanics, or are you going to toss him into a WCO that relies heavily on rhythm, timing, and mechanics to get him to stay disciplined. Remember, Favre succeeded best in the WCO.

The bad habits and mechanics such as throwing off the back foot are undoubtedly a symptom of playing on a very bad football team that greatly diminishes the amount of time he has to execute a play.

All of this is fixable with good coaching and playing with a team on a level playing field with your opposition, Vanderbilt was NEVER on a level playing field with its SEC foes from an overall talent standpoint.

Bellson said:

trust me when I say that no matter what he will not be the next Ryan Leaf. Their personalities are a lot different and whether Smith doesn't have the talent to make it or not he will put in the effort. Leaf was my high school football QB. I have known him since I was about 10. He never had the desire to work hard and do what ever it takes.

Back
Top Bottom