Boomer's Top 15 | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer's Top 15

That's pretty bold. Yours is the first list of Top 20 Prospects I've seen that doesn't include Marshawn Lynch.

Not really. I see 20+ players better than Lynch. And not with the baggage that Lynch carries.

This is how I see it on March 31st 2007. I refuse the right to change my mind ;)

1. Calvin Johnson
3. Brady Quinn
4. Joe Thomas
8. Gaines Adams
15. JaMarcus Russell

Unless the Fins trade down, it's safe to say we don't have a realistic shot at drafting Johnson, Quinn, Thomas, Adams, or Russell.

2. Adrian Peterson
5. Patrick Willis
9. Amobi Okoye
11. Jamaal Anderson
12. LaRon Landry
20. Alan Branch

Simple math dictates three of these guys will still be on the board when the Fins pick. Question is: Which three?

It's interesting to note that the only offensive player is Peterson. Here's a thought: If Levi Brown is off the board, and Adrian Peterson falls, the Fins may very well draft Peterson.

Think about it: Ricky Williams is no guarantee. And most teams are going with a 2-back system nowadays. Plus we could always trade Williams, Brown, or Peterson at the end of the season.

I would think Mueller would try to trade down and acquire another pick or two, but if he couldn't swing a deal, then it wouldn't surprise me if we end up with Adrian Peterson on our roster in 2007.

6. Adam Carriker
Another Beast. I personally saw him a couple of times in 2006 and followed his game closely and didn't think he had a 'great' year. But he played well enough and you can't argue with the attitude from moment 1 of this draft process; he's re-written the textbook for attitude, application, dedication and flat out ability. He can be a 3 or a 5 technique guy for us and whilst he's probably not going to be a 12/14 sack guy, his ability to collapse the pocket, to shut down the run and chase down plays from the backside make him a very valuable commodity . Looks like another can't miss guy. The white Richard Seymour.

As good as Carriker is, I haven't seen him rated in anybody's Top Ten (except John Murphy from Yahoo!). If the Fins want him, we should be able to get him.

7. Ted Ginn Jr.
This might be considered high, but this is a legitimate 4.2 forty guy, who can catch, who hasn't gotten close to scraping the ceiling of his talent. I’ve said it for ages, but his x-factor ability on offense, to dominate that strong side of the field and to absolutely have to be accounted for on every play, makes him so valuable. And we haven’t even talked return game. An offensive guru like Cam should be able to get him the ball as a WR as the Z, in the slot, on reverses, middle screens, you could line him up as a back or even as a run/pass option at QB. AND he can play some corner as well if need be. Has the work ethic and mentality to dominate.

I like Ted Ginn. I'd like him even more at #17 with an additional 2nd round pick for us.

10. Reggie Nelson
A JUCO transfer, he's a little undersized weight wise, but he's ripped, he's thick and he has a big bubble, which he uses to perfection when he brings the load. Really rangy, ridiculously athletic and outstanding when the ball's in the air. He just makes plays and you can't argue with what he brings to the table as an all rounder. I actually think he could play SS for Miami as well as the free.

Gotta give you major props here, Boomer. While Nelson hasn't cracked anybody else's Top Ten, he is creeping up almost every scout's draft board.

13. Darrelle Revis
Have liked this kid since forever. Can play cover or zone, has great size, good speed, but what I love is his instincts to drop off a route and come underneath to make the play and his ability against the run. I actually think his best position might be free safety, which is a compliment, considering I think he's the 13th best player in the draft as a CB. I want to see a better technique in his backpedal – he plays high, but he flips his hips without losing anything and has good awareness of the ball. Love him.

Half the scouting reports I've seen have Revis going late 1st round. The other half have him about where you put him, Boomer. At any rate, he doesn't make sense at #9. (Unless he turns out to be a Pro-Bowl corner.)

No way we draft Revis unless we trade down.

14. Leon Hall
Fundamentally sound corner. Probably not in the mould of a great, All Pro type, but likely to be a pretty solid #1 for 6/7 years. Like Revis he has punt return ablities. He covers well, tackles well, runs well, he's smart. He's good. Really good. But just not great. Thought he had a disappointing senior season.

Mel Kiper, Pete Prisco, Fox Sports, and ESPN all have Hall rated at 9-11. So he is a very viable option for the Fins I'd say. The other thing I really like about Hall is the fact that he has no character issues. At all. While some of the later prospects present serious concerns: Marcus McCauley, Eric Wright, and Jonathan Wade to name three.

If we do go defense, I wouldn't be surprised if Hall was the guy.

Who would you pull to replace with Lynch?

That's an excellent question. I'd say Lynch gets an average rating of 15. So all things being equal (on Boomer's list) Russell would get bumped.

And if I was to take it to 20, my next 5 would be:

16. Chis Houston
17. Levi Brown
18. Jarvis Moss
19. Robert Meacham
20. Alan Branch

It's hard to know who to believe, so I've been collecting everybody's prospect ratings, and then I average them out. Here's where these five fall (including Boomer's rating):

11. Alan Branch
12. Levi Brown
22. Chis Houston
23. Jarvis Moss
24. Robert Meacham

These are just averages. Not my rating. But an average of every rating I've seen for them.

Anyone rising or falling as of late? Do not really pay attention to draft boards....

(Not necessarily to Boom, just anyone)

Staley, Houston, Revis, Steve Smith rising.

Brown tumbling a tad

Staley, Houston, Revis, Steve Smith rising.

Brown tumbling a tad

Actually, Gil Brandt just moved Levi Brown into his Top Ten. So he made up some ground there.

I'd say Marshall Yanda, Dane Uperesa, and Andy Alleman are rising. As well as Mike Walker and Reggie Nelson.

One man's opinion does not a draft make.

Alleman's stock is going so high, he might sneak R1.

Actually, Gil Brandt just moved Levi Brown into his Top Ten. So he made up some ground there.

I'd say Marshall Yanda, Dane Uperesa, and Andy Alleman are rising. As well as Mike Walker and Reggie Nelson.

I haven't heard of these guys. Could you give a little insight?

Thanks.....

Half the scouting reports I've seen have Revis going late 1st round. The other half have him about where you put him, Boomer. At any rate, he doesn't make sense at #9. (Unless he turns out to be a Pro-Bowl corner.)

No way we draft Revis unless we trade down.

Not buying that at all.

I haven't heard of these guys. Could you give a little insight?

Thanks.....

Yanda is a T/G from Iowa, Uperesa is a power T from Hawaii who Houck has interviewed twice, running the Hawaii pro day. Alleman is a G/C from Akron, again, another who Miami like.

Back
Top Bottom