Brandon Marshall's run and fumble. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brandon Marshall's run and fumble.

McMichael

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Runners like marshall seem to fumble a bit often. I read some people bashing him about that fumble and saying he needs to learn how to hold onto the ball, but I disagree. Keep running the same way in my opinion.

I think it's fair to say that brandon marshall would be in the TOP TEN hardest runners to tackle in the open field, some other names I'd include in that top ten would be mike vick, reggie bush and calvin johnson.

I do not think they are worried about fumbles nearly as much as they are worried about avoiding defenders. In order to keep their body agile and loose, I don't think they can be worried about having their arm provide an iron grip on the ball. Michael vick often runs with the ball clutched in just his hand, not even under his arm at all. This is obviously for balance / agility reasons. Yet anyone would tell you he's one of the hardest people to bring down in the open field.

Vick once had 19 fumbles over 2 seasons, same with johnson (6 fumbles over 2 seasons) marshall (7 fumbles over 2 seasons) and bush (9 fumbles over 2 seasons). Ricky williams in his prime was also extremely hard to bring down in the open field, yet fumbled very often.

The positives outweigh the negatives, the are not worried about that iron grip on the ball simply because they need that arm for balance and agility purposes. Look at the way these guys carry the ball sometimes and I think they agree it's worth it.

Let the flaming begin. I expressed my opinion on a board full of cliquey high school type people. (not all, but we know who I'm talking about)

it's ok I'm ready to be flamed

I agree I will allw marshall a fumble here and there.. When you average the YAC like he does fumbles happen.

i was with ya til you dissed your audience, that was in poor taste.
do i disagree with your last statement ? no
do i think anything outweighs ball security ? no

its all nice and good if you can keep the ball away from the defender, but all that shifty running and changing of direction allows the guys behind you to catch up. you never see them, but all they see is the ball floating at your side.

you need one arm free for a stiff arm
the other arm should have a deathgrip at all times

i think skill position players should do more workouts on hands wrists and fingers

Did you see how Marshall held the ball before he fumbled? He had his arm wrapped around the middle of the ball, leaving both ends exposed. Sorry, but there is no excuse for that. That's Football 101.

What the hell are you talking about!! why does running and handling the ball be connected , unless ofcourse he is running with his legs and also using his legs to hold the ball!!!!

maybe marshall should use his hands to hold the ball then his legs while running.

Back
Top Bottom