Braylon Edwards is overrated | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Braylon Edwards is overrated

PROUDMONKEY

Practice Squad
Reaction score
It is 330 am and I cant sleep, :fire: all I can think about is Braylon EdwardsBraylon EdwardsBraylon Edwards
This cat is going to be the key to our draft. I dont buy the article stating that Minnesota is no longer interested in trading up with us to acquire him. No telling what they will do when we are on the clock, or what Minny will do when they are on the clock AFTER we have selected Braylon Edwards.
In Saban I trust, I have lived in Louisiana for the past three years and have followed him pretty closely. He knows what he is doing. But I just cant digest the concept of drafting Braylon Edwards and keeping him if we are unable to acquire more picks. If we are unable to trade out of the #2 hole, we dont pick again until like #70 in round 3, and only 5-6 picks total. In my humble opinion we need to add more young talent from rounds 1-3 this year if possible.
On a scale of 1 to 10, I would say our need for a RB is at about a 9, compared to our need for a WR at about a 5-6. Add to this the concept that a new stud RB will touch the rock 25 times a game compared to Braylon Edwards catching the ball on average 6-7 times a game at best, I cant see how we dont select a RB with the #2 position if we are unable to trade down. A high quality RB touching the ball 25 times a game can control the game and the clock, a WR can not do so.
Dont get me wrong, I love Braylon Edwards, if he stays healthy, this stud will be a difference maker in the NFL, IM just convinced (right wrong or indiferrent) that a RB at number2 is the right pick for the Dolphins this year because it is a greatest need and it will have the greatest immediate impact.

Finally my ideal mock
#7-remaining RB of the top 3 stud RBs
#18-QB from Auburn
Round 3-best available WR
Remaining picks- best available Defensive players
:)

PROUDMONKEY said:
It is 330 am and I cant sleep, :fire: all I can think about is Braylon EdwardsBraylon EdwardsBraylon Edwards
This cat is going to be the key to our draft. I dont buy the article stating that Minnesota is no longer interested in trading up with us to acquire him. No telling what they will do when we are on the clock, or what Minny will do when they are on the clock AFTER we have selected Braylon Edwards.
In Saban I trust, I have lived in Louisiana for the past three years and have followed him pretty closely. He knows what he is doing. But I just cant digest the concept of drafting Braylon Edwards and keeping him if we are unable to acquire more picks. If we are unable to trade out of the #2 hole, we dont pick again until like #70 in round 3, and only 5-6 picks total. In my humble opinion we need to add more young talent from rounds 1-3 this year if possible.
On a scale of 1 to 10, I would say our need for a RB is at about a 9, compared to our need for a WR at about a 5-6. Add to this the concept that a new stud RB will touch the rock 25 times a game compared to Braylon Edwards catching the ball on average 6-7 times a game at best, I cant see how we dont select a RB with the #2 position if we are unable to trade down. A high quality RB touching the ball 25 times a game can control the game and the clock, a WR can not do so.
Dont get me wrong, I love Braylon Edwards, if he stays healthy, this stud will be a difference maker in the NFL, IM just convinced (right wrong or indiferrent) that a RB at number2 is the right pick for the Dolphins this year because it is a greatest need and it will have the greatest immediate impact.

Finally my ideal mock
#18-QB from Auburn
I was sorta with you until you mocked Campbell at #18. WAY too high, horrible value.

The thing is we can get a starting halfback on day two, like Sproles or Clarett, who could theoretically turn out to be stars as successfull as the boys in the first.

I'm not saying that they will, however, but its possible.

When looking at day 2 WR's vs. Braylen Edwards or Mike Williams, or even Troy Williamson, there's just really nothing.

And we do desperately need a solid 3rd or 2nd receiver to go with our 2 and our new 3 wide sets that Linehan will run.

So if we're forced to stick at #2, with only 4 more picks in the draft, its more likely that we'll hit on a good RB later than hitting on a solid receiver on day two.

I'd rather have Braylen Edwards/Mike Williams & Darren Sproles

than

Ronnie Brown/Cadillac Williams & Craig Bragg/Courtney Roby

And then we think about Chambers. The truth is, and I love him to death, we can no longer afford to have a 5'10 go to guy at WR.

Braylen could race Chris and keep up with him. I don't think his hands are as good, but Chris's hands are unbelieveable. What I do know is that Braylen's got at least 5 inches on Chris, is really physical and I really like that.

All that said.

If we pick at #2 I really hope that its either Mike Williams or Cadillac Williams. Edwards wouldn't bother me either.

South Florida said:
The thing is we can get a starting halfback on day two, like Sproles or Clarett, who could theoretically turn out to be stars as successfull as the boys in the first.

I'm not saying that they will, however, but its possible.

When looking at day 2 WR's vs. Braylen Edwards or Mike Williams, or even Troy Williamson, there's just really nothing.

And we do desperately need a solid 3rd or 2nd receiver to go with our 2 and our new 3 wide sets that Linehan will run.

So if we're forced to stick at #2, with only 4 more picks in the draft, its more likely that we'll hit on a good RB later than hitting on a solid receiver on day two.

I'd rather have Braylen Edwards/Mike Williams & Darren Sproles

than

Ronnie Brown/Cadillac Williams & Craig Bragg/Courtney Roby

And then we think about Chambers. The truth is, and I love him to death, we can no longer afford to have a 5'10 go to guy at WR.

Braylen could race Chris and keep up with him. I don't think his hands are as good, but Chris's hands are unbelieveable. What I do know is that Braylen's got at least 5 inches on Chris, is really physical and I really like that.

Very good points, I guess we are splitting hairs arent we?

The QB Campbell will go in the first round, if we dont grab him someone will.
He is way overlooked, Saban played against him for 4 years.

PROUDMONKEY said:
Dont get me wrong, I love Braylon Edwards, if he stays healthy, this stud will be a difference maker in the NFL

Why is this thread called Braylon Overrated?

I agree about Campbell, I like him and would love to see him here (The next Culpepper, yeah dreamin in that a bit but .....)

i think the redskins may take him at 25

People need to understand that we dont need a stud RB,we dont need a Ricky anymore, by commitee was done in Minn, and it can be done here.....a 3 or 4th round RB will be fine.....agreed

PROUDMONKEY said:
The QB Campbell will go in the first round, if we dont grab him someone will.
He is way overlooked, Saban played against him for 4 years.

Does anyone think that playing in the SEC against Saban is going to make any difference in this draft? It sounds like he has been high on Edwards and Smith...both from outside of the SEC. We may be factoring in a non-factor here.

WR is definitely a need for us. We could still take a RB with our 3rd round pick. Also, taking Edwards could give us a larger window to make a trade. For example, the Vikes may not be interested in trading up, because they believe they can get Mike Williams at #7. Well, what if we take Edwards at #2, and someone else grabs Williams before #7. Suddenly, the Vikes may be willing to deal those 2 picks for Edwards.

Just Imagine how Amazing our passing attack would be with Edwards. Chambers, Booker and then Edwards as our top 3 would be insane. Edwards could have the type of impact that Chambers had in his rookie season. And that is not even including McMicheal. With all these recieving threats that should help to open up the running game as opposing teams defenses will have to play the pass first with 3 #1 recievers and a top tier TE. That would be Scary

Again we are splitting hairs, my comment about Saban in the SEC was only meant he probably has a greater knowledge from a scouting standpoint on just how good some of these players from Auburn are since he has seen them year in and year out and had to prepare to play for them. It would not suprise me to see 2-3 of his picks on draft weekend come from the SEC only beacuse he may have a greater knowledge of some of these players. LAst thing Im trying to do here is say the SEC is the best college footbal confernce in football or anything like that.

PROUDMONKEY said:

Finally my ideal mock
#18-QB from Auburn
stop thinking about Bralyon... think about someone like Kelly Brook or Elisha Cuthbert :evil:

The NE Patroits won 3 of the last 4 Superbowls and their receivers are no better than what we already have. Tampa Bay superbowl year, they were a great defense and running team, Denvers 2 Superbowls were because of a RB. St Louis is really the only exception in the last 10-13 superbowls where A strong WR team has won a Superbowl.

All the others, the key were defense and a great RB, one good QB and ONE good WR. We already have a great WR in my opinion. Cowboys had Emmit for thier 3 superbowls.
Having said that, yes I agree with everyone a RB in the later rounds, like a Terrel Davis, can certainly be had. All Im saying is to me, a Stud RB wherever we find him in the draft who is able to carry the ball 25 times a game is needed, and Im hoping somehow we end up with one of the top 3 in this years draft.

Personally, I believe we need "something" on offense that allows us to dictate to opposing defenses a majority of the time. Granted, defenses in the Top 5 are usually dictating to offenses. But I believe this new regime needs some offensive "bread and butter". While we are putting the pieces together, we need something that works within our offensive philosophy NOW in which will keep us competitive until the final piece is in place. We need to help build momentum for this year and the ones to follow. Wins are the only way you do it.

I believe you need to analyze the Linehan system and understand WHY it works. It's a hybrid of a spread offense with the deep ball and speed built-in. The corner stones are the QB and WRs. We've seen ANY number of RBs plugged into this system and share in success. However, when Moss was out and when he lacked a running mate, they were not AS explosive as they could be.

As the system comes to Davie, I think a hybrid variation will involve McMichael. He's an "X" factor for us. He's more athletic than the H-Backs previously used by the Vikings.

At QB, we have a relative unknown. An unknown we've already picked in this draft (2nd Round). Now, look at our WRs. Chambers (clutch hands and deep ball), Booker (possession and routes) and ?????. And here is the most glaring hole I see: 3rd WR.

This WR could potentially help us dictate to defenses. Imagine McMichael, Chambers, Booker and Edwards/Williams. Can you quickly see how the pressure on our OLine, QB and RB are alleviated? This gives Feeley another year to prove himself. He does have tools that will work in this system. It's not like we have Ryan Leaf back there. This kid has poise, grit and athletic ability. I think we should give him one more year. Meanwhile, let's put some OTHER pieces into the puzzle.

If we draft Smith or RB, I believe you inheritently place tremendous pressure on the prospect to deliver this year in PRESSURE situations. I weigh the benefits of giving a more polished Feeley another year with Chambers, Booker, McMichael and now Edwards/Williams VERSUS giving Feeley a new RB (who must learn blitz pickup) and the same WRs and TE he had last year. OR, Smith the same WRs, TE and RBs as last year.

If we don't draft the 3rd WR who could be a game breaker, we allow the defense to bring that one extra guy into the pressure scheme to attack a new young QB or RB.

Yes, I have considered several options over the past weeks. I like Smith too. But, in the end, we are building/rebuilding and that cannot be forgotten. No matter how many big names are on the field for us, we still have a new FO, schemes and players. This takes time to institute. Until then, we need athletic talent on the field to compensate for the lack of cohesion and execution we will encoutner.

Spread the field and make the defense play honest. That's my 2 pennies for now.

Back
Top Bottom