Brees/CBA question | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brees/CBA question

super_slash

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
assuming that:

a. you can guarantee any years salary(a rarity in the NFL)

b. Brees' shoulder checks out

c. no salary cap in '07

and knowing that wayne has deep pockets

could we guarantee Brees a **** load of cash for his '07 salary, not a roster bonus just a straight guaranteed base salary?

I am asking this in the case where we are at a cap disadvantage(eg Detroit) to other Brees suitors, we could get around this year's cap with Huizenga's deep pockets

No because

1- we should want a salary cap its good for football

2- If we do that and there indeed is a cap in 07 we are screwed

super_slash said:
please don't answer if you don't know

I DO know

and yes we could guarantee an assload of money for next season but it would be stupid

We dont have to be under next years cap this year so we could offer him 200000 million dollars in guaranteed money for next year , but if there ends up being a cap we are screwed

sorry, I just didn't want it to turn into a referendum on the CBA

but if there ends up being a cap we are screwed

not really, they would allow us to pro-rate that like a bonus

or there would have to be some amnesty provision like teams have to conform to the new cap by '08 or '09

super_slash said:
sorry, I just didn't want it to turn into a referendum on the CBA

not really, they would allow us to pro-rate that like a bonus

or there would have to be some amnesty provision like teams have to conform to the new cap by '08 or '09

I think they will get a deal done and 07 will have a salary cap, thats why I say guaranteed money in 07 could come back to haunt us

Think about it lets say its a four year contract lets say 27 million up front and a 13 Million signing bonus *made up numbers here*

Ok the 27 million is spread over four years so lets say

Year 1- 5.0 Million
Year 2- 10.0 Million
Year 3- 6 Million
Year 4- 6 Million

Now you have the base salary for each year mapped out, with most the guaranteed money in the year you predict to be uncapped

Now add the signing bonus and you end up like this

Year 1- Total of 7 Million
Year 2- Total of 16 Million
Year 3- Total of 8 Million
Year 4- Total of 9 Million

Ok now yes we have effectivly based most of his contract into one year, but what happens if there is a salary cap in 07? Then we are burning a LOT of room on just one guy

Hope that made some sense to someone lol

they cannot "recap" the league, they cannot punish teams for adhereing to the rules

we give Brees a 10 million bonus, a guaranteed salary of 15 million in '07

the league would either have to recap in '08 or allow us to spread the 15 million over x years

what it boils down to is the new CBA would have to start in '08

Back
Top Bottom