BRICKER's Column... P@#$ED me OFF!!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

BRICKER's Column... P@#$ED me OFF!!!

FINintheMOON

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I just finished a response to Bricker's column in the Sun Sentinel this week... LINK below...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-bricker17dec17,0,7785382.column?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

This @ZZhole has a nerve to say what he did and I took exception to it!!! I sent him an e-mail voicing my dis-pleasure with what he wrote... Not only is this guy an idiot, he is also STUPID!!!

Below is my e-mail... I was trying to be civilized... Was I not hard enough???

Chuck,

Do you mind if I call you Chuck? Sorry... Mr. Bricker, I respect you as a person and a columnist... There is a lot that you have written that has made GOOD sense... And, I always enjoy reading your columns... HOWEVER... I feel that the entire tone of the article identified in the subject line, was missing a few KEY elements...

ONE: The rules on PASS INTERFERENCE in the game back then were different... The receivers had to FIGHT for the ball. Pass interference back then was considered tackling the receiver before the ball was in the receiver's hands... All other contact was allowed through out the ENTIRE route!!! Whereas the defender can't touch the receiver after 5 yards today...

TWO: The rules governing the hits on the quarterbacks are also a lot different today then they were back in the early 70s... Today's quarterbacks are so protected that if something even close to a hard hit is identified, penalty flags are all over the field!!! There were no penalties for roughing the passer unless it was a blatant late hit... When a quarterback dropped back to throw, unless the ball left his hand prior to the hit, it was a sack or a fumble... Not like it is now with "the arm in a forward motion".

THREE: The rules governing tackles and "CHOP BLOCKS" and what is regarded as UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT were FAR different back then than what the rules are for today... Back then, it was NO HOLDS BAR!!! Knock the opponent out of the game any way that you can! Unless it was SOOOO out of the sport, it was allowed!!!

The game was a MUCH more physical game back then... Players were TOUGH and HARD... They would hit and take hits that are not allowed in today's game... Bleeding was a part of the sport back then and broken bones was something that happened almost every SUNDAY!!! Comparing today's victories over the victories of the past is like comparing a warrior with a sword to a warrior with a gun...

Which warrior is the real hero????

Regards,
Ken McGaffic
FINFAN since 1970

Bricker hates the Fins. He's a Niner fan. I don't get why he writes for the Ft. Lauderdale paper. His bias has been so obvious over the years.

poppy said:
Bricker hates the Fins. He's a Niner fan. I don't get why he writes for the Ft. Lauderdale paper. His bias has been so obvious over the years.

Yeah, it's like his job is "NFL coverage that isn't Dolphins". He writes maybe 2 articles that even mention the phins each year, and it's only as some reference point so as to put the Phins down. Seriously. It's like he's the token NY'er for the Northeastern SoFla crowd.

Y'all really screwed up letting all those NYers move down there.

Obviously I don't live down in Florida so I don't know this reporter or his work, but from the article I just read he makes many good points. FinTheMoon makes many good points in his post as well, but I don't think this Bricker guy was trying to be an a$$hole. I just think he was calling it like he saw it which I have to say I see many things in this situation the same way.

Agua said:
Yeah, it's like his job is "NFL coverage that isn't Dolphins". He writes maybe 2 articles that even mention the phins each year, and it's only as some reference point so as to put the Phins down. Seriously. It's like he's the token NY'er for the Northeastern SoFla crowd.

Y'all really screwed up letting all those NYers move down there.

Well I didn't let them move to Florida... I myself am a native to PITTSBURGH!!!

FinFan71 said:
Obviously I don't live down in Florida so I don't know this reporter or his work, but from the article I just read he makes many good points. FinTheMoon makes many good points in his post as well, but I don't think this Bricker guy was trying to be an a$$hole. I just think he was calling it like he saw it which I have to say I see many things in this situation the same way.

Fair and honest.. Thanks for your feedback FINFAN!!!:tongue:

If the Colts go undefeated, it is what it is and that may be a greater feat than the Dolphin's of '72 but, we were always the first ones.

FINintheMOON said:
I just finished a response to Bricker's column in the Sun Sentinel this week... LINK below...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-bricker17dec17,0,7785382.column?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

This @ZZhole has a nerve to say what he did and I took exception to it!!! I sent him an e-mail voicing my dis-pleasure with what he wrote... Not only is this guy an idiot, he is also STUPID!!!

Below is my e-mail... I was trying to be civilized... Was I not hard enough???

Chuck,

Do you mind if I call you Chuck? Sorry... Mr. Bricker, I respect you as a person and a columnist... There is a lot that you have written that has made GOOD sense... And, I always enjoy reading your columns... HOWEVER... I feel that the entire tone of the article identified in the subject line, was missing a few KEY elements...

ONE: The rules on PASS INTERFERENCE in the game back then were different... The receivers had to FIGHT for the ball. Pass interference back then was considered tackling the receiver before the ball was in the receiver's hands... All other contact was allowed through out the ENTIRE route!!! Whereas the defender can't touch the receiver after 5 yards today...

TWO: The rules governing the hits on the quarterbacks are also a lot different today then they were back in the early 70s... Today's quarterbacks are so protected that if something even close to a hard hit is identified, penalty flags are all over the field!!! There were no penalties for roughing the passer unless it was a blatant late hit... When a quarterback dropped back to throw, unless the ball left his hand prior to the hit, it was a sack or a fumble... Not like it is now with "the arm in a forward motion".

THREE: The rules governing tackles and "CHOP BLOCKS" and what is regarded as UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT were FAR different back then than what the rules are for today... Back then, it was NO HOLDS BAR!!! Knock the opponent out of the game any way that you can! Unless it was SOOOO out of the sport, it was allowed!!!

The game was a MUCH more physical game back then... Players were TOUGH and HARD... They would hit and take hits that are not allowed in today's game... Bleeding was a part of the sport back then and broken bones was something that happened almost every SUNDAY!!! Comparing today's victories over the victories of the past is like comparing a warrior with a sword to a warrior with a gun...

Which warrior is the real hero????

Regards,
Ken McGaffic
FINFAN since 1970

what he also fails to realize is that the colts have the leagues easiest schedule with oponents winning percentage = 412.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/conference

FinFan71 said:
I agree.

Dolphins got one of the easiest schedules in history that year.

"However, if the Colts do finish the year 19-0, can we all agree that no matter how prodigious the Dolphins' effort, this will be a greater feat -- accomplished over more games and against measurably tougher adversaries".

The simple fact, that there HASN"T been anyone to compare against, is precisely whats made it so supremely notworthy all these years.

It's been the key reason, we've been able to sit atop this illustrious perch, virtually uncontested since claiming it, and despite any grumblings, EVERY other team, has continued to bow down, in light of it.
I for one will be somewhat saddened to relinquish it to another.

What few feats if any, are left in this league of equal merit, that have not been tread upon by others? Putting our own team ego aside for a moment, never, will there ever again be, a solitary team owning this noble distinction.

One thing is certain, the instant any team does accomplish the feat, you can rest assured every one of Brickers issues will be proclaimed from that point forward, at every opportunity, as if sombody left the door open, and welcomed every other team into the club.

There was a really good post about the Dolphins opponents somewhere in one of these threads. I wish I knew who wrote it.

But it went along the lines of despite having such a bad schedule the Dolphins faced the Jets, Colts, Steelers, Vikings, Chiefs, among others. In fact they faced teams that had won the superbowl or were going to win the superbowl over the course of something like 8 years.

the colts have played 8 super bowl teams this year from the past 5 super bowls, as well as cincinnati, pittsburgh, san diego and jacksonville (twice)

Back
Top Bottom