Brief Dolphins Free Agency Update by an Expert | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brief Dolphins Free Agency Update by an Expert

LostInPatsLand

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I can't post the article here. That wouldn't be right or legal. But in its November 21, PFW expects the Dolphins to be one of the top free agency destinations in the league PDQ. Miami is ~10 million under the cap and will likely cut lose Howard, and possibly even Madison, Booker, and Seau.

Our no 1 priority is QB by any means necessary (draft, free agency, trade). Look for us also to pick up a CB, safety (in case we can't re-sign Schulters), OLB, and left tackle. Other strong possibilities: DT and a WR--a #1 WR if Saban doesn't think CC will ever fill that role. Again, a possibility for #1 WR is TO. (By the way, nothing mentioned about Charles Rogers here).

This summary confirms what many have said on this board. PFW really does a great job with analysis and summary.

our priority but not many option this year (leinart but I'am not sure saban is sold to him, cutler why not or brees,carr or rivers but there are not sure to be available so....)

LostInPatsLand said:
I can't post the article here. That wouldn't be right or legal. But in its November 21, PFW expects the Dolphins to be one of the top free agency destinations in the league PDQ. Miami is ~10 million under the cap and will likely cut lose Howard, and possibly even Madison, Booker, and Seau.

Our no 1 priority is QB by any means necessary (draft, free agency, trade). Look for us also to pick up a CB, safety (in case we can't re-sign Schulters), OLB, and left tackle. Other strong possibilities: DT and a WR--a #1 WR if Saban doesn't think CC will ever fill that role. Again, a possibility for #1 WR is TO. (By the way, nothing mentioned about Charles Rogers here).

This summary confirms what many have said on this board. PFW really does a great job with analysis and summary.

gimme a link and we will be 32 million under

dominizzo said:
gimme a link and we will be 32 million under

I can't give you a link. I have this from a paper version of PFW. Sorry. Check the website.

LostInPatsLand said:

Does the article say 10 million under with those losses you mentioned, or before them?

Nothing surprising in there. Miami will not be $32 million under the cap. Even Mueller said they won't make any attempts to start out that far under the cap. He said they'll look to be about $10 to 15 million under the cap before free agency and the draft.

I am starting to doubt the TO thing even though I personally wouldn't care one way or the other.

I see Jon Kitna becoming a Phin...not as some big solution, but as a guy who can throw the ball deep (he threw deep to Chad Johnson he can throw deep to Chris Chambers) play kind of smart, he's a veteran, probably more accurate than Gus Frerotte is. He's a get-you-by guy and I really see us drafting a guy. Kitna would be the starter and Lemon the backup, whoever we draft holds the clipboard.

Left Tackles are hard to come by in free agency. We would have to draft one to find one, IMO. If someone like Eric Winston falls because of the so-called bad senior season he is supposedly having, I would snap him up. I mean, hot dang I stagger to think of the kinds of things Winston could do with his potential if Houck taught him some great technique and repetition and how to move his feet, etc.

Nublar7 said:
Does the article say 10 million under with those losses you mentioned, or before them?
Excellent question, and my apologies for not being more specific, but I was trying really hard not to rip of the article word for word. Here is the direct quote:

"Miami is about $10 million under the cap right now and will likely restructure the contracts of some veterans to create even more cap room. Plus, it likely [certain veterans will be let go]..."

ckparrothead said:
Left Tackles are hard to come by in free agency. We would have to draft one to find one, IMO. If someone like Eric Winston falls because of the so-called bad senior season he is supposedly having, I would snap him up. I mean, hot dang I stagger to think of the kinds of things Winston could do with his potential if Houck taught him some great technique and repetition and how to move his feet, etc.

Hey, maybe with some luck, we can get Ferguson. There is a rumor that he's dropped in some scout's eyes because of the injury and questions about his desire.

Well, 10 to 15 million is great but don't forget that some of it goes to the draft and we'll be drafting high again so there goes part of it.I'd be happy if we can get a WR,a LB and a DB(either corner or safety)..if not a LB then maybe a DE or a DT.The way I see it we need about 8 more palyers to go with our RB o-line and the young guys that we have on defence.We need a QB, WR,DT, 2 LB's, a Corner and a Safety.If we can get a LT then great.So, we need to get 3 free agents and have a good draft when we can get 3 staters again like this year.Is not easy but is posible.

Ozzy rules!!

LostInPatsLand said:
Hey, maybe with some luck, we can get Ferguson. There is a rumor that he's dropped in some scout's eyes because of the injury and questions about his desire.

This class is so deep at OT we could probably get a really high quality OT in the 2nd round, to be honest...the kind of quality OT that wouldn't have been found in the bottom of the first round last year. I would prefer we go that route, and make sure we get ourselves a bigger impact player in the first round (QB or defense).

ckparrothead said:
This class is so deep at OT we could probably get a really high quality OT in the 2nd round, to be honest...the kind of quality OT that wouldn't have been found in the bottom of the first round last year. I would prefer we go that route, and make sure we get ourselves a bigger impact player in the first round (QB or defense).
Sounds like a plan. I'm glad the draft if LB and OT heavy, since we need to fill both positions. Now, a perfect draft would be QB heavy as well!

Chad Greenway's been mentioned for good reason in round 1. He's a Saban type guy through and through. But they will look QB if there's a guy that makes sense. I'm starting to hope for Cutler.

LostInPatsLand said:
Excellent question, and my apologies for not being more specific, but I was trying really hard not to rip of the article word for word. Here is the direct quote:

"Miami is about $10 million under the cap right now and will likely restructure the contracts of some veterans to create even more cap room. Plus, it likely [certain veterans will be let go]..."
Thanks for clarifying that. Also thanks for posting what PFW said. Much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom