Bring Back Bates | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bring Back Bates

Finsperfect72

Marino HOF 2005
Reaction score
No, this isn't a knock on Saban. I'm just suggesting that he take a page from Bates playbook.

I don't remember seeing this team play with any sort of passion or excitement since Bates took over for Wanny. Do any of you remember that first game when Bates assumed head coaching responsibilities? There was excitement, enthusiasm, and, dare I say it, FUN on the field and on the sidelines. Chest-bumping enthusiasm.

There is no joy in Dolphin-ville. Just a lot of inexplicably bad football. Maybe it's time to loosen up the very tight constraints imposed by a seemingly ultra-conservative coach. Yes, we have a lot of problems on both sides of the ball, both with players and play-calling. But what have we got to lose? After all, this is a GAME. A very high stakes game, to be sure, but still a game.

Yeah Parcells doesn't show much excitement either, he's a terrible coach.

I liked Bates. Really did. Unfortunately Saban and Bates have different defensive philosophies. We'll never see that match

Phinz4Life said:
Yeah Parcells doesn't show much excitement either, he's a terrible coach.

What does that have to do with my point? Different things work for different teams. So far whatever is going on behind the scenes in Miami ain't working. What's wrong with a little rah-rah? What's wrong with enthusiasm? I know that isn't Saban's style, but something has to be done to motivate this team.

nooooo way, the defense bates ran was so simple. i know that right now were not very good at blitzing but when saban gets a few more of his players we will be a force on defense becuz we will be versatile

I liked Bates, I mean seriously, it was awesome when he beat New England in that awful 2004 season on MNF. and when Freeman grabbed that pick and chest bumped with Bates, I thought it was pretty cool altough some will argue it infantile for the NFL. The guy had a very vanilla defense that was good because we had excellent talent (don't you miss Surtain, Ogunlaye, a healthy Tim Bowens and Larry Chester?) but the guy had a lot of heart and I respected him because he really, truely wanted to stay in Miami and nobody was gonna give him a shot in hell. To be honest, if Bates was brought to Miami for a Richard Smith-like role I would be ecstatic. He would be a huge motivator on the sidelines.

horrible idea.

I have associates who work for me.. I know I have employees who would probably do a better job if I were gone and one of my associates took over (this is pretty common... good guy verses bad guy). The problem is that eventually the "good guy" either has to make a tough call or ends up trying to be everyones friend..

same thing happened when wanny was booted... bates was the good guy the team loved.. so they played their heart out for him (they wanted him as their coach)...if he had stayed the headcoach one of two things would have happened..

1. he would have felt the need to keep everyone happy at the cost of making good judgement calls..

2. he would have made tough decisions and ticked off players who would eventually not play for him.

either way... it would never have worked.

scenaria said:
horrible idea.

I have associates who work for me.. I know I have employees who would probably do a better job if I were gone and one of my associates took over (this is pretty common... good guy verses bad guy). The problem is that eventually the "good guy" either has to make a tough call or ends up trying to be everyones friend..

same thing happened when wanny was booted... bates was the good guy the team loved.. so they played their heart out for him (they wanted him as their coach)...if he had stayed the headcoach one of two things would have happened..

1. he would have felt the need to keep everyone happy at the cost of making good judgement calls..

2. he would have made tough decisions and ticked off players who would eventually not play for him.

Hadn't thought of that, great point my friend.

scenaria said:
horrible idea.

I don't think you can really know that for sure. That's pure supposition. Look, I wasn't asking for Bates to come back. I just wanted to illustrate how important an intangible like enthusiasm can be. And how enthusiasm seems to be lacking right now. Along with concentration and responsibility. It seems to me that that starts at the head. When the man you're playing for is enjoying what he's doing and it shows, then you want to enjoy what you're doing, too. A positive attitude can be contagious, unlike the extremely vanilla doublespeak of Saban. Although maybe that is contagious and the result is what we're seeing on the field. Just one fan's opinion.

Is Bates even employed right now?

Back
Top Bottom