Bring Back the Wishbone set | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bring Back the Wishbone set

Duss

Active Roster
Reaction score
With Ricky Ronnie and lamar in the backfield

uncle don said:
And the qb would be??????????

At the risk of prolonging this extraordinarily stupid thread, I'll suggest Marty Booker might be an intriguing choice there. He throws well enough to make the few passes you'd see out of the bone, runs kind of like a RB, and would probably be the WR displaced by this change.

duss12 said:
With Ricky Ronnie and lamar in the backfield

When was the last time someone used the wishbone in the NFL? It must have been a long time ago. My guess it no one uses it because it's not effective against NFL defences.

CanadaPhinsFan said:
When was the last time someone used the wishbone in the NFL? It must have been a long time ago. My guess it no one uses it because it's not effective against NFL defences.
Green Bay Packers still use it I believe.

painnotpleasure said:
Green Bay Packers still use it I believe.

The Packers use a set with three running backs but it is not the wishbone.

NFL linebackers and defensive ends would eat the wishbone alive. Any team that ran the wishbone would have to change back to a conventional offense after a week or two because all their wishbone quarterbacks would be on injured reserve.

I say let's bring back Ricky FIRST, before we bring back leather helmets and then before we bring back the wishbone.

unifiedtheory said:
The Packers use a set with three running backs but it is not the wishbone.

NFL linebackers and defensive ends would eat the wishbone alive. Any team that ran the wishbone would have to change back to a conventional offense after a week or two because all their wishbone quarterbacks would be on injured reserve.

I think the one the packers run that you are reffering to is called the 'T' formation.

Theres so many reasons you cant use a wishbone in the NFL its too long to list them all. Here's a few:

1. The wishbone is east-west offense; defenses want teams to run east west cause that means theyre going nowhere in terms of gaining yards.
2. Defenses are simply too fast to do it. Look @ miami for the last few years; anything on the edges on a run play was, with rare exceptions, going nowhere for our opposition.
3. Your qb takes too many hits running the ball and waiting for the right time to toss it.
4. If it gets sniffed out its going to lead to a lot of fumbles and negative plays. 2 major no no's.

Noodle Arm said:
I say let's bring back leather helmets
2005 Team Photo:

clear.gif

please and lets bring back the statue of liberty or the leather helmet without a face guard. i hope that you are just kidding.

You guys are autamatically thinking the wishbone means option. This is not the case.

The only thing a Wishbone would bring to the NFL would be a stacked front against the run. I dont know how Lamar blocks because he wasnt healthy enought last year to show us much of anything but Ronnie and Ricky know how to block, which could lead to interesting possibilities.

5 OLineman vs the front 7 of the defense with 2 backs going out and one coming in for a playfake or real handoff. Where would the linebackers go? If Linebackers cover the backs out of the backfield that would leave a 5 OLineman vs 5 Dlineman and linebackers without safety support. With safety support it would guarantee Chambers or Booker ... AND Ricky and Ronnie with one on one coverage.

Dont shoot this down as quick as you are people. It isnt the option offense.

Now the option Offense which is usually ran with two backs would be useless in the NFL ... trust me I know this ... I live in Omaha and am a Cornhusker fan when the best College team of all time ran the option and lost in 83 at the Orange Bowl. Damn that was a good game.

Omaha_Dolfan said:
You guys are autamatically thinking the wishbone means option. This is not the case.

I'll say to you as I say to my little league parents. Why run the wishbone if you can't run it's best play? The option made the wishbone the formation that it is. Not only do you outnumber the opposition at the flank but you offer a pitch of the ball at the last moment. Why would you leave it out of the arsenal?

To another response from Boik14........

The wishbone is not an east-west offense. Draw the formation on a pad of paper. Draw the lines of attack from each backfield position. Those are your options of attack and they do not travel east-west.

I know what your accusation is though. I've heard it from you I-back fans before. East-West offenses are only formidable if your linemen move in an east-west direction. That means your lineman have to pull or trap.

Also by that notion of thinking, it's impossible to run a sweep from the "I". The sweep travels east-west while the I is formed north-south. :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom