Bring in Philbin and Flynn | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bring in Philbin and Flynn

Miamifin23

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying that this coaching search hasn't really gone as planned. Ross expected a big name such as Cowher, Gruden, or even Fisher to catch on board... But! With what's left, I say bring in Philbin. Guy just lost his son, ready for a new start. He has a QB that has played in his system for a couple of seasons in Matt Flynn that would be more than welcome to sign on to Miami. With the 8th or 9th pick, you can go get another playmaker on the outside opposite Marshall and maybe we can get this thing turned around. I will say that the best move would be to suck it up and go get RGIII but Ireland isn't smart enough to even think about doing it, so with whats left go get Philbin and Flynn. Hell it can't get any worse than it already is!

I think Philbin will be the guy.

I am pulling for McCoy, but I bet Philbin gets the gig. McCoy will ace his interview with Ross though.

Ya, I'm on board now with Flynn in Philbin. We could get him, the QB coach and Flynn? Although I would love to see Griffin get drafted by us... My mock draft goes in a different direction.

I still see McCoy getting the green light and them announcing McCoy as our HC tomorrow after he blows Ross out of the water on his 2nd interview.

When I keep playing around with depth charts and future FA's, it is going to be so reckless to go get RGIII. I like RGIII, but not for the world. I DO feel confident in McCoy's ability to build an offense around Griffin's strengths.

The Philbin and Flynn deal at least does not mortgage the future in terms of picks which is the biggest selling point for me in terms of Philbin.

Philbin yes, but buyer beware with Flynn. He's had only a few starts total ala Jay Feeley and Kevin Kolb. He's probably going to demand a very high price based on one final game of the season. I still think we draft a qb and stop grabbing peoples bench players. I think Philbin would be an excellent choice though as would McCoy...

Good point about giving up too much for Griffin but this team/city is starving for somebody to put someone in the seats and I think Griffin gives you that in itself. He's going to get city and fans excited about the near future. I don't think he'll be a Cam Newton right off the bat but I have watched a few of his games and the guy will sit in the pocket and make the throws he needs to, it's just a plus he has the legs to get it done when things break down

I just worry that you are going to go after RGIII say with 1, 2 and 3 and 1 and a 2 in 2013.

In 2013 we have the following FA's: Bush, Moore, Long, Hartline, Fasano, Smith, Bell, Wake, Starks and McDaniel. People can make fun of their talent, but these FA's need to be replaced by someone of equal value. Not sure how replace them by giving up 5 picks...if you do, you got to nail free agency in the next two years...something Ireland has struggled with.

I want Philbin, but can't shake this feeling that McCoy will get it. That would be fine with me as we would be going with a young head coach that we will (hopefully) give a chance to develop and succeed.

Bowles as the choice would not be welcomed by fans. Ross hiring him would definitely show a lack of foresight in that aspect.

I think Ireland has done a great job as far as being smart and holding onto picks and if he does give em up, he usually gets em back. I think the smart thing for Ireland and Ross to do when talking to philbin is gauging philbins ability to convince Flynn to sign on board with us, Ross will give him the money. Flynn played against a darn good defense in that last game, I think he's a baller. Flynn is the biggest selling point in hiring philbin. I think that's the smartest route. Don't mortgage the future for rg3. I think we NEED to sign Colston, meachem or Jackson. Then in the draft, move back a little, gain an extra pick or two, and draft your rt or rg. Then use those two two's accordingly.

In short, Flynn, meachem.
1. G/t
2a. Lb
2b. G/t/te

Would love to get both Flynn and Meachem...but we shouldn't take a guard with that first rounder. That's a position where value can be had later in the draft. I think LB and TE, as you suggest, would make for great first round selections.

Just figured we should shore up the line with better talent for our new investment. Is it a big drop off between a first rd or second rd guard or tackle? If we were to do what I said, we essentially could go whichever direction the draft gives us

Flynn played against a darn good defense in that last game, I think he's a baller.

Not sure I agree with you regarding Detroit being "a darn good defense"
23rd in rushing yards allowed
22nd in passing yards allowed
23rd in total yards allowed
23rd in points allowed

Flynn had a very good game but to call that defense "darn good" is a bit of an over statement

It really is a toss up for me regarding Flynn, however you can't ignore the fact that he has learned behind Aaron Rodgers. This isn't a situation of just grabbing some random back up from a team. He has been in a great system learning from the best QB in the league.

Now I know some people knock Philbin for not calling the plays. However they ignore the fact that he is still part of the system, under stand how they run it, and can very easily establish it here. Lets not act like just because he doesn't call the plays he doesn't know what he is doing.

Back
Top Bottom