Bringing Hartline into the game and up to speed. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bringing Hartline into the game and up to speed.

LikeUntoGod

The Oracle
Reaction score
Not having any honor at all, I pulled this from from a answer of mine of another question.

Please give me your thoughts on it. :thanks:

I'd stop using Ginn as a starter period until we proves that he can be a #1 WR. I'd use him as a retuner and I'd bring Ginn into games as the "other"type of slot WR. The kind used by the Rams years ago. He matches up against the defense's 3rd or 4th DB and tries to split the middle of the field for a quick strike touchdown.

We cannot just think of a slot WR as a short yardage WR. A lot of teams have also had ran them long post and streaks and have the outside WRs run short patterns. And since it take a stronger arm to throw to the deep outside then deep over the middle, this makes a lot of sense. Other pluses are the shorter time a pass over the middle takes. And that it is easier to split the Safeties coming from the slot. We have not did this lately partly because we do not have a QB who can complete a longer pass.

Just because atm other NFL are using slot WRs in one way does not mean we cannot use them in another. If you look up slot WRs in NFL history, they were often the WR with not many catches but with the longest YPC average. Again, look back the the Rams team that the Patriots cheated on to the win the Super Bowl.

I did not know any NFL that used the Wildcat either before last year. Sometimes it helps to think out of the box and often the "box" changes over time.

IMO, Brian Hartline needs to replace him as our starter on that side although I do not see it happening as long as Ginn is here. he has all the traits a NFL WR needs. The first trait a WR needs AFTER THE ABILITY TO GET OPEN is to catch anything that comes near him.

Others are:
They need great hands
: He has excellent hands
They need good speed: Great speed is not a need but he is easily the 2nd fastest WR on this team. In fact, it is not even close.

They need great quickness: I'm not sure he has great quickness but I'm semi sure it is good enough (see the play mentioned below).
They need great ball skills: I think he rates close to Bess and Camarillo in getting to the ball. He is also bigger and can out muscle and out jump both of them. He has caught almost everything throw to him. In preseason it was said he missed one but that is because no one watched the play more then once. Hartline was open on a 8 yard curl in but Henne instead of standing tall, fell back under pressure and ended up throwing the ball several yards to the outside. Hartline made a very quick turn and made a flat out leap for the ball but was 2 feet short.

They need football intelligence: He was a ex-QB and Sparano said one of the things they liked about him was his very high football and basic intelligence.

They need toughness: This is another easy one. He is known as a head hunter on special teams and he has the size to back it up.

I see the problem with him every getting a lot of play time is Ted Ginn being here. He was being considered as the #2 WR as the season started but on that side he has to beat out the more experienced Bess and Camarillo.

It would be replacing one sure handed WR with another one which would make little sense. Our coaching staf is not ready to bite the bullet and bench Ginn because of his "potential" as a "playmaker". And coaches are subject to pressure from fans and sitting Ginn would cause a semi up roar.

Hartline needs reps and experience to improve and is not going to get it as long as Ginn is here.

I like Hartline but taking Teddy out would be stupid. We already have an inexperienced QB do you really want to take away one of his weapons with the most experience?

we'd be winners if we could put ginn in the slot. But we'd also be losers to put in hartline as a full time starter...

Hartline is a rookie, and the thing he needed most is a veteran QB like pennington who was able to teach him stuff neither henne, white or thigpen could ... putting hartline out there would be stupid

in fact, this is the biggest issue i have overrall with this passing offence... there's NO veteran guys out there, there's no 8-9-10 year pro who knows the game, chad was the only one and now we find ourselves with a bunch of unproven, unexperienced guys that are suposed to figure out how to gain yardage in a professional football league.... that just stuns me, i don't understand why they didn't went out there and grabbed a veteran backup QB or a veteran WR... it's just my opinion...

anyways back to the main topic, considering the things i've just mentionned, no i don't think putting hartline AT THE MOMENT is an ideal solution...

Ginn will never be a number #1 and I would not want to take Bess out of the slot. He's the best performer in this WR corps. Leave him where he is at. This is it for Ginn IMO. He better step up with Henne or I don't forsee him being here next year.

IMO Ginn, Bess, and Hartline should be the WR's when we are in 3WR formations. I like Camarillo but him and Bess are pretty much the same wr. I feel Hartline brings a few different things to the table...... namely better size and speed. However I'm curious to see how things go with all of our WR's with a different qb. Personally I think it will make them all better but only time will tell.

We Will See

On The Play Henne Threw The Int The Safty Was Covering Bess In The Slot, We Need To Go Vertical Up Top With Ginn On Out Side And Patrick Turner, Or Even Camarillo, Someone Who Can Get Vertical And Make The Tuff Catch Down The Seems And Hang On Too It. Penny Hit Fasano Right In The Hands And The Safty Jard The Ball Lose, Seem Like More Than Once. We Need Another Vertical Wr, A Deep Threat With Ginn Being Our Only One We Need Him,atleast For Now. Again Ginn Is A Long Strider A Alvin Harper!! Normally Ginn Comes Up With That Like In The Big Game Against The Jets, He Caught Two Big Bombs From Penny, Wait Unttil The Deputy Comes In And Hell Heaves It Out There For Teddy G!! We Need Another Wr Who Can Run The Deep Route And Play Jump Ball For The Ball In The Air, I Would Like To See Brandon London, Patrick Turner, Audition For That Position With Everyone Else In Slot, Bunch, Trips, Type Formations, Remember In The Regular Two Wr Sets If That Safety Comes Down Henne Is Going Up Top!!! So Pick Your Poison If The Saftey Stays Back R&r Might Have 1500 A Peice Or Henne Is Going To Go To Pro Bowl. We Need To Protect Him More Max Protects, Variety Of Screens, We Have Really To Right Tackles With Jake And Vernon, Henning Needs To Give Them Protect With A Tight End And Back Chipping The Edges Beause John Abraham On Jake Would Never Take Place With Him Just Trying To Straight Bull Rush Jake Dont Get It Twisted, Our Tackles Are Not Quick At All But With Extra Help They Wont Be Exposed, Because If We Get Blitzed We Need To Go Vertical, We Need Pat White Hartline And Turner In The Field Make This Damn Draft Of Ours Work, Force They *** Into Producing!!!!!!

I would bench Camarillo and activate Turner. Hartline is another Camarillo. Camarillo is still recovering from last years injury, and hasn't regained what speed he has.

On The Play Henne Threw The Int The Safty Was Covering Bess In The Slot, We Need To Go Vertical Up Top With Ginn On Out Side And Patrick Turner, Or Even Camarillo, Someone Who Can Get Vertical And Make The Tuff Catch Down The Seems And Hang On Too It. Penny Hit Fasano Right In The Hands And The Safty Jard The Ball Lose, Seem Like More Than Once. We Need Another Vertical Wr, A Deep Threat With Ginn Being Our Only One We Need Him,atleast For Now. Again Ginn Is A Long Strider A Alvin Harper!! Normally Ginn Comes Up With That Like In The Big Game Against The Jets, He Caught Two Big Bombs From Penny, Wait Unttil The Deputy Comes In And Hell Heaves It Out There For Teddy G!! We Need Another Wr Who Can Run The Deep Route And Play Jump Ball For The Ball In The Air, I Would Like To See Brandon London, Patrick Turner, Audition For That Position With Everyone Else In Slot, Bunch, Trips, Type Formations, Remember In The Regular Two Wr Sets If That Safety Comes Down Henne Is Going Up Top!!! So Pick Your Poison If The Saftey Stays Back R&r Might Have 1500 A Peice Or Henne Is Going To Go To Pro Bowl. We Need To Protect Him More Max Protects, Variety Of Screens, We Have Really To Right Tackles With Jake And Vernon, Henning Needs To Give Them Protect With A Tight End And Back Chipping The Edges Beause John Abraham On Jake Would Never Take Place With Him Just Trying To Straight Bull Rush Jake Dont Get It Twisted, Our Tackles Are Not Quick At All But With Extra Help They Wont Be Exposed, Because If We Get Blitzed We Need To Go Vertical, We Need Pat White Hartline And Turner In The Field Make This Damn Draft Of Ours Work, Force They *** Into Producing!!!!!!

Do you really need to capitalize the first letter of every word? I don't understand....

I like Hartline but taking Teddy out would be stupid. We already have an inexperienced QB do you really want to take away one of his weapons with the most experience?

Since he can't make big catches.......yes.

Should we simply go out and sign as many really fast WRs no matter how poor the rest of their game is? O wait, we have one on our practice squad right now!

One big reason Ginn is starting is his contract. I was a Army officer and a weapon that you cannot count on is not worth much. Just because we paid a lot for him/it does not mean we have to use him/it.

Think about Az-Zahir Hakim with the 1999 Rams. At 5'10" and 180 pounds, he did not go over the middle much. But from the slot he had 36 catches for 677 yards and averaged 18.8 yards a catch with 8 TD's.

My point is that we could bring Ginn in from time to time and run him on a long post or flag patten past the linebackers etc. Exactly the same route he ran when Pat White over threw him.

I would bench Camarillo and activate Turner. Hartline is another Camarillo. Camarillo is still recovering from last years injury, and hasn't regained what speed he has.

Only one person beat Brian Hartline in the Ohio State High School High Hurdles Championship. That guy was Ted Ginn Jr.

You don't need blazing speed to be a threat. You need enough speed and to be able to catch the ball and not fall down afterwards. Anquan Boldin ran 4.68 at the combine and he gets deep because of his great quickness. Brian Hartline had the second best 3-cone drill, 4th best 20-yard shuttle and was the best at the 60-yard shuttle so he has quickness and acceleration.

Chadd Henne personal endorcement helped Harline get drafted by the phins so look for it to happen more often than not.

we'd be winners if we could put ginn in the slot. But we'd also be losers to put in hartline as a full time starter...

Hartline is a rookie, and the thing he needed most is a veteran QB like pennington who was able to teach him stuff neither henne, white or thigpen could ... putting hartline out there would be stupid

in fact, this is the biggest issue i have overrall with this passing offence... there's NO veteran guys out there, there's no 8-9-10 year pro who knows the game, chad was the only one and now we find ourselves with a bunch of unproven, unexperienced guys that are suposed to figure out how to gain yardage in a professional football league.... that just stuns me, i don't understand why they didn't went out there and grabbed a veteran backup QB or a veteran WR... it's just my opinion...

anyways back to the main topic, considering the things i've just mentionned, no i don't think putting hartline AT THE MOMENT is an ideal solution...

no hartline didnt need penny imo penny cant throw deep and putting ginn in the slot would be a bad ideal ginn is a stright down the feild or down the sidelines and cut to the middle of the field bess and cam are slot guys imo hartline is fast he would be good running the sidelines and back across the middle about 25-35 yards downfield like ginn and turner as a redzone threat thats why ginn hasnt been abel to use his talent because we had a qb in there that couldnt make the long throw dont get me wrong i liked penny but imo he was a very vrey very good backup qb and could manage a game if he say was ahead in a game and he had to come in say if the starting qb got hurt or something like that but imo he would never be what we was looking for here in miami cause most of the NFL are going to the pass so you can take a great passing team and beat a great running team every time imo thats what has happen to us the first 3 games we got behind in the fourth quarter and all we could do was run and we went away from that and couldnt make the big plays down the field to come back and win so imo ginn plays like harrison and needs a qb to throw deep to him we shall see after a few games and see what happens :thanks:

no hartline didnt need penny imo penny cant throw deep and putting ginn in the slot would be a bad ideal ginn is a stright down the feild or down the sidelines and cut to the middle of the field bess and cam are slot guys imo hartline is fast he would be good running the sidelines and back across the middle about 25-35 yards downfield like ginn and turner as a redzone threat thats why ginn hasnt been abel to use his talent because we had a qb in there that couldnt make the long throw dont get me wrong i liked penny but imo he was a very vrey very good backup qb and could manage a game if he say was ahead in a game and he had to come in say if the starting qb got hurt or something like that but imo he would never be what we was looking for here in miami cause most of the NFL are going to the pass so you can take a great passing team and beat a great running team every time imo thats what has happen to us the first 3 games we got behind in the fourth quarter and all we could do was run and we went away from that and couldnt make the big plays down the field to come back and win so imo ginn plays like harrison and needs a qb to throw deep to him we shall see after a few games and see what happens :thanks:
You do know you can run straight down the field from anywhere right?

They will never take Ginn out completely. They will start him or appear to start him likely for every game this season because they know team prepare for his speed inj game preparation.

They way to use Hartline and Turner for that matter is not to replace our starters by cycle the rookies in in key situation to create mismatches. It is clear that our team is full of #2 type players. So put then in situations to succeed by not asking the to burden the load. Ginn deserves the right ti sink or swim on his own merit. Let Hartline and Turner progress naturally, while Ginn tries to improve.

Back
Top Bottom