Brock Lesnar | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brock Lesnar

Originally posted by InMyChambers
Just curious, what position is he going to try to play, DE?

DE would be the ideal position for a guy with low football background.
Brock Lesnar definitely is a beast! Although I didn't follow WWE closely for the last 5 years, I've seen him in about 10-15 matches. I think he'd be worth a tryout in the NFL, but we have other needs than DE.
If he could play RG, though :D

Originally posted by phunwin

A guy with a Ric Flair avatar would almost have to have that POV, eh? ;)

Lesnar is, by any stretch of the imagination, an extraordinarily talented athlete. Note the lack of quote marks; he is a bona fide athlete. Anyone who wins an NCAA championship for Greco-Roman wrestling has earned that title whatever you think of pro wrestling.

But does that success translate to football? I'm not so sure. Even if Lesnar played in high school, I'm pretty sure he didn't in college. No matter how strong and agile he is (and he has both strength and agility in spades), whatever technique he once had would be buried in rust. It's an entirely different skill set that he would have to employ, and I just don't think he could make it as a football player.

Heck, look at Michael Jordan. Many would call him the greatest athlete of all time, and he couldn't hack it in AA baseball, and baseball is a far less complex sport than football in terms of what the players are doing.

I was agreeing with you until the crack about baseball. You have to use the same line of thinking you used to transition from wrestling to football as you do football to baseball. All require different sets of skills that can only be learned through playing the game and practicing. Saying that babseball is FAR less complex than football is as igonrant as people saying pro wrestling is fake. They just have different skills sets is all.

As for Brock Lesnar, he is a stud of an athlete and I don't think anyone is questioning that. However, he didn't play in college to my knowledge ( I follow the Minnesota wrestling team somewhat closely so I think something like that would have poppoed out at me if he did), and I just don't see him making it in the pros. He picked up pro wrestling like a natural and was very good at that as well so who knows, he may have the knack to make it onto a team and be a special teams guy. I just don't see it happening though.

Lukin, you said you trained for a week to be a pro wrestler. No wonder every bump you took hurt! Your body needs time to adjust to the brutality you put it through. After a good solid month or so of quality bumping and practice, it almost feels theraputic to take a bump if you ask me. :lol: I know when I quit the business, my back kind of went through a rough time adjusting to not being abused on a daily basis. It was highly strange, almost as though it was in withdrawel mode.

As for people who state wrestling is fake, I am done with that argument. I, for one, hate having to try an educate people one at a time to how real it actually is. If people want to be naive and ignorant about it, fine by me.

I have a feeling my rant may force this thread to get moved :lol:

Originally posted by Lukin

Okay. As a wrestling fan I feel the need to intervene.:lol:

In pro wrestling, yes, the Dialogue is scripted and the OUTCOME of the matches are pre-determined. But, the physical punishment that the wrestlers endure is very real. And some matches can last 20-30 minutes nowadays. I took wrestling training once... for like a week. It's very painful and demanding. There's no way to "learn how to land" It hurts every damn time.
So, there's no doubt in my mind that he can physically endure the NFL. My only question is does he possess the natural skills it takes to play football.

I agree with you 100%!!! I love it when people say things like "well they know how to fall so it doesn't hurt." I've seen wrestlers fall 30 feet for so I don't think knowing how to fall will help much there.

Look at Ken Shamrock who left the UFC, which is REAL fighting, to wrestle in the WWE then left the WWE becuase it was too risky.

Yeah, I got bored once and decided to go practice w/ some guys in a small indy fed locally. I didn't really have the time to take it seriously. Plus i'm a wuss and didn't like being hurt :lol:. But I'm still an avid WWE fan.

baseball is a far less complex sport than football in terms of what the players are doing."

maybe if "what the players are doing" is throwing and catching the ball in warm ups, i could agree. there are few things in football as complex as hitting or pitching at the professional level in baseball. hitting a major league (or double A) fastball or breaking ball is quite a complex skill. and most of what lineman, offensive or defensive, do is not particularly complex. i teach it to JV football players every august, and many perfect swim moves, rip moves, and footwork in a week's time. that doesnt mean they could do it against an NFL offensive lineman though, naturally even if there technique is perfect. because of size and strength differences. Lesnar is as strong as most linemen i would be willing to guess from seeing him and what he has done in amateur and pro wrestling.
much of what Lesnar or any DE (assuming that is where he ended up, if he does try out and/or makes it as a football player) does is based upon pure brute strength. Lesnar has that i assure you. and agility as well. anyone who saw him do the shooting star press halfway across the ring at wrestlemania last year against Kurt Angle would never argue that.
also, generally speaking, being an amateur wrestler is the best possible thing to have a youth football player participate in once football season is over. amateur wrestlers learn to have incredible balance, flexibility, and stamina. they take conditioning to a whole other level. but he would still be at a decided disadvantage no doubt and i would be amazed if he made it in football at this stage, due to the long layoff.

I also heard that there wasn't going to be any tryout offers from the Vikes. On the pro-wrestling/sports entertainment, I think people also miss another big thing--da road. Just because you see them on a Monday night or Thursday night, doesn't mean they're sipping Bacardis on their time off. No offseason and I think the most common quote that they're on the road is around 290 days out of the year, which also includes trips overseas as well. I'm sure some of the huge names don't have to worry about retirement, but for the most part, there aren't $34 million dollar signing bonuses in the WWE.

::edit: that shooting star last year was cool, but he really biffed his forehead towards the finish of the move--it seemed like he got a concussion from that little slip. Still impressive that someone his size could've done that though.

"that shooting star last year was cool, but he really biffed his forehead towards the finish of the move--it seemed like he got a concussion from that little slip. Still impressive that someone his size could've done that though."

yeah i recall he came up a bit short, but Angle was way across the ring. one has to see that move to believe it... a written desciption cannot do it justice, when factoring in that the guy is between 285 and 300 pounds, and like 6ft 5. all things considered, Lesnar is a one of a kind athlete in my opinion.

Originally posted by Samphin

I was agreeing with you until the crack about baseball. You have to use the same line of thinking you used to transition from wrestling to football as you do football to baseball. All require different sets of skills that can only be learned through playing the game and practicing. Saying that babseball is FAR less complex than football is as igonrant as people saying pro wrestling is fake. They just have different skills sets is all.

You know, I regretted that statement about 30 seconds after I posted it. What I should have said was that the strategy and teamwork inherent in baseball are far less complex than in the NFL. Certainly, the skill required to hit a 95 mph fastball or a 12 to 6 curve is tremendous.
What I meant to say is that in baseball, whereas it's basically an individual contest (hitter vs. pitcher, for the most part), football is much more of a team game with far more strategy involved and plays to learn. In baseball, learning signs isn't terribly difficult. In football, learning a 200 page playbook is difficult. I think it's that part of the game that makes it a more difficult jump.

My larger point remains; I don't think Brock Lesnar could make a successful jump to the NFL.

I have never seen Brock Lesnar play football, but my high school was in the same region as his in small town South Dakota. Knowing the region, I can pretty much guarantee you that he's never played anybody who's played at a level higher than NCAA Division II. I can also pretty much guarantee you that he probably outweighed anybody he played against by at least 50 pounds (at least anybody in my highschool). Anybody who was close to his size was only close because they were obese. I can also pretty much guarantee you that whoever coached him in high school didn't come out of a program any higher than one of the South Dakota public college football programs. From what I know of the region, coaching him would be like coaching someone completely from scratch. I can't imagine that he'd have a whole lot in the way of proper mechanics. It'd be a lot of work, but with that athleticism and size, who knows.

Minnphin

Back
Top Bottom