brown and scott might get contracts? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

brown and scott might get contracts?

SR 7

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Ravens Insider: The inside scoop and analysis on the team from The Baltimore Sun's Ravens columnist and Ravens beat writer.

« Getting an NFL education | Main
Newsome optimistic about Ravens free agents

INDIANAPOLIS -- Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said today he was optimistic "at this point" about getting new contracts with linebackers Ray Lewis, Bart Scott and Terrell Suggs, and center Jason Brown.

Speaking at the scouting combine, Newsome said he was in active negotiations with all four. He placed the franchise tag on Suggs last week for the second straight year.

Free agent safety Jim Leonhard and kicker Matt Stover are another story, however. Newsome said that Leonhard will have to compete for a job if he comes back to Baltimore, whereas signing with another team would automatically make him a starter. The clear indication was that the Ravens don't expect to sign him, and that they are comfortable with the expected return of Dawan Landry from a neck injury this season.

dont have the link got it from another forum but i twas the beatwritier or somethign for the Ravens.

its alright to me. I am starting to dig Caldwell, Center U of Alabama. pick #56.

I'd much rather have Eric Wood. Really impressive at the combine.

I think both Wood and Caldwell, along with Mack have emerged as the 3 top Centers we need to look at if available and if we are unable to sign Brown.

dont have the link got it from another forum but i twas the beatwritier or somethign for the Ravens.
Here's the link to the story
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-ravens0221,0,4938238.story?track=rss
Newsome said he was optimistic "at this point" about resolving the contract issues with his three linebackers and Brown. But he allowed that it doesn't always happen that way.

"We always feel like we're willing to pay more for our players than other people will, but over the past few years, we have lost players because they've had the opportunity to help their families by making a lot of money [elsewhere]," Newsome said.

The New York Jets, with former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan as their coach, would be an attractive option for Lewis, Scott or Leonhard.

Is Newsome concerned Ryan will poach some of his players?

"I'm just as concerned of George taking them," he said of former Ravens personnel man George Kokinis, now the general manager in Cleveland. "That tree is all over now."

Bart Scott and Jason Brown are still the most likely to hit the marketplace...I really doubt we end up with both and even one would definitely surprise me.....pleasantly.

used the FranchiseTag & still have to deal with Ray Lewis, Bart Scott & a slew of lesser but important starters. I think we have a very good chance ( a probability) of seeing Brown unsigned & in free agency.
he's already on the radar & we're closing fast

Exactly, I don't how the Ravens can afford all those guys with the contracts they are going to want. I don't see all of them back going back to the team.

Exactly, I don't how the Ravens can afford all those guys with the contracts they are going to want. I don't see all of them back going back to the team.
With about $19 million in cap space, they can sign all of their players by using various creative practices. They can give some players front loaded contracts and giving others back loaded contract.

I read on rotoworld that Jason Brown will be asking for Alan Faneca money so I don't think the Ravens will retain him and Scott admitted by himself that it would be a miracle if Baltimore could keep the 3 LBs together..

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/articles/2009/02/22/sports/hsports22209.txt
It’s believed that Brown, who has started at guard in the past, wants to be paid as a top guard like the Jets’ Alan Faneca, who inked a five-year, $40 million contract last year. The Ravens are more inclined to pay him as a center.

The Ravens are built on Defense. That will be their priority: maintaining the defense.
Their illustrious offensive coordinator is not in enamored with humongous linesmen. He has demonstrated his preference in his only Miami draft. He likes speed & quickness throughout the offense.
I think they will let Brown try the waters of FreeAgency.
Here's the formula:
Money+cap against maintaining Defense+Cameron's preferences= FreeAgency.

We'll just have to let it play out & see what actually happens, but I can see Brown suiting up for Miami as a serious possibility. Next week will tell.

they said they are planning on moving chester toC to replace brown so i hope thatmeans they already are looking ahead.

The Ravens are built on Defense. That will be their priority: maintaining the defense.
Their illustrious offensive coordinator is not in enamored with humongous linesmen. He has demonstrated his preference in his only Miami draft. He likes speed & quickness throughout the offense.
I think they will let Brown try the waters of FreeAgency.
Here's the formula:
Money+cap against maintaining Defense+Cameron's preferences= FreeAgency.

We'll just have to let it play out & see what actually happens, but I can see Brown suiting up for Miami as a serious possibility. Next week will tell.
What Cameron prefers is almost irrelevant. Ozzie has a formula that has worked for him and will not divert from that because of who the offensive coordinator is. What the head coach has more meanings anyway because you can changs coordinators if they don't run the offense the way you want them to.

I read on rotoworld that Jason Brown will be asking for Alan Faneca money so I don't think the Ravens will retain him and Scott admitted by himself that it would be a miracle if Baltimore could keep the 3 LBs together..

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/articles/2009/02/22/sports/hsports22209.txt
IF Brown wants to get paid like a guard, then he should be playing guard instead of center and should make it known to potential suiters that is his preference.

Back
Top Bottom