Bubble Watch - Offensive Line | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bubble Watch - Offensive Line

Daytona Fin

Queeks Draw
Club Member
Reaction score
It seems like every year the Dolphins are trying to solidify the offensive line. They spent the 2014 offseason focusing heavily on it but there are still major holes in the interior.

Locks: Branden Albert, Mike Pouncey, Ja’Wuan James, Billy Turner, Jamil Douglas

Near lock: Jason Fox

On the bubble: Jeff Linkenbach, Dallas Thomas, Jacques McClendon, J.D. Walton, Sam Brenner

Long shots: Donald Hawkins, Michael Liedtke, Dionte Savage, Anthony Walker

Last year, the Dolphins entered the season with 10 offensive linemen on the 53-man roster. But that included Mike Pouncey, who was injured.

In 2013, the Dolphins kept nine offensive linemen. If that Dolphins roll with nine this season, that means two of our bubble players are gone.

If the Dolphins sign highly coveted free agent guard Evan Mathis, that could mean three of the bubble players are cut. But Mathis, who won’t come cheap, is in high demand and the Dolphins are one of many teams interested in him.
If Albert isn’t ready Week 1, then there’s no question Fox is back. But even if Albert returns, there will be obvious concerns about his health. And Fox can backup either tackle spot.

The only way Fox is gone is if he really struggles in camp and the preseason and the Dolphins decide they’d rather move James to left tackle if Albert is injured and play Turner, Dallas Thomas or Jeff Linkenbach at right tackle.

If Albert isn’t ready Week 1, it wouldn’t be surprising to see the Dolphins keep 10 offensive linemen.

If he is ready to play, then the final roster cuts will be that much more interesting
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...-thomas-among-linemen-fighting-for-their-job/

Whether it's the guard position, health of our starters, or reliable depth, as it has been for the last 3 years, this will certainly be a unit to watch. Concerns will loom until we see otherwise.

In the 3, going on 4 years that Phailbin has been our HC, we have yet to field anything resembling a good OL. Why? Is it coaching? Is it the players themselves not buying into Joe's program? Can anybody tell me what the deal is here? As tough and durable as Ryan has proven to be, he's going to end up getting seriously hurt behind our OL one of these days. So if any of you have an answer, I'm all eyes.

In the 3, going on 4 years that Phailbin has been our HC, we have yet to field anything resembling a good OL. Why? Is it coaching? Is it the players themselves not buying into Joe's program? Can anybody tell me what the deal is here? As tough and durable as Ryan has proven to be, he's going to end up getting seriously hurt behind our OL one of these days. So if any of you have an answer, I'm all eyes.

We were headed in the right direction under Benton last year until Albert went down. Yes, all teams experience injuries, but you have to take into account the lack of talent and depth that was left by Ireland and there was only so much Hickey & Co could do in one offseason.

If you play offensive guard and you get cut by the Dolphins, you should honestly consider what you want to do besides play professional football.

The offensive line has been a problem dating back 10 plus years. I remember in 2007 the unit was easily the worst in the NFL. Even with two head coaches that had offensive line backgrounds (Sparano and Philibin) the line has continued to be a constant work in progress.

Hopefully, the unit is headed in the right direction but there are still questions at guard.

What have we dont this off-season to improve our offensive line?

Answer me that honestly.

Answer me that honestly.

:idk:

11191222_1506296142924233_2004745503_n.jpg

From what I've heard then Fox is a lock, because philbin said specifically that they wanted James to stay on the right side. I like the idea of having Fox backing up Albert and James and having Mathis starting with Turner and Douglas fighting for that last spot. That's a pretty decent situation if you ask me.

Answer me that honestly.

Gotten healthier with Turner and Albert and brought in a really good prospect in Douglas. Also everyone knows that Mathis is just patiently waiting for gm's to get off vacation. Its the off offseason.

Back
Top Bottom