Bucky Brooks: Brent Grimes- 6th best cover corner | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bucky Brooks: Brent Grimes- 6th best cover corner

gafin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
6) Brent Grimes, Miami Dolphins: It's hard for some scouts to embrace a diminutive corner (5-10 or shorter) on the perimeter, but it's impossible to ignore Grimes' production in 2013. In his seventh pro season, Grimes finished with four picks and 17 pass breakups, displaying tremendous athleticism and skill as a cover corner. He excels at winning 50-50 balls down field, with his superb leaping skills allowing him to compete against big-bodied pass catchers. There's a lot to like about what Grimes brings to the table as a No. 1 corner, including 16 interceptions in his past 61 games.

Former Dolphin Vontae Davis number 10.

10) Vontae Davis, Indianapolis Colts: Considered a bit of an underachiever for much of his pro career, the former first-round pick stepped it up in 2013 to give the Colts a legitimate No. 1 corner on the perimeter. Davis was terrific in the team's aggressive scheme, exhibiting solid skills in bump-and-run coverage. Although the sixth-year pro still falls asleep at the wheel on occasion, his physical style wears down opponents over the course of a game. If he becomes more consistent and continues to perform against elite opponents in 2014, Davis could rise up the charts when observers take a long, hard look at what he can do.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-joe-haden-aqib-talib-among-top-cover-corners

interesting read but jon joseph is not anywhere near the same player he was when he first got to houston...makes a really good point about grimes leaping ability and how he plays 50/50 balls in the air

I think it is funny that he calls Sherman a shutdown corner. Sherman is a gambler who doesn't shut down opposing wide-outs at all. I don't have the exact stats at hand, but the completion percentage against him over the past two years is not in the same ballpark as elite level shutdown corners.

As much as I would have loved to keep Vontae......I think trading him kicked him in the ass and helped make him progress.

interesting read but jon joseph is not anywhere near the same player he was when he first got to houston...makes a really good point about grimes leaping ability and how he plays 50/50 balls in the air

Interesting note on Grimes' jumping ability. I've seen claims of him having a 42 inch vert, but I couldn't find any site that lists combine/pro day results to back that claim. I did find sites that listed his pro day vert at 33.5 inches. I don't know the story behind that, but he definitely plays/looks like a guy who jumps 40+ inches.

I think the list is pretty solid 1-6. If Talib were more trustworthy, I'd slot him ahead of Haden. I think Brooks is on point with his reasoning for rating Sherman ahead of Peterson.

I think it is funny that he calls Sherman a shutdown corner. Sherman is a gambler who doesn't shut down opposing wide-outs at all. I don't have the exact stats at hand, but the completion percentage against him over the past two years is not in the same ballpark as elite level shutdown corners.

Don't know who you could confuse for Richard Sherman, but . . .

1. Richard Sherman, Seahawks: Thrown at 58 times in 1,003 snaps. 30 completions (51.7 percent) for 421 yards, 2 TDs, 8 INTs. Yards after catch: 112. Opposing QB Rating: 47.3.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/fantasy-football-today/24574751/corners-that-qbs-avoid-like-the-plague

you must be thinking of someone else.

yeah if grimes doesnt jump 40 inches he has ideal timing and feel for the wr and times his leaps perfectly...you shouldnt normally be able to get by at that size against bigger wrs and while he does struggle with some size and i don't feel great when he's up against it you can't knock the compete level...he doesnt give you anything unless the coverage dictates it...and in our scheme sometimes the coverage call gives away some things

as for peterson i will be in the minority but i think he gets a bump for his return abilities...i don't believe he's quite as good as he's perceived...i may be biased cause i watched brian hartline work him over pretty good when we played the cards and i can't get that out of my head...hartline should not be able to do anything against the best in the game...hartline does squat when he faces a healthy cromartie for instance...and miami won't even look that way when revis provided revis is still the same player lines up across from him

high end press man corners all have good size and are bull strong...guys like sherman and browning they don't have great hips and fluidity but they are bulls at the los and they get hands on guys and physically maul them...and frankly they also get away with a lot of contact after the 5 yard zone...but they all bench brick houses pretty much...25 plus reps type stuff despite really long arms

bull strong is absolutely a requirement in more stiff hipped less fluid oversized corners otherwise they get torched by better hipped and explosion athletes...

and with revis i dont think it matters what scheme you run that dude in his prime at least was as good as the game has ever seen...2 years off of surgery we better hope he doesnt get back to that level...the guy runs routes for the wrs he mirrors so well...miami better use a lot of late motion and motion with the wrs to get good looks on guys like revis and browner...i expect the pats to run a heavy press man jam you at the line and ride you scheme and effect timing of routes etc...and to do it damn well...and miami doesnt have any physical wrs that don't mind playing that game...closest to it being landry and mathews and no real size

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people just hate on Sherman. I really don't get it. He is very good

But hoops, I agree, Peterson is massively over rated... I'd love to have a shutdown corner in their prime though.. Grimes is getting up there in age

Some people just hate on Sherman. I really don't get it. He is very good

But hoops, I agree, Peterson is massively over rated... I'd love to have a shutdown corner in their prime though.. Grimes is getting up there in age

I don't hate him but he has the most help around him, Seattle plays incredible team defense. Sherman is a great player in his role but I don't see him as s shutdown corner like a Revis. I can't be accused of being a homer w/ revis anymore since he's a Pat, revis is the best cover corner I have ever seen. He wasn't himself alst year coming off the injury but was still a top notch corner. another year removed from surgery and I expect the real revis to be back this year and when he is right no one is even in the discussion with him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't hate him but he has the most help around him, Seattle plays incredible team defense. Sherman is a great player in his role but I don't see him as s shutdown corner like a Revis. I can't be accused of being a homer w/ revis anymore since he's a Pat, revis is the best cover corner I have ever seen. He wasn't himself alst year coming off the injury but was still a top notch corner. another year removed from surgery and I expect the real revis to be back this year and when he is right no one is even in the discussion with him.

No doubt being on that defense benefits him (and everyone else) but he is also a big part of it. I dont think he would be as successful on other teams but he is still a great player. Agreed on Revis being the cream of the crop tho.. For our sake I hope he doesn't return to form. The only bright side is that his one weakness is true speed (see being burnt by Ted Ginn) so there is a chance Wallace could get open against him eventually. Whether Tannehill can hit him or not will be the issue

No doubt being on that defense benefits him (and everyone else) but he is also a big part of it. I dont think he would be as successful on other teams but he is still a great player. Agreed on Revis being the cream of the crop tho.. For our sake I hope he doesn't return to form. The only bright side is that his one weakness is true speed (see being burnt by Ted Ginn) so there is a chance Wallace could get open against him eventually. Whether Tannehill can hit him or not will be the issue

he shut Wallace down when he faced him as a Jet but we'll see what happens this year.

Just saying, elite speed is his occasional weakness. Revis is still insanely good

Back
Top Bottom