Bucs Coach uses the 72 Dolphins as motivation | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bucs Coach uses the 72 Dolphins as motivation

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
I saw this article in the Tampa Tribune concerning Michael Pittman as a team player, and I was proud to see that Coach Jon Gruden often reference the 1972 Miami Dolphins to his players.

Quote:

He likes to remind them how en route to a 17-0 season, receivers weren't counting how many passes they caught or how many rushing yards were gained. Individual statistics didn't matter - only winning.

Bucs running back Michael Pittman would have fit right in on that team.

"He'll come in and ask me if there's anything more he can do to help the team," Gruden said. "There are a lot of guys who would rather catch eight balls and lose. There are a lot of guys who would rather run for 162 yards and lose.

"Pittman's not like that. He's one of those team guys. He just wants to win."

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bucs/MGBBK3FWFQE.html

It is good that the 72 Dolphins sometimes get there just due. It is perplexing to me that that team is not considered the best ever. But IMO they are.

BAMAPHIN 22 said:
It is good that the 72 Dolphins sometimes get there just due. It is perplexing to me that that team is not considered the best ever. But IMO they are.
Hard to argue with perfection, but as good as that team was, I think the team that went 12-2 in the regular season and won SB VIII the following year was even better.

It is really nice to see that they are still getting recognized for what they did 34 years ago. That was a really good team. Too ba I never got to witness them playing.

I will Argue the Point!

Goin` Deep said:
Hard to argue with perfection, but as good as that team was, I think the team that went 12-2 in the regular season and won SB VIII the following year was even better.

Maybe looking at these rankings will change your mind....

The 73 Fins were # 5 in Points Scored, # 16 in Total Offensive Yards, # 1 in Points Allowed, and # 4 In Defensive Yards Allowed...

The 72 Fins were ranked # 1 across the board...

Maybe they had more talent in the 73 team, but I believe the 72 was the only team in NFL history to be ranked # 1 in these 4 categories...

:D Number 1 across the board. How I would love to see that happen again. Perhaps Saban will be the man to create a team that can finally equal the '72 Dolphins.:dolphins:

Back
Top Bottom