Buffalo @ Miami Matchup Analysis by WPBtoRNOFinFan | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Buffalo @ Miami Matchup Analysis by WPBtoRNOFinFan

WPBtoRNOFinFan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Here are a few key matchups to watch as Miami takes on the Bills.....

J.P. Losman and his recievers vs. Miami's Secondary - With Lee Evans and Peerless Price slated to start this game, it would seem that if Daniels was healthy, he could be the answer to Price. On that note, Daniels is questionable and we should gameplan for the worst. I predict the matchup on the outside to be Evans-W. Allen, Price-Goodman. I think that the Price-Goodman one could be one that the Bills attempt to exploit, if Losman has time to throw. Edge: :dolphins:

Willis McGahee vs. Miami's Linebacking Corps. - I am fully confident that our d-line can contain Buffalo's o-line. On that note, I feel that McGahee should not be breaking long runs against us, and should be stopped for short gains on his runs. With Thomas and Crowder patrolling the middle in the 3-4 allignment, and Spragan and Taylor on the outside, I feel that we are in good shape with inside and outside runs, and should easily keep him under 100 yards. Edge: :dolphins:

Buffalo's O-Line vs. Miami's D-line - Mike Gandy, Tutan Reyes, Melvin Fowler, Chris Villarrial, and Jason Peters vs. Jason Taylor, Keith Traylor, Vonnie Holiday, and Kevin Carter. I personally think that there will be little contest at the line of scrimmage, that seems to be the biggest mismatch of the game. Games are won and lost in the trenches, and I feel confident that this game will be decided there as well. All of Buffalo's backs managed 4.1 yard per cary against the Patriots, which is a respectable average against a good defense. Losman was brought down three times last game, the same number of sacks that we sacrificed to the Steelers. Statistically, things seem to be a fair match up, but talent vs. talent and coaching vs. coaching would lead me to believe that the Dolphins will come out on top of this matchup. Edge: :dolphins:

Daunte Culpepper vs. Buffalo's Secondary - The Bills website says that they are starting Nate Clements, Terrence McGee, Ko Simpson, and Matt Bowen (Donte Whitner is listed as 3rd string?). If this is the case, Chambers had a great day last year against Clements, McGee isn't a slouch, but is smallish and a speedster. He will probably be matched up against Booker. Booker always seems to find a way to get open, and McGee is not that good. These safeties could be having fits trying to cover McMichael or Welker, depending upon their package. However, if Clements tightens up on Chambers, we could see another quiet week out of him. In the end, though, I feel that we have enough offensive weapons to outgun this secondary. Edge: :dolphins:

Ronnie Brown/Fins Running Game vs. Buffalo's Front Seven - The Bills allowed 5 yards per carry among New England's three backs that they used to pound them for 180 yards (Brady rushed for 3 yard on 5 attempts, so I excluded that). We averaged 2.11 yards per carry with Culpepper and Brown (Culpepper was 3 for 8 yards, Brown 15 carries, 30 yards). I expect at least Brown's average to be pretty good, maybe not huuuge, but you never know. Barnes needs to do a better job lead-blocking for Brown, and not whiffing blocks in pass pro, but this is about the run game. Fletcher is a good run stuffer, and an injured Spikes is better than the sixth round pick they would be plugging in his place. I think Crowell is overrated, but racked up decent numbers against the Pats. Edge: :dolphins:

I think that this should be a good game, but the Dolphins should dominate in the end.

Good analysis but somewhat biased. I'm not sure that I would give our secondary the edge over any receivers until they prove otherwise. I like Allen alot and think he will be better than Madison was his last couple of years here. These guys are unproven in this system so far and Daniels was good but far from a shut down corner last year even if he can play. You add McGahee into the passing game and IMO the Jills or most teams have the edge at this point in the season. Now if you throw the Opera Man into the mix that sort of evens things out because he is terrible.
You mentioned WM against our LB's - IMO our biggest weakness game 1 was at LB. I know the safe finger point is at the secondary but I didn't see anyone other than Zach making tackles at the line of scrimmage. Crowder disappointed me in that game and Spragan was an afterthought. JT was non existent when he dropped. I"m not a fan of WM but how can you give our underperforming LB's the edge against a good back?
I also think that until Holliday is taken out as a DT on running downs we will be exposed. I think VH is a stud but he is too small to stuff the run at DT - get him some snaps at DE and give JT a break. JT could certainly use a break on some running downs at DE since other teams tend to run right at him and toss him aside like a rag doll.

WPBtoRNOFinFan said:
Here are a few key matchups to watch as Miami takes on the Bills.....

J.P. Losman and his recievers vs. Miami's Secondary - With Lee Evans and Peerless Price slated to start this game, it would seem that if Daniels was healthy, he could be the answer to Price. On that note, Daniels is questionable and we should gameplan for the worst. I predict the matchup on the outside to be Evans-W. Allen, Price-Goodman. I think that the Price-Goodman one could be one that the Bills attempt to exploit, if Losman has time to throw. Edge: :dolphins: He will

Willis McGahee vs. Miami's Linebacking Corps. - I am fully confident that our d-line can contain Buffalo's o-line. On that note, I feel that McGahee should not be breaking long runs against us, and should be stopped for short gains on his runs. With Thomas and Crowder patrolling the middle in the 3-4 allignment, and Spragan and Taylor on the outside, I feel that we are in good shape with inside and outside runs, and should easily keep him under 100 yards. Edge: :dolphins: yea but the a train might

Buffalo's O-Line vs. Miami's D-line - Mike Gandy, Tutan Reyes, Melvin Fowler, Chris Villarrial, and Jason Peters vs. Jason Taylor, Keith Traylor, Vonnie Holiday, and Kevin Carter. I personally think that there will be little contest at the line of scrimmage, that seems to be the biggest mismatch of the game. Games are won and lost in the trenches, and I feel confident that this game will be decided there as well. All of Buffalo's backs managed 4.1 yard per cary against the Patriots, which is a respectable average against a good defense. Losman was brought down three times last game, the same number of sacks that we sacrificed to the Steelers. Statistically, things seem to be a fair match up, but talent vs. talent and coaching vs. coaching would lead me to believe that the Dolphins will come out on top of this matchup. Edge: :dolphins:
i say were even OLine v DLine

Daunte Culpepper vs. Buffalo's Secondary - The Bills website says that they are starting Nate Clements, Terrence McGee, Ko Simpson, and Matt Bowen (Donte Whitner is listed as 3rd string?). If this is the case, Chambers had a great day last year against Clements, McGee isn't a slouch, but is smallish and a speedster. He will probably be matched up against Booker. Booker always seems to find a way to get open, and McGee is not that good. These safeties could be having fits trying to cover McMichael or Welker, depending upon their package. However, if Clements tightens up on Chambers, we could see another quiet week out of him. In the end, though, I feel that we have enough offensive weapons to outgun this secondary. Edge: :dolphins: Mcgee is as good as clements

Ronnie Brown/Fins Running Game vs. Buffalo's Front Seven - The Bills allowed 5 yards per carry among New England's three backs that they used to pound them for 180 yards (Brady rushed for 3 yard on 5 attempts, so I excluded that). We averaged 2.11 yards per carry with Culpepper and Brown (Culpepper was 3 for 8 yards, Brown 15 carries, 30 yards). I expect at least Brown's average to be pretty good, maybe not huuuge, but you never know. Barnes needs to do a better job lead-blocking for Brown, and not whiffing blocks in pass pro, but this is about the run game. Fletcher is a good run stuffer, and an injured Spikes is better than the sixth round pick they would be plugging in his place. I think Crowell is overrated, but racked up decent numbers against the Pats. Edge: :dolphins: definitly not huge
no way

I think that this should be a good game, but the Dolphins should dominate in the end.
i agree and disagree here it will be a gg but ur not going to dominate us it will be close

Thats the biggest bunch or horse bologna I've ever seen. McGee not that good? Game in and game out he shuts down whichever #2 receiver he faces. He may not be a #1, but he is among the best #2s in the game.

Your secondary, which is the worst in the league, has the advantage over our receivers. Aside from Price and Evans, the Bills also have 500 yarder Josh Reed and playmaker Roscoe Parrish.

Willis vrs. The LBs. This is a clear advantage to Willis. Aside from Thomas, your LBs are BAD. Yes, your Dline is better than our oline, but you're suppose to be talking LBs and RBs, not lines.

And lastly, Crowell is not over-rated. To be over-rated, people actually have to give you credit. Crowell is a solid young player with good speed and never misses a tackle.

The rest you're pretty much on, but before you post another analysis, take the blinders off.

Squish_The_Fish said:
Thats the biggest bunch or horse bologna I've ever seen. McGee not that good? Game in and game out he shuts down whichever #2 receiver he faces. He may not be a #1, but he is among the best #2s in the game.

Your secondary, which is the worst in the league, has the advantage over our receivers. Aside from Price and Evans, the Bills also have 500 yarder Josh Reed and playmaker Roscoe Parrish.

Willis vrs. The LBs. This is a clear advantage to Willis. Aside from Thomas, your LBs are BAD. Yes, your Dline is better than our oline, but you're suppose to be talking LBs and RBs, not lines.

And lastly, Crowell is not over-rated. To be over-rated, people actually have to give you credit. Crowell is a solid young player with good speed and never misses a tackle.

The rest you're pretty much on, but before you post another analysis, take the blinders off.

I am sorry but Packers are still in the league. A secondary so bad that Charles Woodson could not improve it.

Aside from Thomas, your LBs are BAD

Ever heard of Channing Crowder? "Bad" would hardly describe him.

One of the better young LBs in the league.

i agree the original post seemed bias. its really tough doing positional breakdowns to determine the better team cuz its a team sport. at the level of the nfl it takes a full team effort to win. i think all is pretty equal except that i think our passing offense has the edge. until i see better play calling come from our o i cant give us an edge in coaching.

Squish_The_Fish said:
Willis vrs. The LBs. This is a clear advantage to Willis. Aside from Thomas, your LBs are BAD.

I don't know if you know much about football, but Channing Crowder is a very highly rated Linebacker. He was rated second behind Shawne Merriman last year for rookie linebackers. He plays all 3 positions well and is a very fast and solid tackler.

Yes, my post was biased. I was bored in my political science class, but I also looked at things realistically. The Bills are not a playoff caliber team, let alone a championship caliber team (such as the Steelers), and the Steelers played at a championship caliber against us, and we still almost beat them (save for those ever-so-minor 4th quarter breakdowns). I think our team is a lot better than we are being given credit for at this point, but we haven't proven anything.

WPBtoRNOFinFan said:
Yes, my post was biased. I was bored in my political science class, but I also looked at things realistically. The Bills are not a playoff caliber team, let alone a championship caliber team (such as the Steelers), and the Steelers played at a championship caliber against us, and we still almost beat them (save for those ever-so-minor 4th quarter breakdowns). I think our team is a lot better than we are being given credit for at this point, but we haven't proven anything.

Are the Pats "Championship Caliber"?

Whitner20 said:
Are the Pats "Championship Caliber"?
Probably moreso than a team led by Charlie Batch...or a team that gives up three TDs to Charlie Batch.

Back
Top Bottom