Building an Offensive line always starts with the center. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Building an Offensive line always starts with the center.

Ray R

Club Member
Reaction score
I see all the posts for improving the offensive line and they focus on the ends, followed closely by the guards with an occasional mention about the center.

As far as I'm concerned, the heart of the offensive line, and certainly the brains of the offensive line is the center. He has the responsibilities of making sure the line is set up correctly and then getting the ball to the QB, in that order. The offensive line acts in concert as a unit with the center being the "QB" of the line.

I watched the Bengals of the 70's bring in a new coach (Forrest Gregg) and he brought in a new center. The next year he brought in two great OL players, Munoz and Montoya. the next year they were in a super bowl.

Many fans still remember Munoz and Montoya, but not as many remember the center. He was chosen first because the center is the most important offensive position, after the QB. As great as Munoz and Montoya were, the center was more important.

Every position on the offensive line follows the center

I see all the posts for improving the offensive line and they focus on the ends, followed closely by the guards with an occasional mention about the center.

As far as I'm concerned, the heart of the offensive line, and certainly the brains of the offensive line is the center. He has the responsibilities of making sure the line is set up correctly and then getting the ball to the QB, in that order. The offensive line acts in concert as a unit with the center being the "QB" of the line.

I watched the Bengals of the 70's bring in a new coach (Forrest Gregg) and he brought in a new center. The next year he brought in two great OL players, Munoz and Montoya. the next year they were in a super bowl.

Many fans still remember Munoz and Montoya, but not as many remember the center. He was chosen first because the center is the most important offensive position, after the QB. As great as Munoz and Montoya were, the center was more important.

Ray, there are good stats that back up success rates for centers that are drafted in the 1st round. And recent data tells us that the center position signs the highest amount of contracts from their original draft teams. And there are more success rates with drafting a center in the 1st round more than any other position. In this draft, we can get a center with our 2nd round pick. If anything, I wish we had more 2nd rd picks.

How about Xavien Howard to Baltimore for Orlando Brown and run with: Lt Brown, Lg Hunt, C rookie/karras, Rg Kindley and Rt Sewell. That sounds like a future elite o-line and you could trade Jackson for a 2nd round pick to add a rookie corner to compete with Igbinoghene opposite Jones in the secondary. Imagine that oline blocking for Najee Harris and protecting Tua.

Last edited:
I'd say most pockets collapse from the outside in. Yes, center's have to block or pressure will come straight up the middle but guards are usually there to assist and pinch down when needed. Most pass rushers seem to attack from the outside and stunts usually attack the B and C gaps instead of the center's A gaps.

You often hear building from the inside out.

During Miami's super bowl years, the team had Jim Langer and Dwight Stevenson.

Who was the Bengals center under Forrest Gregg?

It was Bob Johnson. He had been with the team since 1968 and retired from the Bengals around 1979.

I was thinking he got a new contract the year Forest Gregg became their coach.

Forest Greg was, I think, the last NFL player who played on both the offensive line and defensive line each game. I guess when he was asked what he was going to do about the Bengals QB, Ken Anderson who was not having good years, he knew what he was talking about. His reply was a classic:

"No one can throw lying on their back".

A few years later they were in a Superbowl. I guess the their front line improved, allowing Ken Anderson to shine, and it all started with the center by retaining Bob Johnston and then adding Munoz and Montoya the next year.

I'd say most pockets collapse from the outside in. Yes, center's have to block or pressure will come straight up the middle but guards are usually there to assist and pinch down when needed. Most pass rushers seem to attack from the outside and stunts usually attack the B and C gaps instead of the center's A gaps.

The modern defensive approach is in line with what an old baseball player once said about getting hits. His name was Ty Cobb and he said "hit 'em where they ain't".

That thinking is certainly true for how defenses attack offenses.

Umm isn’t Orlando brown in baltimore

Still think of the Browns and his dad when I see Orlando Brown's name. Brown Jr is with the Ravens. He says he want's to be traded to a team that will play him at left tackle. Thats why I said play him on the left side and draft Sewell for the Tua's blindside at right tackle.

Last edited:
The modern defensive approach is in line with what an old baseball player once said about getting hits. His name was Ty Cobb and he said "hit 'em where they ain't".

That thinking is certainly true for how defenses attack offenses.
True, but it's still crowded at the center of the line and there's less real estate for a defense to hit them where they ain't. As tackles have to move farther away from the center of the line to protect outside rushers, the B gap tends to usually open up more than any other gap and thus defenses tend to attack with stunts in that area.

It's true that centers are the brains before the snap and vital with that responsibility and it's vital to protect the inside but there's more difficulty and importance to what's going on during the play with tackles and guards. The center rarely moves much from his spot whether it's run or pass. There are exceptions but not many. Depending on blocking schemes guards have tremendous responsibility with the timing of run blocks and knowing when to shed one defender and move to the next level. Tackles have to be quick to deal with speedy pass rushers that also have a strong bull rush. Tackles have to be quick and strong. Both tackles and guards have to be aware of stunts and delayed blitzes while they are already blocking somebody. The center is typically limited during the play and has far less to worry about.

Right on. No coincidence that when we went to 5 SBs our centers were HOF players. Also no coincidence we haven’t had a great center since and have not been back.

Back
Top Bottom