Building our team to beat the patriots | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Building our team to beat the patriots

Gatorman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Although I do not buy the "Dynasty" crap, I do remember the 80's before FA became what it is and how those teams on the cusp (GB, DAL, The Bears, SF with steve Young) all had to beat a dynastic team to get their SB win. The Miami Dolphins, more than any other team, need to be built to beat the NEw ENgland Patriots in 2004.

My Blue Print:

1) Defensively: Our defense was very good at keeping the patriots in check, so I would say minimul tinkering in needed here. However, I believe the patriots will use their 2 first rounders to get a RB, so our ability to stop the run and get to Brady must stay the same or improve. Therefore, Losing O-Gun in the offseason may be a step in the wrong direction unless we are CONFIDENT someone can step in and at least be as good in run support (I doubt anyone will be as good as a pass rusher)

2) Offensively: Well, we can thank the Carolina Panthers for this. We need 3 WRs that can make the clutch catch/stretch the field. We need a better O line and a QB that cna move in the pocket (a little) and throw deep. DUH! However, I believe this rules out a guy like Brunell and puts more emphasis on a guy like Garcia or Kitna. Even Brad Johnson moves around in the pocket better than Brunell does now. As for WR, I believe this means we need to take a run at a good WR in FA and draft one as well. DJax or the dream, steve smith, + CC + a drafted WR in one of the first 3 rounds with decent speed should be looked at. We also need 1 Guard and a RT that can move well. I know this is a lot, but I'd take a long look at using our ENTIRE draft to make the offensive side of the ball better as well as most of FA.

Coaching: The Coaches need to decide that new england is the team we need to take chances against more than anyone else. Look to the deep ball more in those games. Use your TE better. Misdirection, onside kicks, etc. Try to disrupt the mindset of bill bellichek by creating a totally different look for those games. Use a Pro set vs the power I. Send RW deep into the pass route. Put RW and Minor on the field together. Remeber when JJ played the Redskins when they went 14-2. He threw his entire playbook at them. Do this as well.

When the talking heads say we're close, I agree in the sense that we SHOULDA beat the patriots here in Miami, and if the OC had any faith in our QB we might have won in NE. This team needs to improve our offense just enough so the patriots need to defend the whole field. The Panthers attacked the Whole field yesterday. The Dolphins attack the 15 yards in front of them.

Gatorman

and if they are gonna go all out ag. the Pats - cover the infield dirt, too ;)

Originally posted by dolphan39
and if they are gonna go all out ag. the Pats - cover the infield dirt, too ;)

Forgot about that. Yeah, cover the infield or water the crap out of it!

Back
Top Bottom