Building the roster.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Building the roster....

Lee2000

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Sometimes what you have in front of you in terms of behavior and the product at hand is as it is. What Miami has done in free agency speaks for itself. It was not used to build the roster this year as much as in the past. The Front Office has stated the way to build the team is through the draft and their action have indicated such.
Now Mueller has hinted that there is a need for more draft picks to use in the draft. That should be an indirect message to those who are talking about trading picks in this year and next year's draft to move up. Now you can say that is typical deception, but I do not think so this year. The Dolphins could have 10 picks going into the draft weekend if Jones is not signed, and each one of those picks will be translated into potential roster spots.
The biggest homework for the front office is finding gems in the final 5 picks (2 6s and possibly 3 7s). That in my view point will be the telling point in how successful this team will be in this years draft. Finding guys in those late rounds who will make the roster and contribute.
And for the nay say guys on last year's draft. It is quite possible that all but one (the Auburn reciever who was cut in training camp) of those guys drafted last year will be on the team and contribute this year. So don't throw out the 06 draft yet. I am excited about R. Wright and Evans and they were 7th round guys.

The team's intentions are right in front of us I believe. It is fun to speculate and have a multitude of trades, but the trades this year I believe will be down to get more picks.

Lee2000

Good post. I agree completely. I hate Saban for what he has done, but I think he did pretty good with the draft.

i could see us trading up for quinn if he falls to #6 (giving 60 or 71) or possibly trading up into late round 1 for Staley (could go earlier) but those are the only possible scenarios where i see us giving up a pick to move up. Accumulating more picks is the best idea no doubt..... unless someone slides to #9... its not a great spot for us to be in and trading down into the mid 1st is more to our liking IMO. Staley....Ginn...Willis...Brown etc. are all great picks if we could trade down.

Sometimes what you have in front of you in terms of behavior and the product at hand is as it is. What Miami has done in free agency speaks for itself. It was not used to build the roster this year as much as in the past. The Front Office has stated the way to build the team is through the draft and their action have indicated such.
Now Mueller has hinted that there is a need for more draft picks to use in the draft. That should be an indirect message to those who are talking about trading picks in this year and next year's draft to move up. Now you can say that is typical deception, but I do not think so this year. The Dolphins could have 10 picks going into the draft weekend if Jones is not signed, and each one of those picks will be translated into potential roster spots.
The biggest homework for the front office is finding gems in the final 5 picks (2 6s and possibly 3 7s). That in my view point will be the telling point in how successful this team will be in this years draft. Finding guys in those late rounds who will make the roster and contribute.
And for the nay say guys on last year's draft. It is quite possible that all but one (the Auburn reciever who was cut in training camp) of those guys drafted last year will be on the team and contribute this year. So don't throw out the 06 draft yet. I am excited about R. Wright and Evans and they were 7th round guys.

The team's intentions are right in front of us I believe. It is fun to speculate and have a multitude of trades, but the trades this year I believe will be down to get more picks.

Lee2000

Respectable point of view. But building a franchise must start with quality at almost every possible position: QB, RB, WR, S, LB, DE, OT, etc in order to make the team. So having no sure thing at QB may hurt much than anything else.

As Today, our passing options reduce to Cleo Lemon, Gibran Hamdan and an injured Daunte Culpepper. DC needs time to recover and more time to learn the offensive system. Cleo is clearly not ready. And Hamdan is far away from starting level at NFL.

Bringing in someone else than JaMarcus Russell or Brady Quinn in the draft
would require a larger process and may implicate drafting again another high pick QB on near future drafts.

The right price for BQ would be to trade up with Washington in order to avoid Minnesota picking him. This would require paying with our #9 & #60 (obtained from NE with Wes Welker trade), allowing us to deal for Washington's #6 & #143 (5th round).

Using draft algebra:

MIA#9 + MIA#60 = 1350 + 300 = 1650
WAS#6 + WAS#143 = 1600 + 34.5 = 1634.5

As we're willing to give up something in the deal, it's fair.

Lee, I have to respectfully disagree with you somewhat. I do think you build a team through the draft and compliment the team via free agency. However, here is what Mueller said on the Colin Cowherd show last week, "Happy to have 9 picks, hoping to get a few more to be able to move around as draft goes on."

This tells me they are going to move around and get the players they want. Mueller has moved up and down in every draft he has been in charge of and I don't see any reason to think this one will be any different.

QB is the most glaring need on this team and they need to take a player that will play sooner than later. We all know about Quinn and depending on who you read either Kolb or Edwards is #2 on their board with Beck coming in at #4. It also seems that Edwards is #2 on the Raiders board and many feel they will take Johnson at #1 and Edwards at #33. Detroit seems to like Stanton and may possibly take him at #34, and it's rumored Cleveland will take Edwards at #36 if Russell isn't there at #3.

If Miami wants one of the top QB's on their board they are going to have to possibly love up for Quinn or see if they have a partner to drop back with and take a QB later in round one.

All I know is it's going to be a fun ride over the next two weeks...LOL

I don't totally disagree with you...

Lee, I have to respectfully disagree with you somewhat. I do think you build a team through the draft and compliment the team via free agency. However, here is what Mueller said on the Colin Cowherd show last week, "Happy to have 9 picks, hoping to get a few more to be able to move around as draft goes on."

This tells me they are going to move around and get the players they want. Mueller has moved up and down in every draft he has been in charge of and I don't see any reason to think this one will be any different.

QB is the most glaring need on this team and they need to take a player that will play sooner than later. We all know about Quinn and depending on who you read either Kolb or Edwards is #2 on their board with Beck coming in at #4. It also seems that Edwards is #2 on the Raiders board and many feel they will take Johnson at #1 and Edwards at #33. Detroit seems to like Stanton and may possibly take him at #34, and it's rumored Cleveland will take Edwards at #36 if Russell isn't there at #3.

If Miami wants one of the top QB's on their board they are going to have to possibly love up for Quinn or see if they have a partner to drop back with and take a QB later in round one.

All I know is it's going to be a fun ride over the next two weeks...LOL

But I would say Miami doesn't have enough leverage right now to move around as Mueller said (he actually said he would love more picks to get that leverage). I just want to discourage the notion they would trade away future picks when the team desperately needs them and the team philosophy is to build through the draft. I think after this year is over Saban's drafts are going to look pretty good. I expect more production from the 06 group and I expect continued development from Roth, Crowder, and Daniels.

Lee2000

But I would say Miami doesn't have enough leverage right now to move around as Mueller said (he actually said he would love more picks to get that leverage). I just want to discourage the notion they would trade away future picks when the team desperately needs them and the team philosophy is to build through the draft. I think after this year is over Saban's drafts are going to look pretty good. I expect more production from the 06 group and I expect continued development from Roth, Crowder, and Daniels.

Lee2000

I think I am one of the few that thinks Miami's roster doesn't need a lot of immediate impact players. The defense is solid and unless they draft someone on the O Line that just comes in and wins the job in camp they are drafting for depth and future seasons.

They have enough picks that they could move up if needed. I am not sure they will move up past #6, but if Quinn is there I could see them giving Washington the #9 and one of the second round picks. If not they will try to drop back and then after they pick (depending on how far they drop) try and trade back into the first round and take the second QB on their board.

I also am not sure I buy the reports of Daunte being cut. I think he will be part of a draft day trade even if it's for a conditional 2008 pick, and it also wouldn't shock me to see R Williams moved on draft day and even Booker.

Mueller is a wheeler and dealer, I know I am looking forward to the 28th and 29th to see what he does.

Lee2000

I agree completely Lee...in fact if Quinn isn't there at #9 and someone comes a-calling us (GB, Carolina if Peterson is still around) then I'm sure Mueller would be all ears. If we could trade down to 13 or 16, we'd more than likely get that combination of BPA and need than at #9 that every team covets with their first pick, and get additional picks to boot. We could really upgrade the team with 3 2nd round picks....and imagine that after getting Staley or Branch or Revis with the first pick. It's just a pipe dream now, but again I'm sure, based off of listening to Mule's PC thats the way he'd go...

Back
Top Bottom