Bush, Dansby and Long sat down with Philbin about Chad Johnson | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bush, Dansby and Long sat down with Philbin about Chad Johnson

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
When the Dolphins cut Chad Johnson following his arrest on domestic violence charges, it didn’t sit well with everyone in the Miami locker room. And three team leaders sat down with head coach Joe Philbin to express their concerns.The Hard Knocks cameras were inside the closed-door meeting in which Reggie Bush,Karlos Dansby and Jake Long talked to Philbin, and although all three players were even-tempered and respectful, they indicated that they think the coaching staff and front office could do a better job of communicating with players who may be in danger of losing their jobs. Dansby had already said publicly that he wasn’t happy with the decision to cut Johnson, and Bush told Philbin privately that he also had concerns.

Philbin listened to what the players had to say, but he also made clear when addressing the team that players getting cut is part of the business they’re in.

“We’re going to have to cut this team to 53 guys, OK? And there’s going to have to be some tough decisions that have to be made, and you’re not going to agree with every decision,” Philbin told the team. “But at the end of the day you have to be supportive. . . . If you have a problem, go see your coach. Go see me.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ong-sat-down-with-philbin-about-chad-johnson/

Problem-Yes
Confronted-Yes
Future Plan in Place-Yes
All Parties seem in agreement-Yes

Now move on....

Long and Bush deserve to be heard, and they deserve to be apart of the meeting process. They should be elected leaders on this football team.

Dansby doesn't belong in the room, and isn't a leader of men.

I like the fact that Philbin wants the veterans committee to be "informal" until the final 53 in announced. In other words, you all have to actually make the final 53 before you can make up the committee. Of course, coach knows that all three will make it, it is just a good example of him keeping them all on their toes.

so we watch hardknocks and make threads about every story line? cool.

Its about time the veteran leaders stood up and took a stake in this team ... I think this could be a big part of this team's improvement this season, glad they stepped up.

I am glad it happens. Living in Australia means I don't get to see Hard Knocks at all. So by creating individual threads, I can 'catch up' and read those that are important to me.

I like the way this meeting went. And I agree with the 'informal' vets committee. Don't count your chickens before they hatch!

This is a message board about the miami dolphins, right?? We are all here to discuss miami dolphin related issues that other miami dolphin fans wish to discuss, right?? Did he some how offend you because you CHOOSE to click on, read, and then post on the thread correctly labeled, about miami dolphin related issues?? :crazy:

As uncomfortable as all parties seemed at the beginning of that segment i think it worked out well. I came out of it respecting all parties involved more than before. Philbin handled it well and seemed to encourage them to be leaders of the team.

Most teams have veteran committees like that.

I remember Strahan talking about how it helped the Giant players in dealing with their notorious hard arse coach, that said...

It is a VERY GOOD thing that Philbin got this done now. Can you imagine what kind of time consuming, 'Mother of All Problems' the coaching staff would have to deal with if Ocho was with them all season long?

Every time he would act like an ADD riddled 6 year old they would have to deal with Dansby crying about unfair treatment to his 'little buddy'.

Who said Chad would not be a distraction? He was already a bigger distraction than the ENTIRE Hard Knocks filming crew.

Omar said they had something similar last year FWIW

boo hoo, coach. you cut our favorite clown! you need to let us know if our performance and character are so pathetic that head-butting our wife will get us cut!

but wait guys, did Philbin make eye contact with them the entire time? Or was he more worried that their shoes were untied? Cause you know if either is the case, he has no ability to communicate with the team.

While I like what I've seen from Philbin so far, in the back of my mind I kept wondering......would Shula have had a meeting like this over a player like Johnson?
(of course I would imagine that Shula's players would have weeded Johnson out long ago)

Back
Top Bottom