Bust, Bust, Hit: Third Season's a Charm? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bust, Bust, Hit: Third Season's a Charm?

MiamiSportsGen

Keeping the Fan Faith Alive
Reaction score
It's time to be frank and honest. The Trifecta has not succeeded in improving the Miami Dolphins roster through free agency and trades. Their greatest success has come via the draft, which is a time-consuming means of bolstering a team. Nonetheless, the Dolphins have posted a 18-14 record under Bill Parcells and Company in their first two seasons at the helm. Hence, the Dolphins have played well, but not well enough to contend.

In their most aggressive pursuit of talent yet, the Dolphins went out and traded for WR Brandon Marshall, signed LB Karlos Dansby and signed G Richie Incognito this offseason. By DolFans standards, it is an impressive gesture and commitment on behalf of the front office; something that has not been seen in the last decade.

But despite the impressions these moves have made on the Fins faithful, the work of these players have yet to be seen in a Dolphins uniform. After all, was it not...

More at MiamiSportsGeneration.com

It was only a matter of time for the Doom and Gloom thread.

If you read further, you'll find that it actually isn't gloom and doom. It points out the realities of the first two seasons and the bright future of the upcoming season and beyond.

We haven't been all that bad outside of the draft. Randy Starks, Jason Ferguson, Anthony Fasano, Jake Grove, Justin Smiley, Lousaka Polite, Chad Pennington, Cameron Wake. We've had our share of high profile free agent busts, but a good chunk of this team wasn't taken by this regime in the draft.

It's time to be frank and honest. The Trifecta has not succeeded in improving the Miami Dolphins roster through free agency and trades. Their greatest success has come via the draft, which is a time-consuming means of bolstering a team. Nonetheless, the Dolphins have posted a 18-14 record under Bill Parcells and Company in their first two seasons at the helm. Hence, the Dolphins have played well, but not well enough to contend.

In their most aggressive pursuit of talent yet, the Dolphins went out and traded for WR Brandon Marshall, signed LB Karlos Dansby and signed G Richie Incognito this offseason. By DolFans standards, it is an impressive gesture and commitment on behalf of the front office; something that has not been seen in the last decade.

But despite the impressions these moves have made on the Fins faithful, the work of these players have yet to be seen in a Dolphins uniform. After all, was it not...

More at MiamiSportsGeneration.com

Pennington was drafted two years ago then? Polite? Bess? Grove, Smiley, Fasano, Wake?

I think this whole notion that the FO is bad at acquiring free agents is not entirely correct. Didn't they get Penne who was second in the MVP voting at the end of the season? What about Starks who played very well here last year? What about Lou Polite? Didn't they get Fasano and Adoloye for a fourth (both have been starters, even if they haven't been stellar) and Jason Ferguson for a 6th?

They have had some misses in free agency/trades and some busts, but they are certainly doing better than anyone has here in a long time.

We haven't been all that bad outside of the draft. Randy Starks, Jason Ferguson, Anthony Fasano, Jake Grove, Justin Smiley, Lousaka Polite, Chad Pennington, Cameron Wake. We've had our share of high profile free agent busts, but a good chunk of this team wasn't taken by this regime in the draft.

You make a point on a few of those names, like Starks, Ferguson, Polite and Pennington. But Fasano, Grove, Smiley and Wake have had their fair share of sporadic performances - they have not produced consistently either due to injuries or "off days."

I mean, Smiley is currently on the trading/chopping block and has been told to not attend OTAs. He's likely gone after one season. Grove was injured for a significant amount of time last season. Fasano was nowhere near his 2008 self and Wake is still unproven outside of a pass rusher.

So to keep things in perspective, there have been good offseason moves outside of the draft, but there have been plenty of misses in the process. And the fact that the Dolphins missed doesn't hurt, it's the amount of money that they wasted in the process...like they did on Gibril Wilson.

I think this whole notion that the FO is bad at acquiring free agents is not entirely correct. Didn't they get Penne who was second in the MVP voting at the end of the season? What about Starks who played very well here last year? What about Lou Polite? Didn't they get Fasano and Adoloye for a fourth (both have been starters, even if they haven't been stellar) and Jason Ferguson for a 6th?

They have had some misses in free agency/trades and some busts, but they are certainly doing better than anyone has here in a long time.

Absolutely true. Even with these misses they have done a better job than previous FO's in recent history. But comparing to those times will not gauge whether the Dolphins are ready to contend. That's why sometimes we need to be critical and analyze the weaknesses so that we can turn them into strengths. I'm confident that Marshall and Dansby at least will contribute significantly this season, not sold on Incognito yet.

Absolutely true. Even with these misses they have done a better job than previous FO's in recent history. But comparing to those times will not gauge whether the Dolphins are ready to contend. That's why sometimes we need to be critical and analyze the weaknesses so that we can turn them into strengths. I'm confident that Marshall and Dansby at least will contribute significantly this season, not sold on Incognito yet.

Why do you need to "gauge whether the Dolphins are ready to contend?"

Can't you just watch what will happen when the season starts? If your "gauge" or my "gauge" shows that they are not ready to contend how does this affect anything? Will they pick up other free agents if you deem that the ones they got may not perform well?

And the "we need to be critical and analyze the weaknesses so that we can turn them into strengths" comment makes absolutely no sense to me.

Remember you only wrote an article about the Phins. You being critical has absolutely no bearing on whether THEY turn weaknesses into strengths, unless of course, you are actually Parcells, Ireland or Sporano.

Take a step back and remember that you are only a fan.

IMO it's important to remember that this team was so bare on talent they replaced 27 players on the roster in 2008. In order to do that in the salary cap era, they signed mid tier FAs most of which were special teamers. In 2009 they were able to sign fewer FAs but still only went after mid tier. This past offseason the Dolphins are sitting with a very young team stocked mostly through the draft and were able to add missing pieces.

Next offseason FA period and draft they should be at a point that they won't have to draft/sign for need in many spots.

Devonne Bess? Dan Carpenter? Wake looks to be a great passrusher. Justin Smiley, while injury prone, has been a great guard for us. Jake Grove is a top 3 center in the NFL. Fasano had a great 1st season, bad 2nd season, but is still one of the best blocking TE's in the league. Polite is the best FB in the NFL imo. Randy Starks is a top three 3-4 DE in the NFL, who I think is going to be an even better NT. Pennington is a great backup and leader, and a great guy for Henne to learn from. He also lead us to a division title. And of course there's Jason Ferguson who has been a very good stop gap for us. I think it's safe to say we've been a lot better in FA and in trades than you give us credit for.

Why do you need to "gauge whether the Dolphins are ready to contend?"

Can't you just watch what will happen when the season starts? If your "gauge" or my "gauge" shows that they are not ready to contend how does this affect anything? Will they pick up other free agents if you deem that the ones they got may not perform well?

And the "we need to be critical and analyze the weaknesses so that we can turn them into strengths" comment makes absolutely no sense to me.

Remember you only wrote an article about the Phins. You being critical has absolutely no bearing on whether THEY turn weaknesses into strengths, unless of course, you are actually Parcells, Ireland or Sporano.

Take a step back and remember that you are only a fan.

Yes we are just a fan, there is sth we can not manage

Back
Top Bottom