Busy afternoon for the Miami Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Busy afternoon for the Miami Dolphins

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
he Dolphins added inside linebacker Micah Johnson this afternoon to replace the need created by the season-ending right knee injury to A.J. Edds.

Undrafted out of Kentucky, Johnson was with the Giants this spring when they went through their OTA work. He was waived June 21. Unlike Edds, who is considered a fine coverage linebacker, Johnson is a run-plugger who, frankly, isn't very fast.

Johnson posted times of 4.92 and 4.84 in the 40-yard dash during his pro day at Kentucky, according to reports. I didn't notice that speed (or lack of it) being noticeable during practice because it's hard to tell what is Johnson being slow and what is him being deliberate as he learns a new system.

On other fronts:

Running back Ronnie Brown talked to the media in two different interview sessions after practice. He is the most at-ease man with the media on the team. He doesn't dodge questions. He's just great that way.

He's also pretty good on the field, which is one reason Brown admitted the topic of Miami having twin 1,000-yard rusher has come up in conversations between he and Ricky Williams.

"We were talking about it yesterday," Brown said.

Brown says one reason for such optimism is that injuries that have plagued him -- a blown out knee in 2007 and a fractured foot last year -- are not concerns right right. He said the knee "feels great," and the foot is "a non-issue" that he doesn't even apply extra tape to.

"These last few years, I've had a couple of injuries I've had to deal with," Brown said. "Hopefully that's behind me. The good part is coming into this training camp I actually feel a little bit better than I have the last two or three years. I'm in a little bit better shape and hope I can continue to build on that and see what happens."

My focus during practice today was on the one-on-one pass rush/pass protection drills. So let me tell you what happened, but before I get to that, I should alert you that Nolan Carroll is coming.

He had a pick-six interception of Chad Pennington, his second such play in recent days. It just seems like this kid can move and jump a route with surprising quickness.

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/#ixzz0va3MNWBo

im very happy about carrol. and im just happy it was edds instead of dansby or marshall

My focus during practice today was on the one-on-one pass rush/pass protection drills. So let me tell you what happened, but before I get to that, I should alert you that Nolan Carroll is coming.

my brother feels he's a darkhorse we need to keep an eye on

my brother feels he's a darkhorse we need to keep an eye on

Was a dark horse, the kid is drawing attention from coaches, players and reporters everywhere. He is also now moved into dime packages, when the defense goes up against 4 WR sets. That tells me he has surpass Jason Allen. I hope he continues this hot streak. So far in camp 3 INTs, two of those INTs have been pick six

Was a dark horse, the kid is drawing attention from coaches, players and reporters everywhere. He is also now moved into dime packages, when the defense goes up against 4 WR sets. That tells me he has surpass Jason Allen. I hope he continues this hot streak. So far in camp 3 INTs, two of those INTs have been pick six
i hope he continues it myself...the more playmakers we have on defense the better we're gonna be...whether they're from a rookie,or 3rd,4th,5th year vet...

Carroll is my dark horse as well. Let's see what happens when he has to make a tackle in the pre season games. Crossing my fingers that he develops.

I think a bigger dark horse is Ryan Baker & Ikaika Alama Francis, Carroll already has a role on this team.

carroll is by far the huge surprise to me. i'm a defensive guy and i didn't even know who he was when the dolphins drafted him. and for good reason - he was a corner with no picks in college. hopes aren't up just yet but its quite possible we stole this guy.

I think a bigger dark horse is Ryan Baker & Ikaika Alama Francis, Carroll already has a role on this team.
you think he'll be able to play the strongside from what you've seen or read...oh and FinAtic,thanx for the info you've been posting...it's been awhile since i was last on here,but i finally got back on and the vast majority of the info i've read has come from you,so ty...:up:

If Carroll can continue to be a playmaker when the lights go on that's going to be a big boon for Ireland.
To get a late round playmaking CB to add to Davis/Smith going forward in this pass happy NFL...makes me shake a leg!!

I insist the optimism on Carroll be placed on hold until you see him in games. Live bullets firing is a problem for him.

Easy Tiger! Plenty of players are practice all stars and disappear on game day. Saying he has s role before the first preseason game is a stretch at best

We need to wait, training camp is young. Carroll is putting up stats against third teamers and lower. I am very happy with the news on Carroll, but I don't see him as a dark horse either. He was a fifth round draft pick, and in my book, he is expected to make the team and contribute in one aspect or another. But his progression so far has been eye opening, the staff even has enough confindence to move on without Evan Oglesby and now he is even stealing snaps away from Jason Allen. This is great news all around for our secondary.

My dark horse still remains to be Jonathan Amaya, someone who was undrafted and not expected to make the team.

Johnson posted times of 4.92 and 4.84 in the 40-yard dash during his pro day at Kentucky, according to reports. I didn't notice that speed (or lack of it) being noticeable during practice because it's hard to tell what is Johnson being slow and what is him being deliberate as he learns a new system.
not saying he isnt slow but people tend to forget game speed and 40 speed are two different things

Back
Top Bottom