Butch Davis? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Butch Davis?

JHop31

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Since it seems likely you guys will be hiring Nick Saban away from us I was just wondering what y'all thought of his possible replacement Butch Davis. I figured many of y'all would be familiar with him from his Miami days.

JHop31 said:
Since it seems likely you guys will be hiring Nick Saban away from us I was just wondering what y'all thought of his possible replacement Butch Davis. I figured many of y'all would be familiar with him from his Miami days.

Terrific college coach; guided UM through some dark days during the sanctions and brought us out of it still a national power.

Top-notch recruiter, great with the players, if a bit disingenuous; practically moments after declaring he was returning the following season, he bolted for the Browns. He could have been more forthcoming about it.

To tell you the truth, I was never a big fan of his. He is an excellent recruiter and that was what turned around the program. I always thoght he was a little too conservative though. Still, he is a good college coach and will probably bring in some nice recruiting classes.

I think he would have been a better pro coach had he gone into a better situation than Cleveland. That is why Nick Saban has been choosey about his NFL opportunities. He humored his friend Jerry Angelo with the Bears job, but I don't think he ever seriously considered that job. It's tough to win in Chicago with the McCaskey's and Ted Phillips running things.

Nick isn't going to take a job where it would be difficult for him to succeed. I believe Miami is his ideal job though, because he could have this team in the playoffs next season with the defense that is already in place.

JHop31 said:

He's a GOOD college HC. He'll do you guys proud. He rebuilt the U so he should do well with an already good situation at LSU.

Davis said he wasnt going to coach next year, maybe LSU, or someone else can get him to change his mind but after the horrible season he just went through I imagine the guy needs a break

Back
Top Bottom