Buyer beware: The case of O.J. Atogwe | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Buyer beware: The case of O.J. Atogwe

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
Let's assume for a minute, however, that Atogwe's days with the Rams are over. If that is the case, the thing that needs to be said is this: Buyer beware.

Atogwe, you see, had a great season in 2008 when he had a team- and NFC-high eight interceptions. But last year was a bad one for him and it ended prematurely in December when Atogwe was placed on injured reserve with a dislocated right shoulder.

The shoulder required reconstructive surgery which is major surgery. Atogwe is still working to recover from the surgery, according to reports. He also reportedly suffered a sports hernia that he is trying to come back from as well.

So how would you feel about paying top-dollar for a player coming back from two significant injuries, particularly when one is a shoulder injury?

Obviously any Dolphins' interest will have to be tempered by how confident they are Atogwe can be 100 percent -- and not just short-term, but over the long-term.

But do you remember the last time the Dolphins signed a player with shoulder troubles? Justin Smiley was signed to a big long-term contact in 2008 and after only two seasons is on the outs because his shoulder is not well enough for him to stay on the field over a 16-game season.

Do the Dolphins make the same leap with Atogwe in hopes of solving their long-term free safety issues? Will the Rams, who have reportedly scheduled talks with Atogwe in the coming weeks, even allow that to happen?

It is obviously not a certainty.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...ee-safety-oshiomogho-oj-at.html#ixzz0ngkSQbsX

I really want this guy in a Fin Uniform, but I have been saying for weeks he has red flags all over him. I told you guys my source had informed me of a shoulder injury among other OJ had, now Armando post the same thing. Things are gonna get real interesting once and if OJ hits free agency.

It all depends on how the doctors feel about him. If they are confident he can return to full strength after those two injuries, then I am willing to sign him as long as the price is reasonable. Those injuries certainly affect his value though.

If i was the dolphins i would offer him a one year deal and tell him if he performs and stays healthy then we would sign him to a long term deal then if he doesnt take a deal like that then i say just let him walk without a contract

Yes, all 31 other teams BEWARE!

We will take him, 4 years/$26 million.
This is slightly under Nick Collins 4 year/$26.75 million deal with GB.

Dolphan98, you mean the same doctors that signed off on the Justin Smiley shoulder. I'm not sure if the fins still have the same doctors that said Drew Brees's shoulder is worrisome. Too risky for the fins IMO

Dolphan98, you mean the same doctors that signed off on the Justin Smiley shoulder. I'm not sure if the fins still have the same doctors that said Drew Brees's shoulder is worrisome. Too risky for the fins IMO

Justin Smileys Shoulder was fine after the surgey when we signed him its the ones following that injury there is also a big diffrence in the players one is a OG and the other is a FS the OG is going to be taking a lot more abuse then a FS

Yes, all 31 other teams BEWARE!

We will take him, 4 years/$26 million.
This is slightly under Nick Collins 4 year/$26.75 million deal with GB.
Giving a guy that type of money coming off 2 major injurys is pretty risky

We rejected Drew Brees because of shoulder injury. Big mistake.

If Atogwe is available to us, and he passes the relevant physical tests, then we should take him.

Unfortunately the doctors are the only ones who can assess the degree of risk the Dolphins are taking by signing Otogwe. You pretty much have to rely on their assessment because Ireland and Parcells have no medical experience. Hopefully they will do their job competently.

Giving a guy that type of money coming off 2 major injurys is pretty risky

Its a huge risk, but some team will offer him a decent enough contract. If the Fins want his services bad enough, then they will have to give him a decent contract. I dunno about four years, but I dont see us getting him on a one-year deal, even if you give him the incentive that if he plays well he will get a bigger contract. Some team is bound to offer him a 2/3 year deal.

We rejected Drew Brees because of shoulder injury. Big mistake.

If Atogwe is available to us, and he passes the relevant physical tests, then we should take him.

That is exactly what I was thinking. The last time we passed on a guy coming back from a shoulder injury was Brees. How did that work out?

Obviously he would have to be thoroughly examined by team physicians prior to any contract. Let the team Dr.'s do their job. That's why they get paid.

If he will pass the physical exam it doesn't mean it's not risky. Anytime their is a trauma it causes the body to weaken, especially with reconstruction of a joint. It will depend mostly on how much the fins want OJ. Smiley and Pennington both have histories of shoulder problem yet the fins signed them because they were a need. If the fins were to get a bargain for OJ then it's an opportunity the fins should jump on quickly. If the money is right then reward wins over risk.

Back
Top Bottom