Can Miami Be Onto Something???

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dnr3131, Dec 5, 2017 at 12:30 PM.

1. dnr3131

dnr3131 Well-Known Member

Is Drake for real? Can Drake become our feature back in '18? Can Darke, who has had injury concerns coming out of college stay healthy through a entire season? Can Drake handle 200+ carries in '18. (boy, I do like his explosiveness, nice when Drake gets into the open and you know they aren't going to catch him)!

Is there a starting spot for Stephone Anthony in the LBer unit in "18? After all, he is our best cover LBer by far already. Does that relegate Kiko (really struggled this season, imo) to a back-up role. Anthony's best position is the "Will" LBer. Can't imagine Kiko being kicked inside next season, as that spot should be occupied by McMillan. Not to mention the Chase Allen, where does he fit in, because he has really played well for a rookie. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone one of them are "Sam" LBer material. Possible trade one of them, and not McMillan or Allen. Maybe Anthony can play "Sam", how nice would that be?

Is Jesse Davis our Right tackle in '18. If so, Miami can save 9.3 million for next season (nice chunk of change for a stud guard and or center). Davis is plenty big enough. Hope that Bushrod plays the remaining 4 games to allow Davis to play RT and give Miami a better evaluation to end the season.

Cameron Malveaux? Who is he, can he remain? He did get 1 less snap than Wake and held his own vs the Broncos in his first NFL appearance. He did have a relative decent career at Houston. He has the size for sure.

Should these scenarios be the case, we could check off RB, RT, Weak Side LBer (not that "Will" was a position of need, but an upgrade is always nice).

These next 4 games could provide not only some insight for the '18 season, but possibly even a glimmer of hope.

2. traptses

traptses Starter

I have hope for Drake. I’m still 50-50 on Davis and Anthony

Ray R likes this.
  3. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

I think Miami will find another back to compliment Drake..

Anthony will be either the starting WLB or SLB..Depending on Kiko and Timmons, with a hopefully healthy McMillian manning the MLB

4. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

Drake is a compliment to the feature back, until he can prove heathy enough.

Aside from the Chef, all of the LB positions should be considered open.

5. Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come Well-Known Member

I love Kenyon Drake, but only a fool would think he could be a bell cow. He needs to improve his blocking and receiving skills and be apart of a tandem or committee.

Dolphins need four good RB's if they are going to be a running team. If Tannehill is QB next year the only way the Dolphins can be successful is to have a great run game. That means acquiring a ridiculous amount of talent at the TE and OL positions. Not easy, perhaps not even possible.

You have to at least do one aspect of the game really well to even have a winning record in the NFL, let alone playoffs.

A better solution is to draft a QB who has Russell Wilson's scrambling and Houdini ability as well as Drew Brees accuracy. Then, all you need is a Royce Freeman and a Jamaal Morrow and your set at RB.

BSQ and dolfan91 like this.
  6. Aquablood

Aquablood Well-Known Member

The guy has one good game against the worst team. Hold your horses. Need to see more.

kcbrown and Agua like this.
  7. Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come Well-Known Member

Anthony's best year was as an ILB in a base 3-4. That could happen next year in Miami if the right GM is hired. Uh Umm ....Eliot Wolf.

Coming from the Packers, Wolf may hire coaches that have experience in base 3-4 schemes.

8. Ren

Ren Rookie

Lol, some people will turn any thread into an opportunity to take a shot at Tannehill.

Dakar001 and FinaticalFinfan like this.
  9. daryl

daryl Well-Known Member

Belichick will make sure Drake is a non-factor on Monday. If Drake can produce despite being shadowed all game, then I’ll get more excited. Right now, Cutler will once again have (try) to exploit one on one matchups downfield for the offense to work.

10. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Drake will make a great #2 and Gase already said that he doesn't really like any one back carrying the whole load. Davis will be a starter at either guard or tackle in 2018 imo
    Anthony could be a starter too. It'd be great if those 3 guys can be better next year but even better would be if Harris can play like a first rounder in 2018

Ozzy rules!!

11. FSU Truth

FSU Truth The North Remembers Finheaven VIP

Drake has always had the talent...the one thing he is doing that Ajayi failed to do is listen to what the coach wants him to do. He also has excellent hands and is a guy you want on your roster. I suspect that the team will be adding another back to the room if not two. Gase has said he likes the RB by committee so I would not expect a back early, but Penny out of SDSU seems like a nice fit as well as LJ Scott.

The LBs should change as well and I like the idea of the younger players getting more reps. Getting McMillian back to compete and having the young guys in Allen and Anthony at least gives the unit some athleticism although they are limited in other areas. I would not be surprised to see us draft another OLB early.

The O-line has some good developmental players in Davis and Brendal...both will be in camp fighting for a starting job.

Ray R likes this.
  12. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

We need a lot this off-season:

• RB's: Draft one and pick-up a free agent. Running back by committee
    • TE's: Keep Fasano for run-blockin, release Julius Thomas. Keep Gray. Draft or pick-up a free agent.
    • Offensive Line: Keep Davis. Get rid of Bushrod and Pouncey (injury hip is a ticking time bomb). Need 2 Guards, center, and swing tackle.
    • Receivers: What to do with Parker and Caroo? What about Jarvis Landry?
    • Defensive Line: All set. Need to restructure Suh. Still too expensive, but could help the team acquire talent elsewhere. Release Branch or restructure his contract.
    • LB's: Having McMillan return will be huge. Send Timmons back to Pittsburgh. Draft another young stud (top 3 picks). Ask to restructure Kiko Alonso since he might be delegated to backup.
    • CB/Safety: We've got 4 young CB's. Each should get better. Safety; draft or free agency to compliment our current guys.
    • QB: Tannehill or bust. Draft a QB in 2nd or 3rd. Will be the backup. Release Moore and his salary, spend elsewhere.
    Find a signal caller on Offense. Bring in competition for Hauck.

13. CammyCamCam

CammyCamCam QB Coach

I pray to God that we get Rashaad Penny. MWC Offensive POY, and 3 time MWC Special Teams POY... kid is a stud!

Awsi Dooger and dolfan91 like this.
  14. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

We need to draft a RB in the second or third round to go along with Drake. Doesn't necessarily need to be a huge short yardage tailback. Someone like Sony Michel would be great. Explosive, yet a tough physical runner. Keeps the defense honest regardless of who is on the field.

I like Anthony too. We haven't had a LB with his cover skills in quite some time. I'm hoping for Anthony, McMillan, and Timmons/Rookie starting at LB next season. Bury Kiko on the depth chart until his contract is cuttable.

gerblack and JakeemThe Dream like this.
  15. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

I would said that the D-line is set. Branch is just average. Wake is getting older and slowing down and Harris has ONE sack and 13 tackles all year so drafting a DE is imo a high priority and you shouldn't be surprised if we draft one in the first round again

Ozzy rules!!

miamiron likes this.
  16. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Something to think about, Gase as we all know was looking at RB’s at draft time as well as in F/A. The rumors were that Elliott was their top target 2 years ago, until Dallas drafted him ahead of Miami. After the Ajayi debacle and subsequent trade, you can bet he’ll be looking for another one or perhaps even 2, since Williams is a F/A again after this season. One guy not many talk about, is the kid from Oregon, Royce Freeman. He seems like an Adam Gase type back. I believe Miami’s RT will either be Jesse Davis or Eric Smith come 2018. With the loser moved to RG. As for Anthony, it sure does seem like they are grooming him for a much bigger role. He’s done ok in his extended time on the field. He’s good with things in front of him and covers ground sideline to sideline, good enough for base. It’s his coverage skills, which aren’t great, that get him in trouble. Another name to watch is Malik Jefferson, especially at Miami’s current draft slot. Jefferson is apparently the best coverage OLB in the upcoming draft. But with him it is worrisome that he still has a tendency to over pursue and miss making plays. But make no mistake Jefferson is everything Miami needs at LB. I’ve been very intrigued by Malveaux since training camp. If he can continue to produce quality play like he did this past Sunday, Miami may have found something long term? He certainly has the size and strength to play in the nfl for a long time. I’d try to re-sign both Fede and William Hayes. Fede has finally shown his worth. He’s a stud special teamer with the ability to cover both KO and Punts. And has 2 blocked punts in his short career. But on Sunday, it looked like he finally gets it as he played well, with great effort.

17. hoops

hoops exited stage left

all signs point to Anthony raekwon kiko 2018 starting lbs

anthony being the wild card

the current replace list is matt moore, jay cutler, jermon bushrod, andre branch

branch being the likely return eye sore due to contract

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017 at 2:29 PM
    dolfan91 likes this.
  18. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Branch is here for at least one more year. His contract is very cuttable after 2018 ends.

miamiron likes this.
  19. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Charles harris better step up next year too...that curve may speed up on him in 2018

that lack of top speed shows up a lot in pursuit and it's not good...looks good in a 10 yard box quickness and speed wise looks slow at the 2nd level in pursuit...awareness better be his offset

Jerrysanders and dolfan91 like this.
  20. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Penny and Freeman are 2 backs I think fit Gase like a glove.

21. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

San Diego State hosting Stanford was easily my favorite game of the college football season. Penny and Love on the same field, and both of them having great games. Plus it was basic set offenses on both sides, and not the spread garbage that lessens college football.

I'm surprised Penny is so far down on some running back lists.

22. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

I remember Bill Polian talking about Harris before the draft and he said "normally those guys that run a 4.8 don't turn out well at the next level"....at least it was something close to that and I'm seeing some of that. Several times this year when he's close but doesn't get there on time so maybe Polian was on to something. It'd be a big setback if Harris can't turn into a top player for us. I'm hoping he'll develop but right now I'm not holding my breath

Ozzy rules!!

miamiron and dolfan91 like this.
  23. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

Since we are talking about '18, I really hope Asiata improves himself to come in here and win a starting job.

24. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

If I remember correctly, Gill Brandt said something along the lines of, “A DE needs to run a 4.7 or better, to be a legitimate DE candidate.” Harris if I’m not mistaken ran just above a 4.7? He was talking about the possibility of Dallas drafting a DE in 2017 and debated the prospects who could interest Dallas. So there is something to what Polian said.

Danny likes this.
  25. Birdmond

Birdmond FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

WTF are we talking about DE’s? I’m completely sold on Drake but not as a featured back and I don’t want a featured back. Now get a power back that can catch and I’ll be a happy camper. I’m thinking a Keith Byars type.

26. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

He ran a 4.82 at the combine and didn't run(red flag) the 40 at his pro day

27. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

All this production from Drake, yet he barely sniffed the field when Ajayi was here.

28. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

40 times are completely useless when talking DEs. how often does a DE run more then 10 yards honestly? plus J.J. Watt ran a 4.84 so.... look at vertical and 3 cone drills. those are the key drills

29. gerblack

gerblack That Guy Finheaven VIP Donator

For LB I like Roquan Smith a lot better his instincts are phenomenal he can do it all.

30. royalshank

royalshank Practice Squad All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

Harris needs to develop and quickly.

Danny likes this.
  31. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

But is all related. Yes, DE's don't have to normally run 40 yards or even 10 yards most of the time but speed does make a big difference. Like I said before, we's been close several times this year but yet he's only got one sack. Maybe if he was faster he'd get there and I think that's what the experts were talking about. Speed is not everything but it does help

Ozzy rules!!