Can the Dolphins' Texas A&M connection ride off into the sunset? Three former Aggies | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can the Dolphins' Texas A&M connection ride off into the sunset? Three former Aggies

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
[h=2]Three former Aggies coaches, and two players now a large part of Miami's offense[/h]
None of them likely envisioned the
Texas
A&M reunion roundup so soon.
Forgive Sun Life Stadium if a sudden hint of maroon blends in the stands this fall with some voices calling for the 12th Man.

"I was a little bit upset I didn't get picked up in the draft," said former Aggies wide receiver Jeff Fuller, "but I feel like God has a plan for everybody."

The circumstances that brought five former Aggies here reeks of a table being delicately dressed for a main course of Crow tartar.

It began with Mike Sherman, now the Dolphins' offensive coordinator. Texas A&M fired him in December after four seasons despite a relationship with thick roots that touched parts of four decades with just as many coaching stints in College Station, Texas.

Soon after Joe Philbin was hired to be the Dolphins' head coach in January, he hired Sherman — a man he has known since 1979 and worked with at Tulane, and then the
Green Bay Packers
before joining forces in Miami.
Philbin also hired former Aggies assistant quarterbacks coach Zac Taylor, Sherman's son-in-law, now the Dolphins' quarterbacks coach. Philbin also hired Jim Turner to coach the offensive line.

Sherman's influence was instant. He offered input to Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland to help Miami with its pursuit of drafting a franchise quarterback. After failed attempts to lure free agents such as Peyton Manning , the Dolphins selected former Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill with the eighth pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.

"I think initially [Sherman] didn't want to influence other peoples' opinions of Ryan Tannehill," Philbin said. "Obviously he had intimate knowledge, being around him for four years. But he obviously believes in him."

Now the Dolphins' offense had a Texas A&M feel from its new West Coast flavor to Sherman, Tannehill & Co.

Then came one final piece, signing Fuller to an undrafted free agent deal.

On the surface, the five former Aggies appear to fit nicely, helping one another to a smooth transition from the Big 12 to the AFC East. The players have said their comfort with the playbook has helped them accomplish their tasks without investing too much thought in each route.

"It's definitely a different level," Tannehill said. "It's the NFL for a reason. Guys are a step faster in every aspect. I think knowing the offense and having a background definitely helps me not focus on that as much and get adjusted to the speed of the game."

Tannehill is expected to develop into the starting quarterback with no timetable offered.

Fuller had once been projected to be a first-round draft pick after his junior season, thanks to career highs in catches (72), yards (1,066) and touchdowns (12).

That production dipped his senior season with just 806 yards receiving and six touchdowns. Fuller finished his collegiate career with back-to-back 100-yard games, the fifth and sixth of his career.

At 6-foot-4, 215 pounds, Fuller appears sculpted to be an NFL receiver. But what has been described as a severe hamstring injury prior to the season, followed by a concussion and a toe injury, limited his impact in 2011, and led to his freefall as an NFL prospect.

"I don't like to make excuses," Fuller said. "I didn't handle my injuries as well as I should have."

Tannehill has his critics after just 19 collegiate starts as a quarterback. He was first used as a receiver even playing ahead of Fuller for two games.

Together the ex-Aggies have a chance to use their relationships not only to help the Dolphins return to prominence, but also to give them a fresh foundation in the NFL.

"Coach Sherman talks about how we came in together, and we left together," Fuller said. "As far as Ryan, he's been a receiver with me and he has been my quarterback. I've had a close relationship with him all the way through college.

"We have great relationships."

Three former Aggies coaches, and two players now a large part of Miami's offense

None of them likely envisioned the
Texas
A&M reunion roundup so soon.
Forgive Sun Life Stadium if a sudden hint of maroon blends in the stands this fall with some voices calling for the 12th Man.

"I was a little bit upset I didn't get picked up in the draft," said former Aggies wide receiver Jeff Fuller, "but I feel like God has a plan for everybody."

The circumstances that brought five former Aggies here reeks of a table being delicately dressed for a main course of Crow tartar.

It began with Mike Sherman, now the Dolphins' offensive coordinator. Texas A&M fired him in December after four seasons despite a relationship with thick roots that touched parts of four decades with just as many coaching stints in College Station, Texas.

Soon after Joe Philbin was hired to be the Dolphins' head coach in January, he hired Sherman — a man he has known since 1979 and worked with at Tulane, and then the
Green Bay Packers
before joining forces in Miami.
Philbin also hired former Aggies assistant quarterbacks coach Zac Taylor, Sherman's son-in-law, now the Dolphins' quarterbacks coach. Philbin also hired Jim Turner to coach the offensive line.

Sherman's influence was instant. He offered input to Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland to help Miami with its pursuit of drafting a franchise quarterback. After failed attempts to lure free agents such as Peyton Manning , the Dolphins selected former Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill with the eighth pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.

"I think initially [Sherman] didn't want to influence other peoples' opinions of Ryan Tannehill," Philbin said. "Obviously he had intimate knowledge, being around him for four years. But he obviously believes in him."

Now the Dolphins' offense had a Texas A&M feel from its new West Coast flavor to Sherman, Tannehill & Co.

Then came one final piece, signing Fuller to an undrafted free agent deal.

On the surface, the five former Aggies appear to fit nicely, helping one another to a smooth transition from the Big 12 to the AFC East. The players have said their comfort with the playbook has helped them accomplish their tasks without investing too much thought in each route.

"It's definitely a different level," Tannehill said. "It's the NFL for a reason. Guys are a step faster in every aspect. I think knowing the offense and having a background definitely helps me not focus on that as much and get adjusted to the speed of the game."

Tannehill is expected to develop into the starting quarterback with no timetable offered.

Fuller had once been projected to be a first-round draft pick after his junior season, thanks to career highs in catches (72), yards (1,066) and touchdowns (12).

That production dipped his senior season with just 806 yards receiving and six touchdowns. Fuller finished his collegiate career with back-to-back 100-yard games, the fifth and sixth of his career.

At 6-foot-4, 215 pounds, Fuller appears sculpted to be an NFL receiver. But what has been described as a severe hamstring injury prior to the season, followed by a concussion and a toe injury, limited his impact in 2011, and led to his freefall as an NFL prospect.

"I don't like to make excuses," Fuller said. "I didn't handle my injuries as well as I should have."

Tannehill has his critics after just 19 collegiate starts as a quarterback. He was first used as a receiver even playing ahead of Fuller for two games.

Together the ex-Aggies have a chance to use their relationships not only to help the Dolphins return to prominence, but also to give them a fresh foundation in the NFL.

"Coach Sherman talks about how we came in together, and we left together," Fuller said. "As far as Ryan, he's been a receiver with me and he has been my quarterback. I've had a close relationship with him all the way through college.

"We have great relationships."
Its not going to shock me if Fuller ends up being a big part of all this before it is said and done.

Back
Top Bottom