Can we trade O-gun? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can we trade O-gun?

phinfan2003

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
I feel that if the dolphins want to upgrade at WR or RB, it's going to have to be via the trade of O-Gun. Circumstances have put us in this position and he's our biggest bargaining chip. There is nothing out there on the street and I definitely don't want to give up another draft pick for a player. I wanted someone to give O-Gun a contract in the off-season so that we could get a 1st and a 3rd. I'm not saying that I didn't want him on the team. I just felt that with all of the money invested in our defense, if we signed him to a long-term deal we would not be able to sign other good players (Chambers) and we'd probably have to cut others. This was one of those business decisions that are hard to make but necessary. Would we have enough room under the salary cap to trade O-Gun for a good WR, RB, or both? Would we have to do like a sign-and-trade since he's not under contract?

I believe that the best option that the FO has right now is to try to sign O-Gun to a long term deal. With the way the offense is dropping like flies, this team is going to have to ride the defense in a big way this season. Might as well keep as much depth and quality as possible there.

I don't disagree with you. But due to the fact that our offense is hurting right now as well as O-Gun's asking price, it might be a move that would benefit us more. If we sign O-Gun, we're going to have to cut many players on D. Plus, I think with D-Bow and Grigsby, we should be ok on the line. Obviously, not as good as Taylor and Wale but I think I'll take Taylor and D-Bow/Grigsby if we can help out our offense of Minor, Chambers, and Thompson with a trade.

phinfan2003 said:
Would we have enough room under the salary cap to trade O-Gun for a good WR, RB, or both? Would we have to do like a sign-and-trade since he's not under contract?

Ogunleye is in the drivers seat for any trade. First any team that wants him has to have the cap room to sign him. He would have to want to go to that team as he has to sign a contract with the Dolphins before he can be traded.

Just like the A.J. Feeley trade, Wale would first negotiate a contract with the club that was interested in trading and then he would sign the Dolphins required tender, be traded and then sign the new contract with the new team. This type trade is what is called a sign and trade. There would be no cap charge for Wale because he would sign a contract with no signing bonus.

The Dolphins having enough cap room for the desired player or players in trade is another question. We would need to know the salaries or whether they would renegotiate.

Don't forget the salary cap is still charged for the players put on injured reserve. That's Boston and Akins. My cap chart with Boston but not Akins on I.R. is at $6 million under the cap. It will be up soon. I am waiting for Chambers' actual base salaries to make sure this year's salary did not change.

We Need O-gun More Then Ever!!

Rick S. Should Sign Him Asap..

The Fish Need Some Good News For A Change

Lets not panic and go crazy trading away players and picks just yet. We should sit on o-gun he will play this year and IF he can play the same way as last year then we can talk $ with him but to be a superstar player demanding that kind of $ then he would prove himself every year not just one. he plays the same way..well then we re-sign him or he that much more valuable as trade bait next year. its too late right now for a number of options that possibly will be available next season. just give it some time see how rb's and wr's play in preseason. what ever happens happens just take it head on ....don't run from it

O-Gun will not sign the 1 yr. tender. That is why he's holding out. He wants Kearse/Wistrom money.

Back
Top Bottom