"Can't Miss" Prospects | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Can't Miss" Prospects

flintsilver7

Sack Monster
Reaction score
How many of this year's "can't miss" prospects will ultimately end up being useless? Vernon Davis didn't light it up that much for Maryland - he was ranked 45th in receiving (second among tight ends) with the fewest catches per game of the tight ends in the Top 100 in receiving. He's recently started to get a ton of hype. Mario Williams is considered the best defensive end prospect since Julius Peppers, but he doesn't have the stats to back it up.

I just see this every year and it irritates me to no end.

Did you watch any of Maryland's games? Pretty scary

SpeedRush99 said:
Did you watch any of Maryland's games? Pretty scary
Yes, Maryland is local. And no, I wasn't that impressed. I mean, he's good, but calling him the next Shannon Sharpe is ridiculous.

flintsilver7 said:
How many of this year's "can't miss" prospects will ultimately end up being useless? Vernon Davis didn't light it up that much for Maryland - he was ranked 45th in receiving (second among tight ends) with the fewest catches per game of the tight ends in the Top 100 in receiving. He's recently started to get a ton of hype. Mario Williams is considered the best defensive end prospect since Julius Peppers, but he doesn't have the stats to back it up.

I just see this every year and it irritates me to no end.

I agree there are alot of guys who we all think will be good, But they will fail in the NFL. I know what you mean about guys who don't have all the stats to be huge and are. I look at Kellen Winslow when he came out. He one the Best TE award and his stats were really horrible. I don't see why anyone liked him in the first place. I thought he was overrated and was not goin to be, Yes I know he has always been hurt.

flintsilver7 said:
Yes, Maryland is local. And no, I wasn't that impressed.

I never actually whatched Vernon that much however what I did see was pretty good.

flintsilver7 said:
Yes, Maryland is local. And no, I wasn't that impressed.

Thats what I'm saying, pretty hard to put up decent numbers with the QB and line play they had. I think in Davis' case it all depends where he ends up and how they use him. In another thread I suggested he would be great in a Chris Cooley type capacity.

I agree, there are always players that gain hype. Some are great in college and then flop in NFL. I think people are just trying to compare them to someone that is similar, number wise and skills wise. Mario will be goodin the NFL, and I think Vernon will too. we will only know who to compare them too come next season when we see them play the best of the best. Remember, playing against guys in college that arnt going on to the next level isn't the best comparison

LIQUID24 said:
Mario Williams is for real.
How so? I mean, what guarantees are there that Mario Williams is for real, and not the next coming of Marcus Spears, Kenechi Udeze, Erasmus James, Jason Babin, and all the other first-round saviors?

Williams has question marks, just like every one of those players. For every DeMarcus Ware or Shawne Merriman there are three guys that don't become instant stars.

flintsilver7 said:
How so? I mean, what guarantees are there that Mario Williams is for real, and not the next coming of Marcus Spears, Kenechi Udeze, Erasmus James, Jason Babin, and all the other first-round saviors?

Williams has question marks, just like every one of those players. For every DeMarcus Ware or Shawne Merriman there are three guys that don't become instant stars.

I hope your not suggesting those guys are busts already. :confused:

SpeedRush99 said:
I hope your not suggesting those guys are busts already. :confused:

By no means. But they aren't immediate dominating forces. I think Jared Allen has been the most successful of the guys drafted in the last two years (86 tackles, 20 sacks) and he was a fourth rounder. Go back one more year, and you've got Osi Umenyiora in the low 2nd and Robert Mathis in the 5th.

I understand that these guys sometimes take time to develop. Strahan started quite slow, for example. I just hate to see the hype gain such a head of steam - labeling a guy the best defensive prospect since XXXXX and things like that - when the most likely scenario is that he does well but isn't the best thing since sliced bread.

flintsilver7 said:
By no means. But they aren't immediate dominating forces. I think Jared Allen has been the most successful of the guys drafted in the last two years (86 tackles, 20 sacks) and he was a fourth rounder. Go back one more year, and you've got Osi Umenyiora in the low 2nd and Robert Mathis in the 5th.

I understand that these guys sometimes take time to develop. Strahan started quite slow, for example. I just hate to see the hype gain such a head of steam - labeling a guy the best defensive prospect since XXXXX and things like that - when the most likely scenario is that he does well but isn't the best thing since sliced bread.

I see your point. I think alot of it has to do with where they end up, defensive scheme, coaching, etc... But its all really unknown til they step on the NFL field.

SpeedRush99 said:
I see your point. I think alot of it has to do with where they end up, defensive scheme, coaching, etc... But its all really unknown til they step on the NFL field.

I totally agree with that statement

flintsilver7 said:

He's better than all those guys you listed IMO. I think he's absolutely for real based of what I've SEEN. Does that mean he's a guaranteed perennial Pro-Bowler? Of course not. Anything can happen.

But what exactly is the point of this thread... that not every player will be great? That not every player lives up to the hype?

If so, don't you think you're pointing out the obvious? I mean, who really cares if Mario Williams is considered the best DE prospect since Peppers. I happen to agree with it 100%. If you don't, that's fine too.

The whole scouting process, combine/senior bowl/etc., is basically judging potential. Raw skills, instincts, character, habits stuff like that which coaches think they can mold into good/great football players.

Back
Top Bottom