"Can't Miss" Prospects | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Can't Miss" Prospects

SpeedRush99 said:
The whole scouting process, combine/senior bowl/etc., is basically judging potential. Raw skills, instincts, character, habits stuff like that which coaches think they can mold into good/great football players.

kinda what I was trying to get at.

flintsilver7 said:
How many of this year's "can't miss" prospects will ultimately end up being useless? Vernon Davis didn't light it up that much for Maryland - he was ranked 45th in receiving (second among tight ends) with the fewest catches per game of the tight ends in the Top 100 in receiving. He's recently started to get a ton of hype. Mario Williams is considered the best defensive end prospect since Julius Peppers, but he doesn't have the stats to back it up.

I just see this every year and it irritates me to no end.

Mario Williams had 13 sacks and 20+ tackles for loss last year.what kind of stats does he need to "back it up"?

I think everyone should know by now that there's no such thing as a "can't miss" player....they all CAN miss......you never know how good or bad a player will turn out to be....Brees wasn't all that good at first and now we want him so bad....Gallery was supposed to be the next great LT by he hasn't been so far and it goes on and on and it always be like that.

Ozzy rules!!

There are very few "can't miss" prospects in my book. AJ Hawk, Michael Huff, and DeAngelo Williams are at the top of that short list.

chris34au said:
Mario Williams had 13 sacks and 20+ tackles for loss last year.what kind of stats does he need to "back it up"?

Those are good stats for a good prospect. They don't tell me he's the second coming of sliced bread.

ckparrothead said:
Mario Williams is the next Richard Seymour and all the teams know it.
Mario Williams is nothing like Richard Seymour. He's mostly compared to Julius Peppers. Peppers is good, but he's only once been in the top 10 in sacks. Call me crazy, but give me the next Jason Taylor or Michael Strahan before you give me the next Julius Peppers.

This is just the most painful time of the year. Guys go to the combine, do well in a few drills, and all of a sudden their athleticism makes them the best prospect since XXXX, a sure-fire franchise player, blah, blah, blah. Forget the guys who do well in football games. Mario Williams was very good last year, but he really only had one year like that. I have much more faith in him than in a guy like Vernon Davis. Football isn't a track meet. Marvin Harrison wouldn't impress anybody with his athleticism compared to other receivers. Yet he's one of the best in the league. Troy Williamson - boy, he really tore it up, didn't he? There's a guy who suddenly "got better" at the combine.

Back
Top Bottom