Cap question related to Edgerrin James possibly playing for the Phins next year | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cap question related to Edgerrin James possibly playing for the Phins next year

Maggot Brain

Trade Bait
Reaction score
Jason Cole was just on ESPN radio and said that unless the Colts slap the franchise tag on him next year Edgerrin James would love to play football in Miami again as he strongly dislikes living in Indianapolis. My question for the resident capologists is can the Colts afford to pay him next years franchise amount for running backs after breaking the bank this year to retain Peyton Manning's services? Wouldn't that be tying up a ridiculous amount of their salary cap (perhaps 20%-25%) on two players? This doesn't even include Marvin Harrison whom I'm sure commands quite a decent salary as well.

They'll need the franchise tag for Harrison (he's a UFA next year also). Edge is as good as gone next year IMO.

At this point, I would say that the Colts should be able to "tag" him. However, the Colts are a cash poor organization and it will be difficult for them to re-sign both Harrison and James. They are likely to re-sign Harrison and let James go because they really need to invest more in the defense and could find another RB

Yea there is no way they resign James next year after giving Patton all that money! Not with Harrison also a UAF! He is as good as gone! Some reports have said he has mentioned to Friends about wanting to be traded to the Fins once he heard about Ricky leaving! The report also said those thing were never hear out of James mouth to anyone including the Colts and the "friends" didn't want to be named! It will never happen this year but next year is a good possibility that he will be a Fins next year! After surgery and age a just wonder how much he has left!

James is capable of turning in a good game now and then, but he's not the back he was 3-4 years ago.

Well here's the way I see it. If Ricky Williams never dawns a Miami jersey again, Edge will. The question is when will it happen. Now the Colts are obviously going to make a run at the SB this year again and they feel they need Edge to do it. But the facts are that Edge isn't going to play in Indy next year....well I shouldn't say isn't like I'm 100% but I'd be more than willing to say 95%. It's out there that Edge doesn't like it in Indy, it's out there that he wants to play in Miami and it's out there that Miami needs a RB. All the pieces fit together.

If I'm the Colts I trade Edge. (And I'm looking at this as if I weren't a Miami fan) The Colts FO can be all but positive that they will be losing Edge next year. With their Franchise Tag going on Harrison, they just don't have the money to sign both players. So the question becomes, do you keep Edge around and make a run at the SB (going against the likes of N.E., Philly, etc.) or do you make the trade and possibly pick up some defensive help (O-Gun most likely) and maybe a draft pick here or there (because we all know how frugal Miami is with their draft picks. See dictionary definition of scarcasm)

Like I said, either way the Colts are most likely going to lose Edge. Do they want something for him, or to they take their shot at a SB. It may depend on how well the season goes for the first couple of weeks. If the Colts get hit w/a major injury (Manning, Harrison) or they just flat out flop, they may be more willing to trade Edge. We'll just have to see...

If it take O-Gun to get him, im willing to just try and sign him next year. Why give up a young rising talent at a crucial spot in DE?We can always get a RB next year...If its for Madison, maybe.

Agua said:
James is capable of turning in a good game now and then, but he's not the back he was 3-4 years ago.

A year and a half of that was because of how the Colts handled his injury. By the end of last year he was starting to look like his old self.

he will turn 26 on 1st of august, so he will be 27 years old starting next saison, same age as ricky this season and marvin harrison will be 33 by next year, maybe they let harrison go and tag james ?

AggieFin21 said:
Well here's the way I see it. If Ricky Williams never dawns a Miami jersey again, Edge will. The question is when will it happen. Now the Colts are obviously going to make a run at the SB this year again and they feel they need Edge to do it. But the facts are that Edge isn't going to play in Indy next year....well I shouldn't say isn't like I'm 100% but I'd be more than willing to say 95%. It's out there that Edge doesn't like it in Indy, it's out there that he wants to play in Miami and it's out there that Miami needs a RB. All the pieces fit together.

If I'm the Colts I trade Edge. (And I'm looking at this as if I weren't a Miami fan) The Colts FO can be all but positive that they will be losing Edge next year. With their Franchise Tag going on Harrison, they just don't have the money to sign both players. So the question becomes, do you keep Edge around and make a run at the SB (going against the likes of N.E., Philly, etc.) or do you make the trade and possibly pick up some defensive help (O-Gun most likely) and maybe a draft pick here or there (because we all know how frugal Miami is with their draft picks. See dictionary definition of scarcasm)

Like I said, either way the Colts are most likely going to lose Edge. Do they want something for him, or to they take their shot at a SB. It may depend on how well the season goes for the first couple of weeks. If the Colts get hit w/a major injury (Manning, Harrison) or they just flat out flop, they may be more willing to trade Edge. We'll just have to see...

I like your thinking. As I recall dont the colts have some reasoable depth at that position? Another argument would be parallel to the Ricky issue. Do you want a guy in the locker room who does not want to be there? How mush detriment could he cause? How hard will he play??

James is not the same back he used to be. Next year, I doubt the Colts try to retain him with him wanting to be in Miami and because of other prorities. He would not be bad as a second or third target next offseason. Plus, he would probably come cheap because of his love of the Miami area.

AggieFin21 said:

Dude that is NO way that Indy will trade James! Specially to a AFC team! Why would they give an other team a chance to beat them in there run for the SB! The only way he will come to Miami is through FA! James is still a good back and would be a good fit here! He has better hands than Ricky does and could help out more on play action and passes in the flats! Get rid of one guys with Dreadlocks and get another one! NICE! To bad we are going to have to wait a year to get him! Oh well!

I think he will be here next year if he wants to that badly. They will have to franchise Marvin Harrison and won't have the $$$ to resign him. He also played 12 games last year and had 1,200 yds and 11 td's. He is starting to get his burst back and runs exremely hard. I seem to remember last year him actually knocking over Zach at the 1 on his way in the end zone...was pissed but he runs real hard all the time a football player no doubt. As long as we don't sign another serious RB this year it should get done.

Agua said:

i would wait til this year to see if that is true or not, but the guy i think we could have better luck is Travis Henry in more ways than one. but none of these two will be here if we end up with Davenport or Larry Johnson cus they seem to be looking at younger guys who have no injury history who are on the rise. Henry certainly fits that mold but timing is everything and the timing is more on the side of guys who are more tradeable this year.

Back
Top Bottom