Carey to start? If so where? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Carey to start? If so where?

Bowl_Bound

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I understand that most consider this kid to be a stud. Typically O line is a position where a rookie can come in and compete for a starting spot, unlike qb for example. Carey played RG at Miami but we drafted him as a RT. My question is do you think he will move to RG once McIntosh gets healthy? That might make for an imposing line if it were
Smith-James-McKinney-Carey-McIntosh :eek:
Thoughts??

dreadlockera said:
I understand that most consider this kid to be a stud. Typically O line is a position where a rookie can come in and compete for a starting spot, unlike qb for example. Carey played RG at Miami but we drafted him as a RT. My question is do you think he will move to RG once McIntosh gets healthy? That might make for an imposing line if it were
Thoughts??
I've been saying it all along. This year our line might suck again but next year we might have one of the better O lines in the NFL.:D

DoLpHiNz34 said:
I've been saying it all along. This year our line might suck again but next year we might have one of the better O lines in the NFL.:D

Granted it is an unknown. They may be young, atletic, strong and dominant. They may be young, sort of athletic and lost. My question is where will carey start once Mcintosh comes back?

dreadlockera said:
Granted it is an unknown. They may be young, atletic, strong and dominant. They may be young, sort of athletic and lost. My question is where will carey start once Mcintosh comes back?
Just a gut feeling, but I think Carey will keep his RT (too much potential to move him) spot when McIntosh comes back. I'm not sure if Mcintosh can play RG, if so, maybe we can plug him in there. If not, I think he'll back up Carey at RT.

Might, but Carey was drafted in the first round to replace Todd Wade at RT. Your lineup looks good on paper and some reports on St. Clair seem to imply that his best position is Center. I only say that because I'm not all sold on Seth McKinney like most fans are. Lasy year I thought Ruddy was the better player and I felt more comfortable with him in there in big games instead of Seth. Hopefully, he'll step it up. Look for Jeno James to anchor the line. This guy can really play, we're lucky to have him.

Well, I thought Carey's natural postion was RT, but do to injuries at UM, they moved him all around. But I think McIntosh will probably play whatever spot Carey doesn't take, either one.

McIntosh was LT last year with SD, has he played RT before? If not, he probably won't be able to compete for starting RT this year.
At least this year Carey would keep the starting RT with St Clair as backup (hopefully). When healthy, McI would be the backup up LT or the starter if WS continues to struggle.

My gut is telling me this guy will be our RT this year and many years down the road. I think Mac(when he is back from his ankle injury) will backup Wade Smith and Carey.

RG will be a battle of Whitley, Yates, Jerman and maybe Hadnot.

I agree that I am not sold on McKinney at Center. I think Ruddy out played him last year. But then again Ruddy was not worth the $2 Million / year ?? we were paying him.

I don't understand why people want him to play RG. He played Guard in his last year at UM and had a mediocre season. He's a natural tackle...in fact Spielman admitted that while scouting Carey, they didn't even bother watching tape of last seson when he played Guard. They only watched tape of his first 3 years when he excelled at playing Tackle. Why would you want to move him to a position in which he struggled? :confused:

Might, but Carey was drafted in the first round to replace Todd Wade at RT. Your lineup looks good on paper and some reports on St. Clair seem to imply that his best position is Center. I only say that because I'm not all sold on Seth McKinney like most fans are. Lasy year I thought Ruddy was the better player and I felt more comfortable with him in there in big games instead of Seth. Hopefully, he'll step it up. Look for Jeno James to anchor the line. This guy can really play, we're lucky to have him.

dreadlockera said:
Thoughts??

That is the line I am hoping to start Week 1, but due to the injury it may not go down that way. IMO that is the best offensive line we can put together with the talent we have. I am hoping to see that ASAP.

I didn't realize that Carey played at G because of injury and struggled. Does that mean he moved there from a starting tackle position? I am just a bit worried about the RG (and C) positions. Ricky runs those A gaps and we will need power through the G-C-G positions. Lost of faith in James, but the rest worries me.

dreadlockera said:
I didn't realize that Carey played at G because of injury and struggled. Does that mean he moved there from a starting tackle position? I am just a bit worried about the RG (and C) positions. Ricky runs those A gaps and we will need power through the G-C-G positions. Lost of faith in James, but the rest worries me.
Yeah, his natural spot is tackle and that's where he played b4 injury. I think Seth will certainly do a better job than Ruddy did last year. Ruddy was never a dominant run blocker and he is old as hell. Atleast Seth will be cracking some people and running around for 4 quarters. RG is really scary...pretty much our whole right side is scary. I don't expect Carey to waltz in and light the world on fire, he's gonna make some rookie mistakes and he's gonna get roasted a few times. On top of that, we don't know who's gonna play RG and we don't have any RGs that have enough experience to atleast mentor Carey. We need another vet on this O line.

Back
Top Bottom