Carl Morris | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Carl Morris

Lee2000

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Hello,

I have heard many of you discuss Morris in the NFE. I realize the level of competition, and I have heard Jason respond to questions about players from the NFE not having much, if any, of a chance. However, I watched Morris yesterday, and what does he not have that Oronde has. Anyone know how fast Morris is. He appears to be faster. He is not afraid of going over the middle, and he appears to have good hands. I am guessing his ability to run routes and seperate from defenders may be points of issue. But he looks as good as Newson did last year, if not better. I give him the best shot of any player in NFE other than Henry.

P.S. I guess no one is going to sign, or take a chance on Demarco McNeil or Brandon Everage, two guys that were estimated to be 3rd round picks before their injury issues.

Lee2000

McNeil

McNeil played DT for the University of Auburn, and was invited to the Senior Bowl. However, his knees may be a chronic problem, as they appear to scared off everyone. He was projected as a third round pick.

Everage is recovering from shoulder surgery (rotator cuff I believe) and has had a number of off-field issues.

Lee2000

I've watched Morris play and he appears to be really solid however, it just doesn't look like there's room for him on this team at this time unless he can come in and really make one of the other guys look like a tool.

Cranx said:
I've watched Morris play and he appears to be really solid however, it just doesn't look like there's room for him on this team at this time unless he can come in and really make one of the other guys look like a tool.

Room can be made. you bring him in in July and see what he has that others dont, thats how room gets made. If the kid brings something to the table such as reading blitzes with the QB on a moments notice, well, i would say he has something to offer on 3rd and long, especially against the Pats. Never say never.
Now im not saying he is great. But what i saw was fundamentals. going over the middle, getting YAC, covering the ball in open field in traffic, reading blitzes, CATCHING THE BALL!

For any NFLE guys to come and make the team is going to be real tough. Not to knock any of the guys... I personally do like what Carl Morris brings, but to play a whole season over-seas and then have to go through training camp, preseason and then the regular season is just too much for any body to handle. The more likely solution is to make the practice squad and then contribute NEXT year.

Oboy said:
For any NFLE guys to come and make the team is going to be real tough. Not to knock any of the guys... I personally do like what Carl Morris brings, but to play a whole season over-seas and then have to go through training camp, preseason and then the regular season is just too much for any body to handle. The more likely solution is to make the practice squad and then contribute NEXT year.

Well, what have you seen from Tolver that makes you think he has made the team? I dont think anything is set. If Carl Morris can now read blitzes and be on the same page as the QB, well that creates a comfort for the QB and it helps beat blitzing teams like NE. All i am saying, is give experience a chance. Another point here Oboy is that rountree was here in preseason and he did good and he might be ready to step in. What if Madison gets hurt? You need depth ready to go on a moments notice that you know can atleast be aggressive and do the job. Thats what i saw in Roundtree. So you may be right, maybe they end up on PS, but they are a part of the team and can step in and contribute when injuries occur and maybe just maybe, we see a guy who can rise to the occasion and become a FT player. A much cheaper player. Ogun.

He won't be able to get on the same page with the QB's because he is in EUROPE!!! Plus, if the FO thought he could contribute this year, he wouldn't be in Europe right now getting hit and tackled all the time.....he would be in Davie working out and going to QB schools.

rountree was here in preseason and he did good and he might be ready to step in. What if Madison gets hurt? You need depth ready to go on a moments notice that you know can atleast be aggressive and do the job. Thats what i saw in Roundtree.
I agree and that is what the whole purpose of Practice Squad is. However, I still see Howard and Poole ahead of Rountree. I could be wrong, hell this is not my job to evaluate, but it is going to be tough for him to come in and play on a regular basis (barring any injuries). In all reality, he (as well as most NFLE) guys probably have an advantage in that they have been playing games for 10 weeks when most guys are just practicing.

I don't discount the possibility of someone coming from NFLE and making the team I just don't think it is that likely. I personally don't have any bias on who makes the team, I just want the best players and the ones that will help the team the most.

FYI: another opinion - JC

Q. Jason, Do you think any of the NFLE players have a real chance at making the 53 man roster? If so who? I think Alphonso Roundtree has the best chance as the 5th CB if Miami decides to go with 5 CBs. What Carl Morris or Brendan Givan?
chris, pensacola,fl 5/25/04
A. Henry obviously has already made it. Roundtree is very interesting. I like him a lot, although he could do to get a little stronger. Morris and Givan are in a a cast of thousands.
Jason Cole 5/25/04
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/qa_forum.htm

Back
Top Bottom