Cashman: Yanks winners on field, losers in wallet | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cashman: Yanks winners on field, losers in wallet

MikeO said:
If they brought in a salary cap floor you can kiss about 5-8 teams goodbye over the course of a few seasons.

Florida, Pittsburgh, Tampa, and KC right off the top of my head would no longer exist.

(mind you I agree with you about the salary cap floor. Add a salary cap floor before you add a ceiling. Im just saying in reailty it will be the end of about 5-8 teams and the Union won't let that happen)

I don't think cutting down a few teams would be the worse thing to happen to baseball. It would actually make a better product and take a bunch of players out of the league that have no business being on a major league roster anyways. KC is fielding a double-a team anyways what's the difference if they get rid of them or not? It takes a special kind of team to go up ten runs and lose. The Yankees are good for baseball and they haven't won the World Series in about 5 years or so, so I don't get the whining about them spending money. If A-Rod would've been traded to Boston nobody would complain about them spending money.

djfresh47 said:
I don't think cutting down a few teams would be the worse thing to happen to baseball. It would actually make a better product and take a bunch of players out of the league that have no business being on a major league roster anyways. KC is fielding a double-a team anyways what's the difference if they get rid of them or not? It takes a special kind of team to go up ten runs and lose. The Yankees are good for baseball and they haven't won the World Series in about 5 years or so, so I don't get the whining about them spending money. If A-Rod would've been traded to Boston nobody would complain about them spending money.

Oh I agree with both you and MikeO. MLB needs a floor, its pathetic how KC's biggest signing was Doug Minetktkjdakjkwhtwitz and Reggie Sanders this off season, Tampa Bay has some good young hitting but are too cheap to throw big money at big name FA pitchers (ala The Rockies in 2001 when they signed Mike Hampton and Denny Neagle). Cutting 2 teams (probably KC and Tampa Bay) would be a good idea because then you'll see even more teams in playoff races down the strench.

And yes the Yankees are good for baseball. They're the biggest draw both at home and on the road. The sold over 4 million tickets this year at home and everytime the Yankees are on the road the game is a near sell out. Plus they pump money back into the small market teams who don't spend any money.

Isn't this going to be the 1st year in a long time that Reggie Sanders has not made the playoffs? I thought I heard something about him always being in the postseason. Casual fans don't want to watch Detroit/Chicago they want to watch Boston/NYY. Their is no gray area with the Yankees you either love them or you hate them but regardless most people will watch them in the postseason with a rooting interest. A Red Sox/Yankees playoff series is more memorable than the World Series. We remember Aaron Boone hitting a walk-off homerun but forget that the Marlins were the best team that year.

The union will NEVER let teams to get reduced.

The Yankees and Notre Dame are the ONLY teams in sports that you love or hate. And I have no problems with the haters........just don't be stupid. Don't say their payroll will be $300 mill. Or they are bad for baseball. Or they are ruining the sport.

Please. Hate them, but live in reality and don't make stuff up just because!

MikeO said:
No, maybe not 120 or 180.........but how about spending 90 mill? Or 75 mill? (and the YES network has only been around a couple years now, it hasn't been around since the begining of time)

This is business you gotta sell a hot product. If the team is good they will sell more tickets, more merch, and maybe work up to getting their own network. You can't sell a doormat product. Steinbrenner isn't anywhere NEAR the richest owner in baeball. That Twins guy is a friggin billionare. These owners want handouts. They don't want to build up a brand. Build up a business.

The reason the stadium for KC is empty is because the team stinks!!!! Your telling me if the Royals weren't in 1st place they wouldn't be selling out games? They won the world series in 1985 and played in front of a packed house every night. Your telling me everyone stopped watching?????? Spend some money and get your product better. Create a product people want to see. This is how the real world works!!!!

And the revenue sharing in general is just stupid. It's like McDonalds cutting a check to Burger King. Is it McDonalds fault that Burger King has less restuarants, less money to spend, and can do less things financially??? Should they be FORCED to cut a check to their competition because their competition is incompetent??????? The fact these billionare baseball owners are getting WELFARE from other owners is stupid and yet they still complain!!!

LOL. Ok the Royals should spend 90mil. Guess what? They would still suck and would still have no shot at the Yanks or the higher end teams They would end up losing like 50 million or more and be bankrupt. Brillant! Wonder why the owner hasnt done this. Econ 101 would do you some bigtime help.
Im a Red Sox fan, we are part of the problem too. The big market teams create payrolls that are so large there is no way for smaller market teams to stay consistantly in the running for a title. Some of them produce great minor league rosters, have a run or two with young studs then fade away. Its not a coincidence that the Sox, Yanks, etc are in the running every year. No one wanted to touch Arods, Abreus', etc salaries yet the Yanks will take on all of them at once. Gee I wonder why?
Hiliarous to blame the smaller market owners for not wanting to bankrupt themselves and their teams. Too much man. This thread is just funny. The problem isnt market disparity, no salary cap and poor revenue sharing, its the fact that the lower end teams wont go bankrupt or loss tens of millions to finish in 4th place instead of last. LOL.

finfansince72 said:
LOL. Ok the Royals should spend 90mil. Guess what? They would still suck and would still have no shot at the Yanks or the higher end teams They would end up losing like 50 million or more and be bankrupt. Brillant! Wonder why the owner hasnt done this. Econ 101 would do you some bigtime help.
Im a Red Sox fan, we are part of the problem too. The big market teams create payrolls that are so large there is no way for smaller market teams to stay consistantly in the running for a title. Some of them produce great minor league rosters, have a run or two with young studs then fade away. Its not a coincidence that the Sox, Yanks, etc are in the running every year. No one wanted to touch Arods, Abreus', etc salaries yet the Yanks will take on all of them at once. Gee I wonder why?
Hiliarous to blame the smaller market owners for not wanting to bankrupt themselves and their teams. Too much man. This thread is just funny. The problem isnt market disparity, no salary cap and poor revenue sharing, its the fact that the lower end teams wont go bankrupt or loss tens of millions to finish in 4th place instead of last. LOL.

The Oakland A's have a payroll of about 63 million and are a 1st place baseball team the Twins have about the same payroll and are a 1/2 game out of the WC going into tonight; while the Mariners have a payroll close to 90 million and are a bad team. Saying teams can't compete while big market teams spending more cash is false. I'll say this about small markets and that is they need to have a good GM, look at what Ryan and Beane have done for their respected teams. A.J. Pierzynski was traded for Joe Nathan, Francisco Liriano, and Boof Bonser! I love Pierzynski and his attitude that he brings to the White Sox but Brian Sabean should be fired on principle for that trade!

more Yankee love, from the Onion:

clear.gif

djfresh47 said:
The Oakland A's have a payroll of about 63 million and are a 1st place baseball team the Twins have about the same payroll and are a 1/2 game out of the WC going into tonight; while the Mariners have a payroll close to 90 million and are a bad team. Saying teams can't compete while big market teams spending more cash is false. I'll say this about small markets and that is they need to have a good GM, look at what Ryan and Beane have done for their respected teams. A.J. Pierzynski was traded for Joe Nathan, Francisco Liriano, and Boof Bonser! I love Pierzynski and his attitude that he brings to the White Sox but Brian Sabean should be fired on principle for that trade!
I'm a life long Oakland A's fan. I'm not going to argue the Yankee's point because I'll just get judged for my so called "2nd city mentality". An arguement I've had and do not want to waste my time on again...

I think the Yankees are good for baseball...to a point. The fact that they are basically in their own league is a little annoying but tolerable. If they had won the last 6 World championships it would be a total joke but that is not the case...

You have to look at what the A's have to do every year to stay in contention. I'll start off by saying I'm damn proud of the job Billy Beane does. He works with his shoe string budget, fills a few holes here and there and relies on very shrewd trades and smart drafting to reload the system with players.

That being said, it takes a TON of luck to do what he does. You have to hope that injuries don't cripple you (the A's have been killed by injuries up and down their entire organization this year). Yes, they are still in 1st place but believe me, the injuries they suffered to their minor leaguers will be felt in 2-3 years. They can't spend their way out of that like some teams can (it is not just the Yankees). They need their young players to stay healthy and be ready to take spots vacated by players that can't be kept.

Look at what the A's would have IF baseball had some sort of financial sanity? I don't like seeing Beane forced into trading Hudson or Mulder or letting Miggy walk but he has to. With the A's stadium situation and local market he does'nt have the rescources to keep players.

I'd do the Mulder trade 1,000,000,000 times over but it still stung at the time (Haren, Kalero and Barton in return...great deal in my opinion).

This upcoming offseason the circle begins again. Barry Zito will get a 15 million dollar a year contract offer from someone, an offer the A's have zero hope of matching if they want to remain viable and competative, he'll walk and I'll have to hope that Harden stays healthy and Haren and Blanton continue to ascend.

I've learned to like it in a sadistic kind of way...:lol: That being said, teams like the A's and the Twins are the EXCEPTION...not the rule.

There is no real cure for it all. There will always be, in my opinion, 3 classes of MLB franchises. It's almost to the point where there should be divisions, like Euro soccer.

Some teams are tapped out and will probably never get better. (KC, Tampa)

Some teams are smartly managed and as long as they keep their management teams together they will remain in the hunt. (Twins, A's)

Some teams have a ton of cash, spend it like drunken sailors and are just stupid (Baltimore, Cubs)

Some teams have a ton of cash, do smart things and have the luxery of spending their way out of trouble. (Yankees, BoSox).

I'd love to see a salary cap system but, and I've said this 1,000 times and MikeO said it as well, there HAS to be a floor put in place. Temas like Tampa, KC and Florida should not be able to profit from other teams while doing nothing to improve the product on the field.

Retraction is almost needed. Some teams need to be taken apart, never to be seen again.

BTW....Go A's!

unifiedtheory said:
I'm a life long Oakland A's fan. I'm not going to argue the Yankee's point because I'll just get judged for my so called "2nd city mentality". An arguement I've had and do not want to waste my time on again...

I think the Yankees are good for baseball...to a point. The fact that they are basically in their own league is a little annoying but tolerable. If they had won the last 6 World championships it would be a total joke but that is not the case...

You have to look at what the A's have to do every year to stay in contention. I'll start off by saying I'm damn proud of the job Billy Beane does. He works with his shoe string budget, fills a few holes here and there and relies on very shrewd trades and smart drafting to reload the system with players.

That being said, it takes a TON of luck to do what he does. You have to hope that injuries don't cripple you (the A's have been killed by injuries up and down their entire organization this year). Yes, they are still in 1st place but believe me, the injuries they suffered to their minor leaguers will be felt in 2-3 years. They can't spend their way out of that like some teams can (it is not just the Yankees). They need their young players to stay healthy and be ready to take spots vacated by players that can't be kept.

Look at what the A's would have IF baseball had some sort of financial sanity? I don't like seeing Beane forced into trading Hudson or Mulder or letting Miggy walk but he has to. With the A's stadium situation and local market he does'nt have the rescources to keep players.

I'd do the Mulder trade 1,000,000,000 times over but it still stung at the time (Haren, Kalero and Barton in return...great deal in my opinion).

This upcoming offseason the circle begins again. Barry Zito will get a 15 million dollar a year contract offer from someone, an offer the A's have zero hope of matching if they want to remain viable and competative, he'll walk and I'll have to hope that Harden stays healthy and Haren and Blanton continue to ascend.

I've learned to like it in a sadistic kind of way...:lol: That being said, teams like the A's and the Twins are the EXCEPTION...not the rule.

There is no real cure for it all. There will always be, in my opinion, 3 classes of MLB franchises. It's almost to the point where there should be divisions, like Euro soccer.

Some teams are tapped out and will probably never get better. (KC, Tampa)

Some teams are smartly managed and as long as they keep their management teams together they will remain in the hunt. (Twins, A's)

Some teams have a ton of cash, spend it like drunken sailors and are just stupid (Baltimore, Cubs)

Some teams have a ton of cash, do smart things and have the luxery of spending their way out of trouble. (Yankees, BoSox).

I'd love to see a salary cap system but, and I've said this 1,000 times and MikeO said it as well, there HAS to be a floor put in place. Temas like Tampa, KC and Florida should not be able to profit from other teams while doing nothing to improve the product on the field.

Retraction is almost needed. Some teams need to be taken apart, never to be seen again.

BTW....Go A's!

good post

djfresh47 said:

What about the people with businesses around the stadium that maybe get a few more customers on gameday? What about the fans that care about the team? What about the players that even if they arent top notch this is how they feed their family

IMO baseball is fine the way it is, it doesnt need a cap or a floor, What has unlimited spending done for the Yankees lately? Not much

unifiedtheory said:

BTW....Go A's!

2 things.....

1) The union will nver let retraction take place. The union took a big hit (maybe their only hit ever in their history) with Steroid testing. IF you think they will EVER let a team or two close shop and lose jobs for a bunch of players your nuts. It won't happen now or ever.

2) The union might push for a salary cap floor though at some point. Becuase teams like the Marlins, Pirates, Royals, Tampa..........its patheitc on every level. They will put pressure on the owners to put in a floor and MAKE these teams spend money or else force the current owners to sell them off!! The problem with the competitive balance isnt' at the top. I mean if you have a $120 mill payroll or a $200 mill payroll its esentially the same. At some point its a gluten and there is no difference. If your payroll is $80 mill and another is $198 mill, those are equal (sounds stupid but thats the way MOST teams view it). The problem is with the $20 mill payrolls and the $35 mill payrolls. The competitive balance problem isnt' at the top, its at the bottom. You can't make the successful teams cater to the poor teams or
the incompetent teams.

Alex44 said:
What about the people with businesses around the stadium that maybe get a few more customers on gameday? What about the fans that care about the team? What about the players that even if they arent top notch this is how they feed their family

Life isn't fair. Business is cut throat. What you wrote could be applied in all aspects of life. Why is FORD and GM doing layoffs. Is it fair to the workers or the cities those plants are in? I mean sometimes things happen. Companies go under. People are out in the cold. It sucks, but hey......we can't continue doing welfare for billionare owners. It's just wrong on so many levels.

djfresh47 said:

The As and the Twins will get beat in the playoffs again. You can 'compete' with lower payrolls, but you will not compete year in and year out and when the Yanks, Sox, etc are nearing 200million all you can do is hope to win a playoff series.
Last ten years the only "small" market teams" to win a World Series-Florida and Arizona. NY Yanks-4times, 4 in 5 years. They have choked in recent years but they do have more talent than any other team. Even with key injuries they just go out and trade for/buy new players. How would the Twins or A's be doing if two or 3 bigtime players on their team were gone for the year?
Baseballs system is messed up, how anyone can even with a straightface watch the sport get passed by the likes of Nascar and act as though its in great shape is just being silly. Baseball is a 2nd rate American sport, thats a tragedy. Most fans just dont care about it. Why should they? Their team has no shot. Bringing up two teams like the As and Twins who make solid runs only to be passed by teams with stacked payrolls isnt making a point.
Baseball sucks right now for like 80% of the league, knowing they have no legit shot.

Back
Top Bottom