Cashman: Yanks winners on field, losers in wallet | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cashman: Yanks winners on field, losers in wallet

djfresh47 said:
If we're discussing ratings I think the primetime games that young people aren't able to view are hurting baseball. Also if a game starts at 10 because a West Coast team makes the World Series how many people are going to stay up and watch just because it's the World Series? I think teams are penalized for spending over a certain amount in the form of a luxury tax. The Yankees have been over every year but the Rangers have been over 3 times and have been awful. The USA cares more about Football, who cares that has nothing to do with the economics of baseball. Baseball is fair how else can you explain the A's and the Twins consistently being very good and the Marlins this season making a run at the Wild Card. I think the problem is owners who get revenue sharing and just pocket the money while not trying to improve their team. Also the biggest problem in all of this is poor scouting. The Yankees have not won a World Series in I think 5 years yet people complain about them like they're winning championships every year, I don't get it.
You can compete. You just can't compete every year. Like you might have a down year in your league and be right there. Or have a good season every 2-3 years. But the Yankees, Red Sox, and what not can field a team every year that's top of the league, roster wise.

The problem with disscussing Baseball payrolls is that one team exists in their own reality, while most teams operate under their own system, and a few bottom feeders unable, or unwilling, to pony up the scratch to be a legit club just skate on by with no mention.

Remember, the difference between the Red Sox/Mets payroll and the Yankees is greater than the difference between the Red Sox/Mets payroll and the Royals.

dob72 said:
The problem with disscussing Baseball payrolls is that one team exists in their own reality, while most teams operate under their own system, and a few bottom feeders unable, or unwilling, to pony up the scratch to be a legit club just skate on by with no mention.

Remember, the difference between the Red Sox/Mets payroll and the Yankees is greater than the difference between the Red Sox/Mets payroll and the Royals.

well that's life. It isn't fair.

My neighbor next door makes close to $1 mill a year and more $$ than I do. Everything ISN'T created equal.

Stop crying and whining about it.

And the Florida Marlins at a $15 mill payroll competing for the playoffs just blows this whole argument out of the water. Cause it proves you can't buy anything!!!!!!! That payroll doesn't matter! :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: Easy concept to grasp. It really is.

MikeO said:
1) Look at their latest TV deal. Trust me the sport isn't hurting.

2) Hasn't FLORIDA won 2 world championships in the past 10 years? Didn't, Arizona also win a title?? Small market teams are competing with the big boys and winning.

If you have an owner that is willing to spend a ton of dough and lose a ton of tough in a smaller market (like Arizona did for a while and got a title with Johnson, Schilling...) its only sustainable as long as the owner is willing to drown in red ink

the Marlins, won a title, then had the biggest fire sale in history because they lost so much dough. Would never have happened with the Yankees would it have?

Football has the better model. The playing field is about as close to even as you can get. That means if you have the best management, coaching and some luck, you can consistently contend. You can't be a dynasty because you can't afford everyone, but you can contend consistently if you have smart management and coaching.

Not so in baseball.
Its completely hypothetical, but I think if you had a level playing field (pardon the pun), where every team every season had a legitimate chance to compete, overall interest would be much higher.

I think part of the reason that the NFL went from well below baseball in economic health (I'm talking 30 years ago now) to far above it were key decisions involving revenue sharing so that every team could compete, from Green Bay and Kansas City, to Dallas and New York.

The incredible discrepencies in revenues and the ability to spend on players between the haves and the have nots means that over half the teams generally don't have a chance before a season starts. Unless you get extremely lucky, small market teams have a very small window of opportunity before they lose their players to larger market teams via free agency or because they can't afford them when they are salary arbitration eligible.

Teams like the Twins, As etc... have very short windows where they can get lucky and compete, but unlike the Yankees who can always afford more players, their windows shut pretty quickly.

MikeO said:
payroll doesn't matter!
riiiiiiiiiiiiiight then why bother having the highest payroll in sports history

See that's not really true. The Yankees, because they can afford ridiculous salaries, can make stupid decisions and take on enormous salaries to hide their prior mistakes. They may not have won the series in a while, but they are always in the post season. What you do in the post season is pretty much a crap shoot.

How often have the Pirates, Brewers, Royals even played .500 ball in the last dozen years or so, let alone make it to post season. Fans on those teams know they don't have a prayer before the season even starts.

There are occasions when smaller spending teams can make a little noise, but their windows of opportunity are short. They have to win soon, or else they lose their players to free agency or because they can't afford what salary arbitration will grant them.

Exceptions prove the rule. Like Minny and Oakland have done well in the last few years (although no championships there), every year they face tough decisions and are at risk of losing key talent. A's will probably lose Zito, what will Minny do with the man patrolling center field...

It's easier to win when you have the cash, but by no means does it mean it's automatic. true

I'm still of the opinion that Brian Cashman is one of the worst General Managers in sports.

Cashman is an idiot, what does that say about baseball. It says that one team has such a huge advantage over others, that even with an idiot running it, you can still make the playoffs year after year.

Your obsession with the Yankees and their payroll is becoming quite scary. If something like that gets you so worked up you need to seek professional help. Its really getting quite pathetic.

Motion said:
Your obsession with the Yankees and their payroll is becoming quite scary. If something like that gets you so worked up you need to seek professional help. Its really getting quite pathetic.
i guess it is pathetic to like the once great sport of baseball

dob72 said:
Football has the better model. The playing field is about as close to even as you can get. That means if you have the best management, coaching and some luck, you can consistently contend. You can't be a dynasty because you can't afford everyone, but you can contend consistently if you have smart management and coaching.

Not so in baseball.
Its completely hypothetical, but I think if you had a level playing field (pardon the pun), where every team every season had a legitimate chance to compete, overall interest would be much higher.

I think part of the reason that the NFL went from well below baseball in economic health (I'm talking 30 years ago now) to far above it were key decisions involving revenue sharing so that every team could compete, from Green Bay and Kansas City, to Dallas and New York.

The incredible discrepencies in revenues and the ability to spend on players between the haves and the have nots means that over half the teams generally don't have a chance before a season starts. Unless you get extremely lucky, small market teams have a very small window of opportunity before they lose their players to larger market teams via free agency or because they can't afford them when they are salary arbitration eligible.

You can't compare it to football! :shakeno:

Football games are played on 1 day a week (majority) and they have 1 universal TV deal. It's only 17 weeks. It's easy for 1 TV deal and to share the money. There are only 16 games max per week.

MLB goes for 8 months!!!!!!!! 32++ weeks. 162 games. You can't have 1 universal TV deal and share the money!! :shakeno:

It's like comparing a jet to a car. Sure both are forms of transportation but it makes no sense to compare them and expect both to be equal.

MikeO said:
well that's life. It isn't fair.

My neighbor next door makes close to $1 mill a year and more $$ than I do. Everything ISN'T created equal.

Stop crying and whining about it.
thats fine life isn't fair but don't sit there and pretend payroll means nothing and the yankees winning anything is even remotely impressive

dob72 said:
riiiiiiiiiiiiiight then why bother having the highest payroll in sports history

See that's not really true. The Yankees, because they can afford ridiculous salaries, can make stupid decisions and take on enormous salaries to hide their prior mistakes. They may not have won the series in a while, but they are always in the post season. What you do in the post season is pretty much a crap shoot.

How often have the Pirates, Brewers, Royals even played .500 ball in the last dozen years or so, let alone make it to post season. Fans on those teams know they don't have a prayer before the season even starts.

There are occasions when smaller spending teams can make a little noise, but their windows of opportunity are short. They have to win soon, or else they lose their players to free agency or because they can't afford what salary arbitration will grant them.

Exceptions prove the rule. Like Minny and Oakland have done well in the last few years (although no championships there), every year they face tough decisions and are at risk of losing key talent. A's will probably lose Zito, what will Minny do with the man patrolling center field...

It's easier to win when you have the cash, but by no means does it mean it's automatic. true

I'm still of the opinion that Brian Cashman is one of the worst General Managers in sports.

Cashman is an idiot, what does that say about baseball. It says that one team has such a huge advantage over others, that even with an idiot running it, you can still make the playoffs year after year.

blah blah blah blah.........blah blah blah blah......blah blah blah, blah blah! BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!!

Dude your a broken record at this point.

And how is Cashman an idiot??? He just fleeced Philly for Abreu and Lidel. That wasn't all about payroll, other teams were after them. How is Cashman an idiot when he DIDN'T trade Cano, Melky, or Wang and got big names in return. Dude you hate the Yanks. We get it, but don't lose all your credibility by sounding clueless about this. Your reaching on some of this stuff.

MikeO said:
Then go watch football! HELLO!
oh yes i get it don't like it don't watch it and i don't really anymore but does that mean i can't have a discussion about the state of baseball

Motion said:

:allhail: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Thank you for saying what needed to be said!!! This thread really needs to be locked. Watching one person hang themselves and spew nonsense isn't fun anymore and painful.

dob72 said:
oh yes i get it don't like it don't watch it and i don't really anymore but does that mean i can't have a discussion about the state of baseball

if you don't watch............why do you care? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

MikeO said:
but don't lose all your credibility by sounding clueless about this. Your reaching on some of this stuff.
coming from you thats dosen't mean much nothing i said wasn't true

u seem to be the one reaching on stuff saying payroll dosen't matter at all

saying 126 mill is the same as 200 mill

yeah i"m the one sounding clueless

Back
Top Bottom