Center is where it starts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Center is where it starts

Smacks

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a firm believer that a Super Bowl caliber team begins at center. Look over the years of the better teams that were in contention, played or won a Super Bowl. They all had top tier centers that played for years. Jim Langer, Jeff Bostic, Jim Otto, Mike Webster just to name a few. Does Seth McKinney have these players qualities? Its a bit too early to tell but he needs to start showing this qualities now. Seth needs to take over this line. Be the leader. Make the calls. Yell at the players to move their butts. Get down and nasty. Show other teams that this OL will not be pushed around. That when you play Miami, your in a for a dog fight.

How many of you believe Miami would have played a couple more SB's in the 80's if Dwight Stephenson hadn't been CHEAP shoted by his so called friend, Marty Lyons, from the Jets? I believe they would have been there at least once if not twice more.

Seth has got to be ready by game 1 against the Titans. The AFC East will again be a tough division and the Phins have to come out of the gate busting heads up front and win. Miami's running game can't just rely on Williams talent make a hole or cut back. It has to open more than just a sliver of daylight. The OL has to get downfield and hit the LB's. Until Miami proves it can pass the ball downfield, they will see 8-9 men up front. This is where Seth and his line calls come into play. He has to be on top of his game every game. He has to be the leader and motivate the line. I'm tired of players leading by example. Someone has to be vocal and the center is the one who has to be that person.

Don't question the talent up front. Their mostly young and inexperienced but not so inexperienced that they haven't played against quality talent. The have to have success early and use that for confidence. The talent of these players will go as far as the center leads them. Seth needs to step up and be the man to lead them, period.

I thought this was right on cue...

Long-awaited chance is in McKinney’s sights (Sun)

I totally agree about the center position. He's definitely the QB of the line.
Interesting to note that McKinney's contract is up this year. Hope he pans out. Seems like he's got the tools, knowledge and flexibility to be the guy. I think the 2 years subbing and learning from Ruddy will cement his future. I usually hate turning over the line to a young center... But I feel good with McKinney... he almost could be considered a "vet". Sure, he's got the tenure but not the game experience... however, I think he's probably needed time on the pine to LEARN to be a pro center.

I feel better with him than any other guy in camp OR most other options. I think his upside will eventually show through. I hope we are seeing the beginnings of a Pro Bowl caliber youngster leading us for years.

Umm, we'll see. But not for nothin, the patriots went on their super bowl run with Woody first at guard, and then injured. I don't remember the Ravens having that great a center when they won the super bowl, I think it was Mike Flynn or someone like that. The Rams center I think was Andy McCollum the two times they made the super bowl...the Eagles have been in contention the last 3 years with Hank Fraley at center I believe. Barret Robbins on the Raiders is pretty good but he's not like these guys you are talking about (Otto, Langer, etc). I dont remember who the Titans' center was when they reached the super bowl but I think Brad Matthews was playing guard at the time. Kevin Mawae has never reached a super bowl. Dermonte Dawson...well, I think the Steelers did ok with him there I know he played in one super bowl.

Overall can you really say that good centers are more important to a team's success than other positions? I don't think so...

It begs the question, are good centers made by good teams with good guards and tackles, as well as good QBs etc, or do centers really make a team good? I don't think there's enough evidence to go either way but if I were to lean, I always follow the money. Centers get maybe a little more money on average than guards, which is to say probably the 6th lowest salaries in football...only Fullbacks, Tight Ends, Safeties, Kicker/Punters, and Guards are paid less in general.

I don't think it's necessary that McKinney become "the leader". It sounds like Jeno James is taking that role upon himself and, in light of their relative experience, that's how it should be.

Back
Top Bottom