ChambersWI 2014 Prospect Rankings | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ChambersWI 2014 Prospect Rankings

ChambersWI

Going Ghost
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I'm no guru (at least I don't have a badge), but I feel people on this site like to see a variety with how prospects are ranked. Interested to see how the gurus view my rankings. Top 5 at each position.

Quarterbacks
1.Teddy Bridgewater Jr, Louisville
2.Tajh Boyd Sr, Clemson
3.AJ McCarron Sr, Alabama
4.David Fales Sr, San Jose State
5.Johnny Manziel RS So, Texas A&M.

Worth Watching
Brett Hundley RS So, UCLA
Derek Carr Sr, Fresno State
Aaron Murray Sr, Georgia

This potentially is a very very deep QB class. Teddy Bridgewater is my runaway favorite in preseason to be the number one pick. Of course, in October many thought Geno Smith was the number 1 pick so a lot can change. I've been a huge fan of Tajh Boyd since he was being recruited and feel, depending on the team, is the number 2 pick right now. McCarron and Fales don't get much love as pro prospects right now. Johnny Football's lack of discipline right now drops him for me. Aaron Murray is a great college QB, but height will hold him back a bit. Keep an eye out for Brett Hundley of UCLA. He may be able to challenge for that top spot.

Runningbacks
1.D'Anthony Thomas Jr, Oregon
2.Lache Seastrunk Jr, Baylor
3.Ka'Deem Carey Jr, Arizona
4.Damien Williams Sr, Oklahoma
5.Bishop Sankey Jr, Washington

Worth Watching
George Atkinson III Jr Notre Dame
Charles Sims Sr, West Virginia
James Wilder Jr, Florida State

Some big play RBs that have excelled in the spread offense, but there are no Trent Richardsons or Adrian Petersons in this draft. Thomas, Seastrunk, and Carey all could sneak into the 2nd half of round 1 but no real elite prospects here. Though if Miller and/or Thomas don't produce at RB, I wouldn't mind getting any of the top 3 to add another dimension to the offense. Overall though, not an exciting class

Wide Receivers
1.Sammy Watkins Jr, Clemson
2.Marquis Lee Jr, USC
3.Donte Moncrief Jr, Ole Miss
4.Jordan Matthews Sr, Vanderbilt
5.Allen Robinson Jr, Penn State

Worth Watching
Paul Richardson Jr, Colorado
Mike Evans RS So, Texas A&M
Brandon Coleman Jr, Rutgers

Like most years, there are a lot of underclassmen to like, but they have to live up to the preseason hype. At this point last year Keenan Allen and Robert Woods were top 20 locks. While most have Lee as the number 1 WR, I have Watkins but it's more like 1 and 1a. Watkins' production too a step back from his sophomore year while Lee had a Heisman caliber season on a disappointing USC team. Personally talent wise I don't think you can go wrong either way. I also love Allen Robinson. I have him 5th, but the kid is the Penn State offense. Mike Evans had an awesome RS freshmen season overshadowed by his teammate, but the kid is a good prospect. Moncrief was one of the better WRs in the SEC, but it wouldn't shock me if his production goes down (both due to LeQuon Treadwell, and he's already hinted at wanting to leave so he may make more "business decisions). Jordan Matthews is the top senior WR, and will probably get drafted lower than he should. Paul Richardson is one to keep an eye on for sure. After missing last season with a torn ACL, he started off the season with 200 yards receiving and 2 TDs. Impressive physical speciman. Preseason I can honestly say that there are quite a few prospects I'm excited to watch, but again, they have to follow through.

Tightends
1.Austin Sefarian-Jenkins Jr, Washington
2.Eric Ebron Jr, North Carolina
3.CJ Fiedorowicz Sr, Iowa
4.Colt Lyerla Jr, Oregon
5.Xavier Grimble Jr, USC

Worth Watching
Jace Amaro Jr, Texas Tech
Arthur Lynch Sr, Georgia
Marcel Jensen Sr, Fresno State

The top 4 guys are head and shoulders above everybody else in the draft class. ASJ didn't start the fall off right getting a DUI in August, but talent wise he could be a top 15 pick. Ebron and and Lyerla are both athletic TE targets. Fiedorowicz is 6'7 and a decent athlete. After those 4? Meh. Amaro could be one to watch as he should get a lot of opportunities in Kliff Kingsbury's offense. Grimble showed flashes.

Offensive Tackles
1.Taylor Lewan Sr, Michigan
2.Jake Matthews Sr, Texas A&M
3.Cyrus Kouandjio Jr, Alabama
4.Antonio Richardson Jr, Tennessee
5.James Hurst Sr, North Carolina

I'm not going to give worth watching for the cornfeds, sorry. I'm also not going to apologize for being a homer and putting Taylor Lewan as the top OT. In truth the top 3 are all fairly close and are interchangeable. Though Kouandjio did have a bit of a rough go to start the season. Probably all top 15 picks with Richardson also sneaking into the first.

Offensive Guards
1.Cyril Richardson Sr, Baylor
2. Xavier Su'a-Filo Jr, UCLA
3.Gabe Jackson Sr, Mississippi State
4.Zack Martin Sr, Notre Dame
5.David Yankley Sr, Stanford.

Yankley was an All-American LT last year but translates to guard. Um... Yeah I got nothing else with talking about guards.

Centers
1.Travis Swanson Sr, Arkansas
2.Bryan Stork Sr, Florida State
3.Weston Richburg Sr, Colorado State
4.Hroniss Grasu Jr, Oregon
5. Gabe Ikard Sr, Oklahoma

The Oregon center has an awesome name. That's pretty much all you are getting from me.

Defensive Ends/3-4 Outside Linebackers
1.Jadeveon Clowney Jr, South Carolina
2.Stephon Truitt Jr, Notre Dame
3.Trent Murphy Jr, Stanford
4.Aaron Lynch RS So, South Florida
5.Scott Crichton Jr, Oregon State

Worth Watching
Jackson Jeffcoat Sr, Texas
Kareem Martin Sr, North Carolina
Taylor Hart Sr, Oregon

The top 4 is pretty much locked in if they decide to come out. Clowney is more than likely a top 3 pick unless he implodes. Lynch has a chance to move up with a good season after transfering to South Florida. A lot of interesting players here. DE could end up being our deepest position, but you could always use more pass rushers.

Defensive Tackles
1.Louis Nix Sr, Notre Dame
2.Will Sutton Sr, Arizona State
3.Anthony Johnson Jr, LSU
4.Timmy Jernigan Jr, Florida State
5.Daniel McCullers Sr, Tennessee

Worth Watching
DeAndre Coleman Sr, California
Ra'Shede Hageman Sr, Minnesota
Calvin Barnett Sr, Oklahoma State

With Randy Starks, Paul Soliai, and Vaughn Martin all free agents (and AJ Francis a Pat) we shouldn't discount looking at a DT early. Nix is hands down the top NT, and would be a candidate if Big Paul is not resigned. Daniel McCullers is also more of a NT. If Kevin Coyle decides to go more towards the Bengals defense with pass rushers up the middle, Will Sutton, Anthony Johnson, and Timmy Jernigan are more who we'll look at. I'd put Sutton at the top of my wish list as he did a lot of damage for the Sun Devils all by himself. Again, this is a position we should pay close attention to.

Linebackers
1.Anthony Barr Sr, UCLA
2.Kyle Van Noy Sr, BYU
3.CJ Mosely Sr, Alabama
4.Adrian Hubbard Jr, Alabama
5.Khalil Mack Sr, Buffalo

Worth Watching
Ryan Shazier Jr, Ohio State
Christian Jones Sr, Florida State
Jake Ryan Jr, Michigan

The LB class is deep. REALLY deep. Barr is more than likely a top 5 pick while pretty much everybody else mentioned as first round potential. Jake Ryan is a bit of a homer mention for Michigan, but if he comes back from injury in October and plays like he has the last 2 years for the Wolverines there aren't many better LBs. Shazier is a little light and relies a bit too much on athleticism but he's a good one. Mack dominated against Ohio State and would be a candidate for the Nagurski award if he went to a big school. I didn't even mention guys like Shane Skov, Jeremiah Attaochu, Max Bullough, AJ Johnson, or Andrew Jackson. While LB in the first 2 rounds may not be needed, picking up a decent depth guy between rounds 3-5 wouldn't hurt... especially in this class.

Cornerbacks
1.Bradley Roby Jr, Ohio State
2.Louchiez Purifoy Jr, Florida
3.Aaron Colven Sr, Oklahoma
4.Jason Verrett Sr, TCU
5.Ifo Ekpre-Olomu Jr, Oregon

Worth Watching
Marcus Roberson Jr, Florida
Justin Gilbert Sr, Oklahoma State
Bene Benwikere Sr, San Jose State

Roby was suspended the opening game for Ohio State, but if he keeps his head on straight he's an elite corner. He almost entered the 2013 draft but backed out at the last minute. Purifoy is another guy with preseason hype. With drafting Jamar Taylor and Will Davis on Day 2 this past draft Corner isn't necessarily a need, but it isn't necessarily a strength either. The development of those 2 rookies, Nolan Carroll, the play of Dimitri Patterson, and whether or not we resign Brent Grimes will all play a factor in whether or not we draft a CB early. Though it is worth keeping an eye on.

Safeties
1.Haha Clinton-Dix Jr, Alabama
2.Ed Reynolds Sr, Stanford
3.Vinnie Sunseri Jr, Alabama
4.Kenny Ladler Sr, Vanderbilt
5.Trey Boston Sr, North Carolina

Worth Watching
Craig Lotson Sr, LSU
Ty Zimmerman Sr Kansas State
Antone Exum Sr, Virginia Tech

What a surprise, Alabama having more elite talent in the secondary. Clinton-Dix isn't as highly regarded as Mark Barron (yet), but he could, and should rise up draft boards to top 15 (maybe higher?). Teammate Vinny Sunseri played as a 3rd Safety/Rover last year with Robert Lester on the team, and steps into a somewhat different role. Sunseri has shown a knack for playmaking and should also rise up boards. Reynolds had 6 interceptions last season for the Cardinal on his way to an All-American season. With Reshad Jones resigned we have one young promising safety locked up long term, but Chris Clemmons is playing on a one year deal. With his future uncertain scouting safeties should be a high priority... unless you are happy with Jimmy Wilson, Kelcey McCray, or Don Jones starting at Free Safety.

So there you go boys. Just a small preview of guys to look at. I look forward to feedback

I'll start with the safeties and work my way up... but Sunseri is a little high here. You can look at my 2014 threads stickied at the top and get an idea for how I have prospects tiered and get your own undetailed feedback for the most part. Sunseri gets by on guile, and dedication to film study. The pick-six he had against Logan Thomas this past weekend was all film study. He knew where Thomas was going with the football before Thomas did.

You can breakdown every INT he's had at Alabama throughout his career, and they all tell the same tale. Film study. He plays Saban's scheme to perfection. If you execute his system correctly, you will be in position to make plays and force turnovers. However, he's just not the kind of player who can function in man coverage. All you need to watch is the Texas A&M game from last year where Sumlin got him matched up in single coverage over and over against Ryan Swope. It wasn't even close. He was getting destroyed...to the point of lunging at Swopes feet to tackle him during routes, even when the ball was going to other receivers. He's not fast and not a great athlete...but he knows how to make plays... even in spring games (fumble recoveries for TD's, etc.) because he's always in the right place and plays within the scheme.

What's glaring here with your safety rankings to me is Deone Bucannon, Ahmad Dixon, and Nickoe Whitley not among them. I'd probably take Bucannon over any of them right now other than perhaps Ed Reynolds.

Exum is a safety playing CB for Virginia Tech who tore his ACL in January and the earliest he may return according to Dr. Andrews is some time in October.

Zimmerman is a former Quarterback who understands the passing game a little better than most defenders.

AJ McCarron is a good college QB. But in the NFL he'll have to be in the right system. He doesn't have the arm to carry a team. But he can be good in the right system. To me he's a Matt Flynn clon.

D'Anthony Thomas can u say Warrick Dunn.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think clinton dix is a little overrated...i dont see great long speed or a sure tackler in the box...mccullers projects more for me due to his height as a 34 de than nose...that height will play against him over the nose leverage wise...seems high to me for sunseri i see a maxed out player already and not a high end athlete...at wr moncrief and jordan mathews i think are overrated...not elite prospects...jake mathews the prize of the ot class...i agree with david yankey is a guard...glad somebody has will sutton up where he belongs been watching some aaron donald not as explosive or quick twitch into gaps as sutton...big sutton fan as a nickle interior rusher

well done chambers...

My opinion (for the little that it's worth).

Overall, good rankings. I think you're missing some players (and some are a little low):

I think James Wilder is better than "Worth Watching". His attitude could do him in, but not his talent.
I'm surprised Kyle Fuller is nowhere to be found in your CB rankings. I think he should be included.
Keep an eye out for Aaron Donald over there at Pitt. I wouldn't be surprised if he creeps into top-5 DT by the end of the year (I'm sure there are some who would already say he's top-5).

Denzel Perryman should have been mentioned. js..

Lol well this is my list, and you guys can put them wherever you guys want on yours ha. But I wasn't a fan of Morris coming into the year, but he impressed me against Florida.

Lol well this is my list, and you guys can put them wherever you guys want on yours ha. But I wasn't a fan of Morris coming into the year, but he impressed me against Florida.

You did say you looked forward to feedback. From what I can tell, that's what you got (not that I agree SMadison here).

You did say you looked forward to feedback. From what I can tell, that's what you got (not that I agree SMadison here).

lol yeah. Morris has a chance to fight himself into the first round if he plays like that all year. Marcus Marriota is another guy I should have mentioned at QB. Still insanely young and raw, but he's got great size.

lol yeah. Morris has a chance to fight himself into the first round if he plays like that all year. Marcus Marriota is another guy I should have mentioned at QB. Still insanely young and raw, but he's got great size.

Prospects, from an NFL perspective, are a very fluid thing. I think overall your rankings are solid this early in the year. I had my opinion on a few, but otherwise, very well done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom