Champions League - Round of 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Champions League - Round of 16

iceblizzard69

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
After two months, the Champions League is back. The format has changed, last year the round of 16 was another group stage but now it is a knockout round. Each series is 2 games, with the winner advancing based on goal differential. Here are the games for the first leg of the round of 16:

24th February 2004

Lokomotiv Moskva - Monaco
Celta - Arsenal
Bayern - Real Madrid
Sparta - Milan

25th February 2004

Deportivo - Juventus
Stuttgart - Chelsea
Porto - Man. United
Real Sociedad - Lyon

I personally don't think there will be any upsets. Tomorrow, Monaco, Arsenal, Real Madrid, and Milan should all be able to win. Three of the four games tomorrow feature teams where one team is a lot better than the other, the only one kind of close being Bayern - Real Madrid, but I don't think Bayern will be able to win.

On Wednesday, Juventus gets to play Deportivo La Coruna. Deportivo has a very good side and this one may be close but I think the worst case scenario for Juventus would be a draw. After a stellar start, Stuttgart no longer leads the Bundesliga and will probably lose to Chelsea. Manchester United will not have defenders Rio Ferdinand and Mikael Silvestre for their match against Porto but they are still clearly the better side. Real Sociedad joins Celta Viga as two Spanish teams still in the Champions League even though they are both close to the relegation zone in La Liga. Lyon is one of the best teams in France and this might be a close. I predict a draw in this one.

Way to go Ice

I'm sure all the people who don't know much about soccer will know exactly what you're talking about. And good job on not keeping it boring. :up::goof:

I'll pick AC Milan to win it all. I won't go with the favorite Real Madrid, thats too easy. Plus, Milan has been playing really well ever since they let go of Rivaldo, they're in 1st place in the Italian league.

I think the Champions League is wide open. There are a lot of contenders. I originally thought Manchester United would win it but without Ferdinand I doubt they will. Real Madrid would be an easy choice and they are obviously a favorite. Arsenal has played great all year (they still have not lost a league game) but they never do well in the Champions League.

The first match is already over. Lok Moscow beat Monaco 2-1.
But the most interesting match will start in 20 minutes: Bayern vs Real.
My club Bayern played a poor season until now, but I think they''ll show a good performance today. It's very cold here in Munich, about 24 F, a temperature Madrid is not familiar with. Both questionable players, Kahn and Ballack will be able to play. Bayern is still missing a few key players in the offensive midfield due to long-term injuries, but as a team they have to compensate that.
Go Bayern! :D

Originally posted by Germandolfan
The first match is already over. Lok Moscow beat Monaco 2-1.
But the most interesting match will start in 20 minutes: Bayern vs Real.
My club Bayern played a poor season until now, but I think they''ll show a good performance today. It's very cold here in Munich, about 24 F, a temperature Madrid is not familiar with. Both questionable players, Kahn and Ballack will be able to play. Bayern is still missing a few key players in the offensive midfield due to long-term injuries, but as a team they have to compensate that.
Go Bayern! :D

I really want to see the Bayern/Real Madrid match, but the morons at ESPN have decided to give us the Stuttgart/Chelsea match tomorrow instead. :(

Originally posted by iceblizzard69

I really want to see the Bayern/Real Madrid match, but the morons at ESPN have decided to give us the Stuttgart/Chelsea match tomorrow instead. :(

I wanted to see Bayern/Real as well, but I'm glad with the Stuttgart/Chelsea match. I don't have Fox Sports World, so I have never seen a Bundesliga game in Germany soil. I have Fox Sports Espanol which shows all the garbage leagues from Central America and South America (Argentina is the only good league in Latin America). And occasionally they show English Premiership which is the greatest.

But I'm looking forward to seeing a German team in its house.

It was a great match in Munich. As expected, Bayern played very good today.
They were by far the better team today, but Kahn made a big mistake and thus the result was only 1-1. Lucky Real!
Other results:
Sparta Prague - AC Milan 0-0
Celta Vigo - FC Arsenal 2-3

Originally posted by Dolfan02

I wanted to see Bayern/Real as well, but I'm glad with the Stuttgart/Chelsea match. I don't have Fox Sports World, so I have never seen a Bundesliga game in Germany soil. I have Fox Sports Espanol which shows all the garbage leagues from Central America and South America (Argentina is the only good league in Latin America). And occasionally they show English Premiership which is the greatest.

But I'm looking forward to seeing a German team in its house.

You don't have the English language version of FSW but have the Spanish language one? That's wierd, I actually have the opposite of that.

FSW is a pretty good channel, we get a few EPL games a weekend (usually one or two live and a bunch tape delayed) and 2 live Bundesliga games. We also get a game from Holland, sometimes it is live and sometimes it isn't.

I am happy with FSW, but it isn't enough. :( I wish I had Gol TV, they show a lot of games from La Liga and Serie A.

Good thing that MLS starts in a month. I know it isn't the greatest league, but I like it anyway. Also, with Freddy Adu in the league, it should get a lot more publicity, which the league needs desperately.

It was a great match in Munich. As expected, Bayern played very good today.
They were by far the better team today, but Kahn made a big mistake and thus the result was only 1-1. Lucky Real!
Other results:
Sparta Prague - AC Milan 0-0
Celta Vigo - FC Arsenal 2-3

Good for Bayern. Now all they need is a win in Madrid or a draw where Bayern scores 2 or more goals and they advance. :) I can't stand Real Madrid, so I am definitely supporting Bayern in the second leg.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69

Good for Bayern. Now all they need is a win in Madrid or a draw where Bayern scores 2 or more goals and they advance. :) I can't stand Real Madrid, so I am definitely supporting Bayern in the second leg.

Actually not good for Bayern :). In fact the result pisses me off, because Bayern dominated Real today. I would have saved the freekick by Roberto Carlos that Kahn let in. Anyhow - Kahn has another chance in Madrid to prove himself. I hope he does ;)
Do you get to see the rematch in Madrid?

Actually not good for Bayern :). In fact the result pisses me off, because Bayern dominated Real today. I would have saved the freekick by Roberto Carlos that Kahn let in. Anyhow - Kahn has another chance in Madrid to prove himself. I hope he does ;)
Do you get to see the rematch in Madrid?

I hope I will be able to see it but I am not sure. I think there is a good possibility of that being the match they show, ESPN likes to show Real Madrid and of all the second leg matches, it is probably the biggest one.

Wow, I can breathe with a sigh of relief after that horrible outing Real Madrid showed yesterday.

Bayer dserved to win that game, but Kahn screwed it up.

It's the REAL MADRID aura I tell you :cool:

Honestly though, I doubt Real will win it or even reach the finals this year. They play so bad it's hard to watch. But, I'll be rooting for them anyways!

GO REAL MADRID!!!!! :cool:

Today's Results

Deportivo 1 - 0 Juventus
Stuttgart 0 - 1 Chelsea
Porto 2 - 1 Manchester United
Real Sociedad 0 - 1 Lyon

Man.. Stuttgart totally dominated and manhandled Chelsea.

I cannot Believe they lost on an own goal 1-0. I hope they'll be able to get some scores in the next match. They're a pretty sharp team.

BTW, Stuttgart has some pretty cool fans. Although I have no clue what they're chanting.. its loud, in sync, intimidating, and continuous. I heard light Chelsea chants too. But the Germans surprised me with the chanting... sharp!

Originally posted by Dolfan02
Man.. Stuttgart totally dominated and manhandled Chelsea.

I cannot Believe they lost on an own goal 1-0. I hope they'll be able to get some scores in the next match. They're a pretty sharp team.

BTW, Stuttgart has some pretty cool fans. Although I have no clue what they're chanting.. its loud, in sync, intimidating, and continuous. I heard light Chelsea chants too. But the Germans surprised me with the chanting... sharp!

I was only able to see the second half, but Stuttgart was basically just running into Chelsea's defenders. They should have taken more shots from outside the box.

Back
Top Bottom