Champions League - Round of 16 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Champions League - Round of 16

Do you think that Major League Soccer should merge with the A-League in order to unite soccer fans instead of divided? Do you think it will generate greater benefits in promotion, profits, and a greater fan-base? Is there any way for it to happen? And if Rochester were to get an MLS expansion team, how will it affect the Rochester Rhinos who play in the A-League, shoud the Rhinos BE the expansion team for MLS?

With all the talk about soccer already having the potential to grow and the MLS needing more support to prove in can be a powerhouse... why not unite ALL soccer fans and merge with the A-League and with some of those other US soccer leagues??

I say go for it!

Originally posted by Dolfan02
Do you think that Major League Soccer should merge with the A-League in order to unite soccer fans instead of divided? Do you think it will generate greater benefits in promotion, profits, and a greater fan-base? Is there any way for it to happen? And if Rochester were to get an MLS expansion team, how will it affect the Rochester Rhinos who play in the A-League, shoud the Rhinos BE the expansion team for MLS?

With all the talk about soccer already having the potential to grow and the MLS needing more support to prove in can be a powerhouse... why not unite ALL soccer fans and merge with the A-League and with some of those other US soccer leagues??

I say go for it!

The A-League the is the minor league of the MLS. A-League is lower in quality and there is no fan division. If Rochester got an MLS team, the Rhinos would leave A-League and that would be the MLS team.

Merging the two leagues is a terrible idea. A-League has a very small fanbase outside of Rochester (the only place where people actually go to A-League games). The players are worse in the league, and the best players in the league eventually go to MLS.

Merging MLS and A-League would be like merging MLB and AAA. The only difference between A-League and AAA is that in A-League, teams don't have affiliations with MLS teams. However, there is a huge dropoff in quality between MLS and A-League.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69

The A-League the is the minor league of the MLS. A-League is lower in quality and there is no fan division. If Rochester got an MLS team, the Rhinos would leave A-League and that would be the MLS team.

Merging the two leagues is a terrible idea. A-League has a very small fanbase outside of Rochester (the only place where people actually go to A-League games). The players are worse in the league, and the best players in the league eventually go to MLS.

Merging MLS and A-League would be like merging MLB and AAA. The only difference between A-League and AAA is that in A-League, teams don't have affiliations with MLS teams. However, there is a huge dropoff in quality between MLS and A-League.

Oh ok. But I still think many people consider the A-League to be something equivalent to the MLS. I've heard several people talk about the Vancouver Whitecaps and how much fans they pull in on average per game, I think its like 10,000-12,000. And I heard you say that Rochester pulls in 9000 on average, so that sounds about the same. And some fans have spoken about the Toronto Lynx as something great. I don't know because I've never seen any of the A-League teams. And then they also have the 'Pro Soccer League'. Just why they call it it "Pro", I don't know. And Ajax also has a team in the PDL. So its all a mess. I think the MLS should work together with those other leagues offically in somekind of contract and brandname unification so that all the soccer fans understand that its one big system as opposed to two different systems.

Originally posted by Dolfan02

Oh ok. But I still think many people consider the A-League to be something equivalent to the MLS. I've heard several people talk about the Vancouver Whitecaps and how much fans they pull in on average per game, I think its like 10,000-12,000. And I heard you say that Rochester pulls in 9000 on average, so that sounds about the same. And some fans have spoken about the Toronto Lynx as something great. I don't know because I've never seen any of the A-League teams. And then they also have the 'Pro Soccer League'. Just why they call it it "Pro", I don't know. And Ajax also has a team in the PDL. So its all a mess. I think the MLS should work together with those other leagues offically in somekind of contract and brandname unification so that all the soccer fans understand that its one big system as opposed to two different systems.

PDL = Professional Developmental League

A-League is no where near MLS. No one that is capable of playing in MLS plays in the A-League.

A-League and PDL teams do participate with MLS teams in the US Open Cup. A lot of teams don't really care about the US Open Cup so MLS teams sometimes lose to teams in lesser leagues but it is rare. MLS teams almost always win the US Open Cup even though they don't care about it.

MLS doesn't need to work together with the A-League. It will do absolutely nothing for MLS. That's like saying that the NBA should work with the USBL.

It isn't two different systems. If you are good enough, you play in MLS. If you aren't, you play in the A-League.

Actually Ice, Sociedad is a mid table team now and are nowhere near the relegation battle, but will come up way short against a VERY GOOD Lyon team, who is playing briliantly without Elber. I wouldn't be suprised to see Lyon in a semi final.

ManYoo have a horrible defensive record and are conceeding goals left, right, and center. There is no way the make it past a good team. Porto's abysmal record in England should be enough to see Manyoo thru htis round tho.

Chelsea are missing Duff and Veron, their 2 most creative players and it shows. Stuttgart have good young players, but not enough in the final third of the field to shock Chelsea at the Bridge.

Monaco's late goal in Moscow should be enough for them to go thru to the next round as a 1-0 win in the principality is enough for them to advance. Lot of credit to Loko tho, they haven't played competitively in 5 weeks.

Can not see Munich beating Madrid in the Bernabeu. Will be a close encounter but Real have too much fire power for the Germans.

Sparta are a VERY GOOD defensive team and should play Milan very close again, but inevitably they will not have enough in the way of attacking options and MIlan will prevail, my guess 1-0.

Arsenal are a lock to go thru as Celta area struggling side going to cold London.

juventus are not the same team they were last year, they miss Davids tho they will not admit it. Look for Depor to come out on top in a small upset.

I am a regular on a Chelsea Mboard and this is a take on the CL by an Italian who's knowledge of the game and opinion I respect:

Pauly wote:
If you look at the strength of the squads (and the current points) of the teams chasing the EPL, you can already say that it will finish; Arsenal winners, Chelsea second and Manure a distant third.

I believe that by simply looking at the squads you can narrow the champions league down to only one possible winner, but for the sake of arguing i will say there are 4 teams that could possibly win.

This is the weakest champions league for many many years, and we do have a small chance of winning it - this is what i think of the competition that is left.

1. Man Utd & Juve: Neither have a chance. Decimated squads, Man Utd without Ferdinand will be exactly the same as man utd without Stam. I don't think that any team that is sweating on the fitness of MIKAEL SILVESTRE & WES BROWN can challenge for the cup. Juventus made an error in selling Davids, and it shows. I went to watch them at Bologna a couple of weeks ago, and they looked absolutely horrible. Del Piero plays 4 out of every 5 games indifferently, and is a dead weight on the field and they don't look safe without Antonio Conte on the field - a bad situation. In summary, Neither have the possibility of winning.

2. Monaco, Lyon, Sociedad, Celta, Sparta Prague, Lokomotiv are all second class teams and have no possibility of winning.

3. Bayern Munich, Stuttgart & Depor would be distant outsiders even if the qualified from their current matches which is unlikely. Bayern would have the best chance out of those 3, but i can't see any of them making it past the semi's at best.

4. That leaves remaining: Arsenal, Milan, Madrid & Chelsea. The first 3 more importantly because they are well formed teams that know eachother very well, and then obviously because of the squads. I put us in there, simply because of our squad - the CL is played disjointedly, and is a cup, that is the only reason we stand a chance. But we do have that chance because we have, THANKS TO CLAUDIO RANIERI, a squad that is COMPLETE.

Naturally it is my opinion that Milan are the only eventual winners. (that should guarentee a loss to sparta) But Arsenal are very high on confidence and Madrid are Madrid... with zidane and ronaldo. Milan are the only team with what i think are the two components necessary to go down as one of history's great teams - A complete team (one that defends, holds the ball and attacks with the same genius), AND the individual stars.

This is the direction Chelsea are going, we are not going to be a Madrid, Arsenal or Manure that are great going forward but undoubted have many big weaknesses. We have the complete squad, we just lack a real star player (zidane, nedved, ronaldo etc.)

SO in summary;

Finalists; Milan & Madrid
Semi-Finalists; Milan Madrid, Chelsea, Arsenal.

Pauly

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
Actually Ice, Sociedad is a mid table team now and are nowhere near the relegation battle, but will come up way short against a VERY GOOD Lyon team, who is playing briliantly without Elber. I wouldn't be suprised to see Lyon in a semi final.

ManYoo have a horrible defensive record and are conceeding goals left, right, and center. There is no way the make it past a good team. Porto's abysmal record in England should be enough to see Manyoo thru htis round tho.

Chelsea are missing Duff and Veron, their 2 most creative players and it shows. Stuttgart have good young players, but not enough in the final third of the field to shock Chelsea at the Bridge.

Monaco's late goal in Moscow should be enough for them to go thru to the next round as a 1-0 win in the principality is enough for them to advance. Lot of credit to Loko tho, they haven't played competitively in 5 weeks.

Can not see Munich beating Madrid in the Bernabeu. Will be a close encounter but Real have too much fire power for the Germans.

Sparta are a VERY GOOD defensive team and should play Milan very close again, but inevitably they will not have enough in the way of attacking options and MIlan will prevail, my guess 1-0.

Arsenal are a lock to go thru as Celta area struggling side going to cold London.

juventus are not the same team they were last year, they miss Davids tho they will not admit it. Look for Depor to come out on top in a small upset.

Sociedad is only 4 points away from the relegation zone. There are a lot of teams between them and the drop zone though. Celta Vigo, on the other hand, is in serious danger of getting relegated.

I agree with a lot of what you said. Man United has played terribly without Ferdinand and they have no chance at winning the EPL without him. I did say they would win at Porto, and I was wrong. I think they might have trouble even advancing because their defense is playing like **** and they aren't scoring many goals either.

Back
Top Bottom