"Charles Clay is among the biggest 'offensive nightmare matchups'" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Charles Clay is among the biggest 'offensive nightmare matchups'"

SCLSU Mud Dogs

Foosball is the devil
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Thought some of these were interesting. Mostly fantasy perspective here but some interesting stuff, too.

NFL sources told ESPN's Field Yates that Charles Clay is among the biggest "offensive nightmare matchups."
There's a bit of hyperbole going on here as Clay is joined on Yates' list by the likes of Calvin Johnson, Jimmy Graham, Adrian Peterson, Rob Gronkowski etc. But it speaks to the underrated real-life value Clay brings to the Dolphins as a versatile pass-catcher (69-759-6 last season), blocker and situational ball carrier. However, fantasy owners should be wary of a statistical regression as new OC Bill Lazor focuses more on the run game and getting Mike Wallace involved.Jul 16 - 9:51 AM

Dolphins WR Rishard Matthews is "at serious risk" of not making the team.
Matthews has struggled during the early part of camp, and is no higher than the No. 5 receiver. He's competing with Armon Binns, Damian Williams and converted RB Marcus Thigpen for one or two spots. Miami has privately questioned Matthews' focus in the past, and he recently admitted to being late to team meetings. Releasing Matthews would create $556,597 in 2014 cap space. Jul 26 - 7:38 PM

According to the Miami Herald, "there's a hope in Dolphins camp" that Lamar Miller "can play the role of LeSean 'Shady' McCoy" in new OC Bill Lazor's offense.
Lazor spent 2013 on Chip Kelly's staff as Philly led the NFL in rushing and yards per carry (5.1). Miller lacks McCoy's lateral explosiveness, but he is a speed back who's dangerous in space. Earlier in July, Miller met with McCoy to discuss "how to thrive in the system Lazor has brought from Philly to South Florida," and also watched Shady's game tape. Per beat writer Adam Beasley, Miller "has been clearly ahead" of Knowshon Moreno "every step of the way." "He looks good, he looks stronger than he’s ever been," said coach Joe Philbin of Miller, who gained 6-8 pounds of offseason muscle. "I don’t think he’s sacrificed any speed whatsoever." Miller is shaping up as a potential steal at his seventh-round ADP. Jul 27 - 7:05 PM

Mike Wallace has been moving around the formation and lining up on both sides during training camp.
"I think I’ll get to run everything," Wallace said. "I’ll be able to be a complete receiver instead of a one-dimensional guy." After running mostly go routes down the right sideline under old OC Mike Sherman, Wallace is "running a variety of patterns" under new play caller Bill Lazor. Wallace is currently being drafted as a WR3, but we like his odds for having a bounce-back breakout year.Jul 27 - 11:20 AM

From rotoworld.com

Clay is pretty much easily our best player on offense. It would be wise to get that extension done asap.

Clay is pretty much easily our best player on offense. .

If this is true, then we might as well consider this season a lost cause. He's a nice player, maybe even a good one, but he isn't someone you build anything around.

Miller doesn't have the same shiftiness and vision that McCoy has... All he can do is run straight and fast. Don't expect a Shady-like season for him

If this is true, then we might as well consider this season a lost cause. He's a nice player, maybe even a good one, but he isn't someone you build anything around.

Locking in a talented player before he demands WAY more money = building around him?

Locking in a talented player before he demands WAY more money = building around him?

I was referring to the claim that he's our best player on offense, which is generally who you build around, but I'll concede that it's not necessarily the case. But the point still stands, if we're talking about Clay being this vital piece of the offense that we must retain at all costs, then our offense doesn't have much to begin with.

If Clay can produce this year for the whole year the way he did in the second half of last year... then he'll be worth the big $$. I still need to see that, though. Resigning him now would be a case of buying high on a guy who gave you at most half of a great season. I thought it was more of a good to really good season than a great one, but everyone's mileage may vary.

He might cost more in a year but there's probably a better chance that he'll cost less. In either case we'll know what he's worth, whereas right now it's a projection.

I was referring to the claim that he's our best player on offense, which is generally who you build around, but I'll concede that it's not necessarily the case. But the point still stands, if we're talking about Clay being this vital piece of the offense that we must retain at all costs, then our offense doesn't have much to begin with.

"At all costs?" Why keep overstating it. Nobody's saying give him the keys to the treasury, its simply implied that it would be a good idea to sign him now before he gets more expensive, since he's a talent and so far, reliable. I'd have to agree.

As for him being the best player on the offense, he may be, but it's debatable. He was certainly one of the bigger playmakers we had last year on offense. Our offensive "line" doesn't have much to begin with, or the RBs, but the QB/WRs/TE are good.

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

If Clay can produce this year for the whole year the way he did in the second half of last year... then he'll be worth the big $$. I still need to see that, though. Resigning him now would be a case of buying high on a guy who gave you at most half of a great season. I thought it was more of a good to really good season than a great one, but everyone's mileage may vary.

He might cost more in a year but there's probably a better chance that he'll cost less. In either case we'll know what he's worth, whereas right now it's a projection.

Very possible, especially considering the new system that likes to feature WRs/RBs. Great players have a way of making themselves useful/valuable though, so if he can manage it this year, he's gonna get expensive quick.

Very possible, especially considering the new system that likes to feature WRs/RBs. Great players have a way of making themselves useful/valuable though, so if he can manage it this year, he's gonna get expensive quick.

A worthwhile gamble.

A worthwhile gamble.

I would have no problems locking Clay into a 5-year, $25 million contract. If he has the season many of us are expecting — he could demand $8 million on the open market.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-top100-2014/0ap2000000350283/Luke-Kuechly

I can't watch this video at work, but isn't that Luke Kuechly that says Clay is a guy you always need to account for? That's one of the best linebackers in the NFL singing Clay's praises. I take a lot of merit in that.

I'd also imagine with a new coordinator this year, Clay will have a lot of opportunities with the WRs running all over creation.

Clay is a great player he did what he did last year while being keyed on. I think it was the pats? But there was a team that sold out to stop him. Doubled him the whole game which opened up opportunities for everyone else. Doesnt lazer utilize TEs alot? I seem to remember that thus egnew might be useful too

I would have no problems locking Clay into a 5-year, $25 million contract. If he has the season many of us are expecting — he could demand $8 million on the open market.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-top100-2014/0ap2000000350283/Luke-Kuechly

I can't watch this video at work, but isn't that Luke Kuechly that says Clay is a guy you always need to account for? That's one of the best linebackers in the NFL singing Clay's praises. I take a lot of merit in that.

I'd also imagine with a new coordinator this year, Clay will have a lot of opportunities with the WRs running all over creation.

Many more things can happen that drive down his price tag -- injuries, lethargy, defenses keying on him, offensive scheme not featuring him as much -- than can happen that would drive it up (having a great season). Look at the price we paid giving Reshad Jones an early deal. People were celebrating, calling Ireland a genius for doing it early because Reshad was on his way to being one of the great safeties. That should have been a lesson learned for Dolphinland.

Anyway, if Clay has a killer season despite the obstacles facing him, then he'll be worth the bigger price tag and I'll be happy to see him resigned. Not to mention we'll have gotten another year out of him on a 6th round salary. The only way signing him early is the right move is if you're sure he's going to become elite. Are you really sure that's going to happen? And from his perspective, even if he signs a relatively small deal and then drastically outplays it, he'll merely hold out for a better deal.

Back
Top Bottom