Charles Harris Comparison | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Charles Harris Comparison

I watched it. He's not a perfect player, but I saw him get doubled teamed a lot, I saw quick pressure resulting in quick throws that fell incomplete and I saw several rollouts away from him.
LSU Oline was gashing the Missouri interior defense with the running game, which partially neutralizes outside speed rushers.
LSU was the better team, but that doesn't reflect on him.

Only if we had a better qb throwing at him.......

If i had to take devante parker all over again in the first round i would.....The only thing that can prevent him from been a superstar is injuries.

Orrrrrrrrrr, the fact that he doesn't like drinking water, that result in petty muscle pulls that keep him out of games, might be the reason he's been unproductive. He needs to grow up and be a professional.

It seems that finheaven is split 50/50 on Charles Harris. The half of us that are upset are saying that he's too slow, or that we need to get a 3 down player in the 1st, or he's just situational, among other things. I am not a fan who thinks that everything the Dolphins do is correct and I am not a "I trust this regime more than the last one" fan. I, as a lot of you, really wanted to take a chance on Reuben Foster when he dropped to us. Many of you are upset at not taking Foster as much as it is not liking Harris, which is exactly how I felt after the pick. Foster's medical re-check must have been alarming because there is no way that he would have lasted to pick 29 if not. A healthy Reuben Foster goes in the top 10. For those of you who argue about Harris being a situational player, a counter argument can be made that there is a likelihood of Foster being a 1 contract player or missing significant time each year, which would also make him a part time player. Now, not all of you are upset about it not being Foster because I think the fans who are upset that Forrest Lamp would be a starter from day 1, have a valid argument. Only time will tell whether Lamp turns out to be an impact player. I will say that a guard will potentially play more than a pass rusher but a pass rusher can effect the game on 3 or 4 plays and be just as impactful. A strip/sack is a single play that can easily alter a game. Now, if Miami does not do anything to help the offensive line later in the draft or after June cuts, it will be a potentially different story. Yesterday morning, Haasan Reddick was my player that I really hoped would fall to us but if you told me that we would draft Charles Harris, I would have been happy. I want to make a player comparison to hopefully make some of the upset fans feel a little bit better about the pick.
Charles Harris reminds me of Aldon Smith, and not just because they both went to Missouri. The both had similar production at Mizzou. Smith had 14.5 sack in 2 years and Harris had 18 in 3 years. Both have eerily similar measurables and numbers posted at the combine. The biggest difference being that Smith's arms are 3 inches longer as well as his broad jump and vert are a bit longer and higher, which is a measurement of explosion. Harris's 20 yard shuttle was slightly faster. Now, Smith led the league in sacks over his first 2 years in the NFL with 33.5, 14 and 19.5. If Harris can get 8 and 12 sacks his first 2 seasons, I think most fans would be ok with that production.
Aldon Smith was also considered a situational player because, much like Harris, was not a very good run defender. Even though they are considered situational, they can have a tremendous impact on a game.
I just hope Harris does not have the same off the field problems that Smith had, which I think would be highly unlikely.

I am not trying to look at this situation with rose colored glasses. It would be nice for some of the negativity to not exist. I completely understand being upset, I just want to also show that there is a possibility of upside with this pick.

I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on this.

Great post, very even keeled and measured response.

Some points you made that really stood out to me:
- Yes, I think a large part of people's disappointment has to do with passing on Foster, who is the player I wanted as well. But when you see a guy make it all the way to the 31st pick, you have to believe that there are reasons for the slide, nearly every team in the league passed on the guy.

- People say that Harris is only a "situational pass rusher", but I think that misses the point. He can step in as a situational pass rusher from day 1, with potential to be much more. Also, when it comes to the "situation" of passing in the NFL, it happens to be a situation that comes up rather often, this is a passing league.

- You make a good point about impact plays; if Harris can cause turnovers and create sacks he can have a big impact on the game with a relative small amount of snaps. Everyone loves Cam Wake, and I am on that list as well, but he's not the best run stopper and can disappear from games time to time, but he makes big plays in the big moments and that's what counts.

- I like the Smith comparison for one reason you didn't mention, Aldon Smith is a guy that developed his game as a pro, I don't understand why people think that what a guy is in college is all he will ever be.

I'll let you no in 2 years to who he compare's with

Only if we had a better qb throwing at him.......

If i had to take devante parker all over again in the first round i would.....The only thing that can prevent him from been a superstar is injuries.

Don't even start this bull****

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

I'll let you no in 2 years to who he compare's with

I'll be anxiously awaiting your take.

It seems that finheaven is split 50/50 on Charles Harris. The half of us that are upset are saying that he's too slow, or that we need to get a 3 down player in the 1st, or he's just situational, among other things. I am not a fan who thinks that everything the Dolphins do is correct and I am not a "I trust this regime more than the last one" fan. I, as a lot of you, really wanted to take a chance on Reuben Foster when he dropped to us. Many of you are upset at not taking Foster as much as it is not liking Harris, which is exactly how I felt after the pick. Foster's medical re-check must have been alarming because there is no way that he would have lasted to pick 29 if not. A healthy Reuben Foster goes in the top 10. For those of you who argue about Harris being a situational player, a counter argument can be made that there is a likelihood of Foster being a 1 contract player or missing significant time each year, which would also make him a part time player. Now, not all of you are upset about it not being Foster because I think the fans who are upset that Forrest Lamp would be a starter from day 1, have a valid argument. Only time will tell whether Lamp turns out to be an impact player. I will say that a guard will potentially play more than a pass rusher but a pass rusher can effect the game on 3 or 4 plays and be just as impactful. A strip/sack is a single play that can easily alter a game. Now, if Miami does not do anything to help the offensive line later in the draft or after June cuts, it will be a potentially different story. Yesterday morning, Haasan Reddick was my player that I really hoped would fall to us but if you told me that we would draft Charles Harris, I would have been happy. I want to make a player comparison to hopefully make some of the upset fans feel a little bit better about the pick.
Charles Harris reminds me of Aldon Smith, and not just because they both went to Missouri. The both had similar production at Mizzou. Smith had 14.5 sack in 2 years and Harris had 18 in 3 years. Both have eerily similar measurables and numbers posted at the combine. The biggest difference being that Smith's arms are 3 inches longer as well as his broad jump and vert are a bit longer and higher, which is a measurement of explosion. Harris's 20 yard shuttle was slightly faster. Now, Smith led the league in sacks over his first 2 years in the NFL with 33.5, 14 and 19.5. If Harris can get 8 and 12 sacks his first 2 seasons, I think most fans would be ok with that production.
Aldon Smith was also considered a situational player because, much like Harris, was not a very good run defender. Even though they are considered situational, they can have a tremendous impact on a game.
I just hope Harris does not have the same off the field problems that Smith had, which I think would be highly unlikely.

I am not trying to look at this situation with rose colored glasses. It would be nice for some of the negativity to not exist. I completely understand being upset, I just want to also show that there is a possibility of upside with this pick.

I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on this.

I'm a little perplexed in relation to the Dolphins stated philosophy of picking BPA?

I don't claim to be an expert on every player...but was C. Harris really the BPA available at that pick?

There were some excellent names on the board which makes me wonder with the questionable combine numbers and how he has struggled against some big tackles.

I think Mayock acually had Harris as the third best DE....behind Garrett and Allen...ahead of Barnett.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt...But Grier owns this pick and passing on Watt, Foster, Peppers, some excellent safties...etc etc....could easily come back to bite him if Harris doesn't excel!

With the question marks on Harris physically...Grier should be fired if several of the obvious turn out great and Harris flops.

I'm a little perplexed in relation to the Dolphins stated philosophy of picking BPA?

I don't claim to be an expert on every player...but was C. Harris really the BPA available at that pick?

There were some excellent names on the board which makes me wonder with the questionable combine numbers and how he has struggled against some big tackles.

I think Mayock acually had Harris as the third best DE....behind Garrett and Allen...ahead of Barnett.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt...But Grier owns this pick and passing on Watt, Foster, Peppers, some excellent safties...etc etc....could easily come back to bite him if Harris doesn't excel!

With the question marks on Harris physically...Grier should be fired if several of the obvious turn out great and Harris flops.

You could say th same for any player. IF they flop blah blah blahs in trouble. Not saying much.

Back
Top Bottom