Christian Ponder's arm strength center stage at Florida State's pro day | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Christian Ponder's arm strength center stage at Florida State's pro day

I'll admit it i am starting to get a man crush on Ponder the more i read and the more film i watch. At this point if we leave this draft with both a QB and RB in the first 3 rounds i will be happy as long as one of their last names is Ponder, Mallet, or Ingram.

If we miss out on all three and take Kaepernick(since apparently we love him so much), and some lesser RB prospect i will be physically ill.

I heard on NFL Network today that his shoulder is healed and is not an issue anymore.
I think his stock is about to sky rocket. Glad to hear his health is checking out. I never doubted it, thought it was made to be a bigger deal than it was.

My preference would be Mallett at 15. Second option would be to trade down to the mid 20's and take Ponder.
He won't last past the 1st 5 picks in the 2nd rd.
His stock is rising as the draft approaches.

If he can throw at least 20 yards farther than Pennington then i would seriously take a long look at him.

If he can throw at least 20 yards farther than Pennington then i would seriously take a long look at him.
Pennington can throw 50 yards (not really hard to do). It just floats like a butterfly.

i'd rather take ponder then mallet at 15 o_O
I like both. I like Ponder more because his past is clean as a whistle, and there are absolutely no questions about his work ethic. I think by draft day, Ponder at 15 will be a bargain.

I think his stock is about to sky rocket. Glad to hear his health is checking out. I never doubted it, thought it was made to be a bigger deal than it was.

I had reservations, but im glad to see he's healed up and looks good. From the few highlights i saw of his pro-day, the ball does seem to have alot of his old velocity. Sadly, he only threw around 40 passes at his pro-day, but i believe that was due to having running backs and a retired NFL wideout to throw to. Admittedly, that retired player was Isaac Bruce, so hardly a bad option.

Many people rushed to judgement after seeing him in the senior bowl. Its quick to forget the man had surgery a mere two or three weeks before new years. So what, 2 months before he started that game? He only won the MVP award with a nagging arm.
He has now shown he can make all the throws required. His arm strenght isnt a problem. His accuracy isnt a problem. His intelligence isnt a problem. Vision isnt a problem. And he has the best footwork of any QB in this class. So, why shouldn't we draft this kid?

Worst case scenario: hes Chad Pennington with a stronger arm. Would that be a bad thing?

I had reservations, but im glad to see he's healed up and looks good. From the few highlights i saw of his pro-day, the ball does seem to have alot of his old velocity. Sadly, he only threw around 40 passes at his pro-day, but i believe that was due to having running backs and a retired NFL wideout to throw to. Admittedly, that retired player was Isaac Bruce, so hardly a bad option.

Many people rushed to judgement after seeing him in the senior bowl. Its quick to forget the man had surgery a mere two or three weeks before new years. So what, 2 months before he started that game? He only won the MVP award with a nagging arm.
He has now shown he can make all the throws required. His arm strenght isnt a problem. His accuracy isnt a problem. His intelligence isnt a problem. Vision isnt a problem. And he has the best footwork of any QB in this class. So, why shouldn't we draft this kid?

Worst case scenario: hes Chad Pennington with a stronger arm. Would that be a bad thing?
Well said. Hey isn't Chad Pennington with a stronger arm and much better mobility a pro-bowl caliber player?

Well said. Hey isn't Chad Pennington with a stronger arm and much better mobility a pro-bowl caliber player?

Chad Pennington with a stronger arm and mobility, while throwing to Brandon Marshall and being protected by Jake Long? Id imagine so.

^
All that plus he's shown an ability to run a complicated pro-style offense, more than can be said for most of the QBs in this class.

I don't know if Ponder will ever showcase the kind of accuracy that Pennington has showcased throughout his career, but I can live with a little decrease in accuracy, but more velocity and mobility from the QB spot. The health of the arm is the concern and by all accounts it doesn't seem to be a concern. If Miami wants this guy, they better have a top 25 pick and not get cute with trading down to far. Seattle at 25 is very possible.

I have been saying for months if Ponder can show his arm and shoulder are healthy he will be a first round pick. I agree with Kdawg that he will not make it past Seattle at 25. I would love to see Miami move back 5to 7 picks and still be able to get him, but would not be upset one bit if they can't or don't think they would get him and take him at #15. Ponder is smart and would lean the playbook quickly and could be the starter day one.

Back
Top Bottom