Commentary: How much does Ricky have left? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: How much does Ricky have left?

I don't believe for one second that Ricky is nearing his end. If he can stay un-injured, I easily see him going solid for another 5-7 years. I will agree that he was overused the last 2 years but he is still young enough where if we don't overuse him from this point on I think he'll be ok.

The Eddie George thing kinda worries me. I remember his first few years in the league compared to what he is now. The only thing I can come up with is that having to face Ray Lewis twice, sometimes, three times per season just wore on his body. The ravens D has been really good for the most part since he's been in the league.

Think of all the times George got smacked around by the ravens D, steelers D, etc. I can't recall Ricky taking too many HARD hits the past 2 years except against Philly and maybe Baltimore. I don't see Ricky taking the same kind of punishement that George took in Tennessee, or playing on the bad surfaces (Veteran's Stadium in Philly) that Smith played on during his career. Emmitt played at least 9 games per year during his career on turf. I'm sure that wore on him. Hopefully we're looking at Rickys best years still ahead of him.

Well thought out and well written argument. I think Ricky's conditioning will play a huge role. Players like Payton, Smith, Rice etc. have proven that you can have a very long career if you keep yourself in peak conditioning. Ricky seems to be cut from that same mold. He is a warrior when it comes to his regiment.

I hope we can get three more years out of him.

Good job.

That was, without a doubt, one of the best articles I have yet to read anywhere. The comparisons to the other running backs were top notch, and the usage of stats was done nicely. There wasn't any glaring opinionated comments in it, which made it sound much more like an article that it is rather than a rant, which of course we've all seen plenty on this forum.

I have to say, that was well worth the time reading it. The last few lines actually made me depressed for a few minutes. :(

But if the passing game can’t take pressure off Ricky as the season goes on, and the coaching staff is reluctant to give Travis Minor and Leonard Henry some work, this could easily be the year that breaks Ricky, whether by injury or a slide to ineffectiveness.

If so, then the bad old days could be back much sooner than we expected.
So true, and so sad. :shakeno:

midwest_phinfan said:
I don't believe for one second that Ricky is nearing his end. If he can stay un-injured, I easily see him going solid for another 5-7 years. I will agree that he was overused the last 2 years but he is still young enough where if we don't overuse him from this point on I think he'll be ok.

The Eddie George thing kinda worries me. I remember his first few years in the league compared to what he is now. The only thing I can come up with is that having to face Ray Lewis twice, sometimes, three times per season just wore on his body. The ravens D has been really good for the most part since he's been in the league.

Think of all the times George got smacked around by the ravens D, steelers D, etc. I can't recall Ricky taking too many HARD hits the past 2 years except against Philly and maybe Baltimore. I don't see Ricky taking the same kind of punishement that George took in Tennessee, or playing on the bad surfaces (Veteran's Stadium in Philly) that Smith played on during his career. Emmitt played at least 9 games per year during his career on turf. I'm sure that wore on him. Hopefully we're looking at Rickys best years still ahead of him.

I totally disagree. It's not only the hard hits that Ricky takes, but also the obscene amount of carries he's logging. Ricky has taken some shots. The reason it seems like he hasn't taken that many big ones is because he's so big and strong. Lesser men would have fallen down, fallen harder, not gotten up, and missed games. But he keeps chugging along, injury and all. Yes, Ricky has bad knees. He's suffered shoulder injuries the past two season, requiring surgery last spring (after "seperating" his shoulder around Week 4 of '02) and playing thru severe pain this year. He was often injured his first three years in the league, badly injuring his ankle as a rookie and breaking his foot in Week 10 the second year. And he played on the turf of the Superdome in New Orleans.

The fact is, the shelf life for runners like Ricky isn't that long. He's a tough, physical, inside runner who gets nearly 400 carries a year. If he can still play at this level at age 30, he will be bucking the trend. Especially if he's used like he was in '03 (no rest) as opposed to '02 (Robert Edwards plays often in the 1st half of the season).

thankin you ninjaman :up:

That was a great article to read but Im not happy with what it said because its all right.. BUT if Ricky doesn't have a major injury like most of those other RBs did then I think we can have 2/3 more solid years of RW - top 8 rusher in the league.His workout ethic and mental toughness make me think he's gonna have that extra fuel in the tank.. Its really all based on serious and nagging injuries that decides how much he has left.

Muck said:
Yes, Ricky has bad knees. He's suffered shoulder injuries the past two season, requiring surgery last spring (after "seperating" his shoulder around Week 4 of '02) and playing thru severe pain this year. He was often injured his first three years in the league, badly injuring his ankle as a rookie and breaking his foot in Week 10 the second year. And he played on the turf of the Superdome in New Orleans.
um.......yea....these types of injuries :down:

midwest_phinfan said:

Total denial..Ricky is human and we have been over using him. He can't keep taking this kind of pounding. Campbell, whom Ricky is most compared seem like he would last forever as big as he was and so did Bettis. But eventually the pounding takes it's toll and we will see Ricky have to end his remarkable career, much like Marino...We need to let Henry take some of the load, i think this kid have what it takes..

MDFINFAN said:
Total denial..Ricky is human and we have been over using him. He can't keep taking this kind of pounding. Campbell, whom Ricky is most compared seem like he would last forever as big as he was and so did Bettis. But eventually the pounding takes it's toll and we will see Ricky have to end his remarkable career, much like Marino...We need to let Henry take some of the load, i think this kid have what it takes..
Do you think this "kid" has what it takes to one day fill the huge shoes of Ricky Williams as a primary back for our team? Im not sold yet, but im hoping.

3 more years of Fantastic Ricky running.. After that, he'll more than likely be an above average RB but nothing like now.

Just the way I see it.

The frustrating part is seeing the wasted years when it was Jay/Ricky. If Feeley/Ricky doesn't pan out, then Williams will be going south in two years, assuming injury doesn't get him first.

fin-atic said:
I think Ricky's conditioning will play a huge role. Players like Payton, Smith, Rice etc. have proven that you can have a very long career if you keep yourself in peak conditioning. Ricky seems to be cut from that same mold. He is a warrior when it comes to his regiment.
Does part of keeping in peak condition mean taking ganja hits? :eek: Gooooo Ricky!

"Does part of keeping in peak condition mean taking ganja hits?"

If you read the third sentence from the bottom of the article, it says that 43% of RBs end there career due to glaucoma...he is practicing preventive medicine.jk..lol

MDFINFAN said:

Not total denial, just partial. I guess the little dolphin fan in me wishes that ricky could run healthy for another 7 years but I guess thats kinda unrealistic considering the shelf-life of NFL running backs.

The thing that bothers me about how he is used is that when Minor steps in the offense doesn't lose that much. The Philly game last year when ricky went out for a little while Minor actually performed well, he had a touchdown. Minor's career YPC isn't that bad.

Now of course Ricky is a better back than Minor, but Ricky is without a doubt overused. Hopefully Dave & Co. will realize this finally cut back Rickys carries to right about 400, maybe a little less. Give the ball to Minor, Henry, Russell (if he makes the team), and even Konrad. People forget that Konrad was a pretty good running back in college carrying the football. Share the load, give ricky 5-6 less carries per game, I personally don't think the offense would suffer that much if at all. Now if Ricky needs to be in the game, ie goalline late in the game, or running the clock situation, you leave him in. But give the guy a rest every once-in-a while.

Back
Top Bottom