Commentary: How much does Ricky have left? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: How much does Ricky have left?

fin-atic said:
Well thought out and well written argument. I think Ricky's conditioning will play a huge role. Players like Payton, Smith, Rice etc. have proven that you can have a very long career if you keep yourself in peak conditioning. Ricky seems to be cut from that same mold. He is a warrior when it comes to his regiment.

I hope we can get three more years out of him.

Good job.

Yes, I'm sure at the very least, we will see 2-3 more years of "top notch" Ricky Williams.

We really should give Minor more carries. Take some of the load off of Ricky. I don't want to see the same thing happen to Ricky, that happened to Dan. Have a great career with nothing to show for it. I want Ricky to get his ring. It's now or never for the Dolphins. I'm going to be very dissapointed if we don't at least make a superbowl appearance within the next two years.

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback so far for my first article!

Believe me, I hope I'm wrong and I hope Ricky does buck the trend. But I would bet against him having more than two really good years. Remember that all those guys were workout warriors. Earl Campbell looked pretty chiseled at the end of his career too. Whether Ricky slides into being an above-average, then average back, or whether his production falls off a cliff is anyone's guess at that point; that's something that the numbers don't tell us. But if I'm running the Phins (and God willing, someday I will ;) ), we're taking a long look at Tyrone Moss in the 2006 draft.

For those who got a little bummed, if it helps, my next article is a lot more upbeat. :)

Great work, Phil.

It's hard to argue with those stats. And this is one instance where the Dolphins' consistent winning record over the past decade has hurt us -- we haven't been in the best draft position to reload at the skill positions.

Stop me if you've heard this one before, but the new offensive line's performance will be key here.

Dolphinizzle said:
Yes, I'm sure at the very least, we will see 2-3 more years of "top notch" Ricky Williams.

We really should give Minor more carries. Take some of the load off of Ricky. I don't want to see the same thing happen to Ricky, that happened to Dan. Have a great career with nothing to show for it. I want Ricky to get his ring. It's now or never for the Dolphins. I'm going to be very dissapointed if we don't at least make a superbowl appearance within the next two years.

Now you know why some of us are so "militant" about the team not making the moves it needs to win now. More than Ricky not getting a ring, how about guys like Zach, Madison, and Jason who have been here since day one and have gone to war for us. They really deserve it.

Emmitt had an OL and a QB that did the job Ricky hasn't had that the last two years.
In 2002 he surprised and the OL overachieved but last year when defences focused on him it was a disaster, we were lucky he wasn't injured.
My question is, why would you play for a team that is killing you, you can see why the best running back ever Sanders just walked away.
I know you don't like to hear this but the fins offence reminds me of detroit in Sanders years, only one man.

fin-atic said:
Now you know why some of us are so "militant" about the team not making the moves it needs to win now. More than Ricky not getting a ring, how about guys like Zach, Madison, and Jason who have been here since day one and have gone to war for us. They really deserve it.

Our defense deserves ten rings for what they do for us. :D

We've only continued to be in contention because of these guys. Hopefully we have the peices in place for all our boys to get their rings. One can only hope that happens. And happens real soon.

Excellent article. Like most fans, I hope that Ricky has a couple more stellar seasons, and that we can take the SB in that time. Unfortunately, playing Minor and Henry more is only a small part prolonging Ricky's career. The biggest key for Ricky is getting a passing threat going. Until opponents have to respect the pass, Ricky will take excessive carries and punishing hits. A good OL is also critical, but without that passing game, LB's still track Ricky almost exclusively, so even if he has a clean hole to run through, he is still far more likely to get clocked by a big hitter on the other side. Of course, if we can't improve these areas, then we MUST rest Ricky much more than we are now.

how can he know how well ricky is gunna do? all hes doing is comparing him to all these other backs, ricky has gone uninjured for this long, i think he still has alot of fuel left:cool:

phunwin said:
Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback so far for my first article!

Believe me, I hope I'm wrong and I hope Ricky does buck the trend. But I would bet against him having more than two really good years. Remember that all those guys were workout warriors. Earl Campbell looked pretty chiseled at the end of his career too. Whether Ricky slides into being an above-average, then average back, or whether his production falls off a cliff is anyone's guess at that point; that's something that the numbers don't tell us. But if I'm running the Phins (and God willing, someday I will ;) ), we're taking a long look at Tyrone Moss in the 2006 draft.

For those who got a little bummed, if it helps, my next article is a lot more upbeat. :)
what college does tyrone moss play for?

Very interesting article. I think the difference between Ricky and the rest is the way he takes care of himself. Not only is he fanatical about working out, his nutrition(which is extremely important) is a huge part of his success. But we all agree that Ricky needs to have more of a balance passing game to offset the pounding his body takes. I believe Ricky can pass Emmitts record if he is not abused in the next couple of years.

Drfletcherdc said:
I believe Ricky can pass Emmitts record if he is not abused in the next couple of years.

I hate to play the "rain on the parade" role, but let's be realistic.

Emmitt Smith - 17,418 rushing yards (we'll assume for the moment that Emmitt will not rush for any yards in 2004)
Ricky Williams - 6,354 rushing yards

Even if Ricky totals 3000 yards over the next two years (an impressive average of 1,500), that leaves him just over 8,000 yards short at the age of 29. Without researching it much, I can say confidently that no RB in NFL history has ever sniffed that many yards after their 29th birthday. Smith ran for 6184, and Payton ran for 6522. And I'll bet my left arm that no one else is within 1000 yards of them.

Back
Top Bottom