[Commentary] The Myth of Multiple Suitors: How Daunte is shooting himself in the foot | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[Commentary] The Myth of Multiple Suitors: How Daunte is shooting himself in the foot

Personally, I think you guys are wrong. Culpepper is no rocket scientist, but the guy isn't brain dead either.

I think Culpepper knows exactly what he's doing. In fact, I'm willing to bet (and I am not a gambler) he already has an under-the-table agreement in hand with someone. He'll be signed by that someone within 48hrs of hsi release (a slight delay, possibly, just so it is not obvious).

I don't agree with Culpepper's side here, but the reality is that Miami is going to have to release him and get nothing. They should have cut their losses a week or so ago and forgone all this circus. But alas, that's a theory that I won't continue to beat like a dead horse.

If that is true, then I hope the Dolphins hold onto Culpepper until the last possible moment.

I respectfully disagree with the commentary.

Why would any team that is willing to trade for DC not want to sign him as soon as he is released?

Whatever team wants to sign him is surely not signing him to be a starter immediately, since DC himself said he is not fully healthy yet. His health status also makes him a risk as a backup since he may not be healthy for the start of the season, so whichever team signs him will be signing him as a "project" type player to sit on their roster to see if he can ever become the player that he once was. Since he will not be counted on to produce quickly with his new team signing him later rather than sooner has a minimal affect on said team.

Thanks for your response. Remember, I said this was an atypical situation. I think if a team is considering Culpepper as a starter, they will want to trade for him and be able to monitor his progress as soon as possible. The longer teams have to wait to acquire him, the less they'll be interested in acquiring him at all -- in my opinion.

And a general response to several posters -- I don't think Culpepper is stupid. I question the wisdom (and that's difference than intelligence: ask any Dungeons & Dragons player) of any athlete acting as his own agent.

hey at the end of the day they are treating culpepper like shid, didn't the fins learn from the titans with mcnair, the chiefs with green, they atleast let them on the practice field, to let culpepper come out to practice and then call him of the field, thats was embarassing, the brass knew they weren't going to let him practice, hey c-pep will get picked up and i hope he does well

Green was allowed to practice. McNair was not allowed in the facility. Culpepper's treatment is somewhere in between those two.

Maybe Daunte should call Drew Rosenhaus. He lives in Miami doesn't he? Drew got T.O. a huge deal last year. Daunte should forget about the agent fee. That might be recouped if the agent gets a good deal for him.

Thanks for your response. Remember, I said this was an atypical situation. I think if a team is considering Culpepper as a starter, they will want to trade for him and be able to monitor his progress as soon as possible. The longer teams have to wait to acquire him, the less they'll be interested in acquiring him at all -- in my opinion.

And a general response to several posters -- I don't think Culpepper is stupid. I question the wisdom (and that's difference than intelligence: ask any Dungeons & Dragons player) of any athlete acting as his own agent.

Nice signature of Juggernaut there. If Reagan checked out Finheaven, I'm sure he'd like it. Hopefully, he's looking like Juggernaut after his strength and conditioning training this summer. I'd like to see him lean and mean by the time the season starts. :up:

I like Dr. Z's work, but I'm not buying this one.

St. Louis has openly stated they would pursue Culpepper IF he was released. Further saying they would not trade for him.

Therefore, Jacksonville only has leverage IF they can trade for him. Which begs the question, "why would you trade for a player that doesn't want to play for you?".

As long as Miami keeps Culpepper, Jacksonville has a shot. Not too mention, let's not oversimply the FO's viewpoint. IF they have the ability to recoup a draft given for TG (regardless of it's value), they will try to do so. As so many of you love to say "it's a business". The problem is when push comes to shove. At some point, keeping Culpepper not only sours the team, it sours their opinion of the FO. At that point, no pick gained is worth the friction caused. But, I'm sure there's SOME GENIUS just itchin' to type a response on how we have the most intelligent FO in the league and everything they do IS GENIUS.

So, IN THIS EXAMPLE, Jacksonville is bidding against St. Louis. While it is not a direct bidding war, they still must play the card they possess.

And, even as a QB2 or QB3, Culpepper would gladly welcome yet ANOTHER year to rehab while in the safe confines of the Linehan "world". He could seek refuge in a familiar friend and buy himself one more year to completely regain his speed while polishing other skills.

Releastically, he would sign a 2 year backloaded deal with a huge roster bonus in February/March. Giving him and the team ample time to decide on a direction. He might make $1M or $2M dollars. But, most importantly, he comes back on the scene in 2008 2.5 years removed from injury, rehabbed and with a fresh outlook. He'd be in a prime situation to compete again.

Like it or not, Culpepper HAS options. Regardless of how much classless bashing he receives from our fans, Culpepper has every right to guide his own career, make his own choices and live his life the way he wants.

Frankly, I've put the drama of this situation behind me. I'm tired of seeing a player getting trashed by our fans simply because he's trying to make his own way.

I never wanted the TG situation and never wanted to see Daunte leave this way. But, it's happened and here we are. I realize this situation will not end peacefully and the continued bashing will not cease for at least another year. However, I would like to move on with our new situation and wish Daunte all the luck and success in the world. I know I'll always cheer for him no matter where he goes.

The least I can do is cheer for a player that wanted to play for my team. Regardless of the outcome, he was a Dolphin in his heart. Things just didn't work out. I don't hold that against him.

See ya Ricky and...

So long Daunte....

Best wishes and thanks for the memories... good or bad.

Green was allowed to practice. McNair was not allowed in the facility. Culpepper's treatment is somewhere in between those two.

The Dolphins' biggest misstep was allowing Culpepper on the practice field. While they're trying to work out a trade, it's in their best interests to help Culpepper keep rehabbing while keeping his true football readiness a mystery and letting the new offense gel.

Yep. Daunte is allowed to work in individual drills and use the facility to continue his rehab. It's just the team drills that he was not allowed to participate in... Of course, team drills are over now. It's not an issue.

Mini-camp is over. Training camp happens towards the end of JULY. We wait...as the good Doctor exposes another myth.

St. Louis has openly stated they would pursue Culpepper IF he was released. Further saying they would not trade for him.

Therefore, Jacksonville only has leverage IF they can trade for him. Which begs the question, "why would you trade for a player that doesn't want to play for you?".

As long as Miami keeps Culpepper, Jacksonville has a shot. Not too mention, let's not oversimply the FO's viewpoint. IF they have the ability to recoup a draft given for TG (regardless of it's value), they will try to do so. As so many of you love to say "it's a business". The problem is when push comes to shove. At some point, keeping Culpepper not only sours the team, it sours their opinion of the FO. At that point, no pick gained is worth the friction caused. But, I'm sure there's SOME GENIUS just itchin' to type a response on how we have the most intelligent FO in the league and everything they do IS GENIUS.

So, IN THIS EXAMPLE, Jacksonville is bidding against St. Louis. While it is not a direct bidding war, they still must play the card they possess.

And, even as a QB2 or QB3, Culpepper would gladly welcome yet ANOTHER year to rehab while in the safe confines of the Linehan "world". He could seek refuge in a familiar friend and buy himself one more year to completely regain his speed while polishing other skills.

Releastically, he would sign a 2 year backloaded deal with a huge roster bonus in February/March. Giving him and the team ample time to decide on a direction. He might make $1M or $2M dollars. But, most importantly, he comes back on the scene in 2008 2.5 years removed from injury, rehabbed and with a fresh outlook. He'd be in a prime situation to compete again.

Like it or not, Culpepper HAS options. Regardless of how much classless bashing he receives from our fans, Culpepper has every right to guide his own career, make his own choices and live his life the way he wants.

Frankly, I've put the drama of this situation behind me. I'm tired of seeing a player getting trashed by our fans simply because he's trying to make his own way.

I never wanted the TG situation and never wanted to see Daunte leave this way. But, it's happened and here we are. I realize this situation will not end peacefully and the continued bashing will not cease for at least another year. However, I would like to move on with our new situation and wish Daunte all the luck and success in the world. I know I'll always cheer for him no matter where he goes.

The least I can do is cheer for a player that wanted to play for my team. Regardless of the outcome, he was a Dolphin in his heart. Things just didn't work out. I don't hold that against him.

See ya Ricky and...

So long Daunte....

Best wishes and thanks for the memories... good or bad.

Hi, Nathan. Good to see a post from you.

I'm not sure why you think Daunte doesn't want to be a Jaguar. He'd be reunited with another former coach, he'd get a decent chance of starting and he'd get to stay in his home state.

The other thing I want to address is there has been a lot of speculation about the team being upset by how Culpepper is being treated. I just haven't seen a lot of hard evidence of this. In fact, the only quote I've seen from a Dolphin player was Ronnie Brown saying Daunte's situation was "unfortunate." Not "wrong" or "unfair." "Unfortunate." So I think we may be overestimating locker room angst over Daunte's treatment.

[mod]Please do not circumvent the profanity filter[/mod]
If that is true, then I hope the Dolphins hold onto Culpepper until the last possible moment.

Man, some of you mods have the most kick-*** sigs these days........ that ones awesome Dr.Z

Ehhhhhhhh no. He said he wouldn't "restructure" for them. Yet, they have more than enough cap room to take on his base salary as is. If they're desperate enough, they could easily take on his salary. I look for this to play out with Jacksonville seeing how their last minicamp goes. If they don't come away from it satisfied, I can see him getting traded to the Jags before the start of their training camp.

Hi, Nathan. Good to see a post from you.

I'm not sure why you think Daunte doesn't want to be a Jaguar. He'd be reunited with another former coach, he'd get a decent chance of starting and he'd get to stay in his home state.

The other thing I want to address is there has been a lot of speculation about the team being upset by how Culpepper is being treated. I just haven't seen a lot of hard evidence of this. In fact, the only quote I've seen from a Dolphin player was Ronnie Brown saying Daunte's situation was "unfortunate." Not "wrong" or "unfair." "Unfortunate." So I think we may be overestimating locker room angst over Daunte's treatment.

Hey Dr. Z,

Nice to hear from you, as well.

Let me start by rewording a thought: I don't think Daunte views Jacksonville as his "dream" situation. And neither would I. If he goes there, he's immediately pushed into a QB contraversy. His acquisition would jettison Garrard (#2) and the fans would simply wait for Leftwich to screw up. I honestly think Daunte is tired of living in the up and down drama of a QB contraversy. He's stated a few times he simply wants to start over (in not so many words) and get a clean slate. He can't do that in Jacksonville. His acquisition would immediately split the FO, team and fanbase.

In St. Louis, he can fly under the radar. He can go into a non-pressure situation, rehab completely and come out a re-invented man. I think his image needs some "silence" right now. He needs to regroup and I think St. Louis is the perfect spot to do it. Not too mention, I firmly believe his loyalties lie more with Linehan than with Tice. Linehan invented Daunte's career. Tice merely oversaw it parts of it. And, the Linehan name brings more credibility.

Daunte could walk away from St. Louis with nothing but praise and recommendations. However, he could be run out of Jacksonville if things blow up. And I don't think his career can suffer another round of bad press.

The ironic thing is that after 1 year in St. Louis, he might find himself landing in Jacksonville. But, this time, Leftwich and possibly Garrad could both be gone. Now THAT, would be an ideal situation for him to land in Jacksonville.

Finally, I don't think the team is IN turmoil at the present over this situation. However, I was moreso implying it COULD be if it continues. We saw how the Trent Green saga made KC look bad. I think we COULD be headed for the same thing. As if we learned nothing from watching Trent's situation unfold.

Why? So we can look worse to the league? Or so that our own personnel know not to trust this coaching staff when they tell them something like they'll have a chance to start. And then when it turns out they're lying, everyone knows that our FO is going to do everything in their power to screw you over from making a meaningful impact on another team next season? For all the people who complain that Daunte is handling this poorly and unprofessionally, there are a lot of people who are encouraging the Dolphins to act like children as well. The longer this situation drags on, the worse it looks for both sides. It's time to end it and release C-Pep. He's already begun the process of filing a grievance with the backing of the NFLPA so it's only a matter of time before he gets his release anyway. Do we really want it to be so embaressing as it was for the Titans last year with McNair?

Why? So we can look worse to the league? Or so that our own personnel know not to trust this coaching staff when they tell them something like they'll have a chance to start. And then when it turns out they're lying, everyone knows that our FO is going to do everything in their power to screw you over from making a meaningful impact on another team next season? For all the people who complain that Daunte is handling this poorly and unprofessionally, there are a lot of people who are encouraging the Dolphins to act like children as well. The longer this situation drags on, the worse it looks for both sides. It's time to end it and release C-Pep. He's already begun the process of filing a grievance with the backing of the NFLPA so it's only a matter of time before he gets his release anyway. Do we really want it to be so embaressing as it was for the Titans last year with McNair?

............you know why? So that you don't take it to the media on Day 1 of the standoff. That's why. You handle it internally until it appears you have no other choice.

Back
Top Bottom