Common theme when playing high-powered offenses | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Common theme when playing high-powered offenses

EJay

Scout Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I know most the post-game threads are going to single out a player or two as the reason for this loss, but please save it. One or two players do not win or lose a game. Period. Every player and coach contributed to the team being in the position they were in at the end of the game today.

The QB missed throws, the receivers dropped catchable passes, the o-line missed blocks, the RB's missed holes or fell down without being touched, the defense missed tackles and assignments, and the coaches made questionable calls / decisions.

So, moving on, I'd like to discuss the entire defensive unit, including the D coordinator. IMO, there has been a common thread in the 4 losses to the Colts, Chargers, Saints, and Patriots. And it even applies to the two wins over the Jets.

The defense is giving up far too many big plays, especially after a long scoring drive by the offense. While the offense and ST's have had their own problems during the first half of the season, I think the defense has been the biggest problem of all.

We first saw it against Indy when the offense DOMINATED the Colts defense and limited the amount of time Peyton Manning had the ball in his hands. Why did they lose that game? Too many 1, 2, or 3 plays scoring drives given up by the defense.

While the offense hasn't made a ton of big plays, I feel they have performed well enough to win more than 3 games thus far. They've consistently chewed up clock and converted short 3rd downs (I think they are the best in the league at it). Yet, each time they gain some momentum, the defense gives it right back in 2 or 3 plays. Now, I realize that they have played some damn good offensive teams, but c'mon ... they simply can't make it that easy for the opposition.

What's the problem? I think most of us see what the problem is. It's lack of consistent pressure on the QB. You give ANY QB as much time as the Dolphins allow and they should carve your defense apart. Period.

So is it scheme or is it lack of talent? Or is it a bit of both?

IMO, while the Dolphins may not have best personnel, I side more with scheme and coaching more than anything else.

Why doesn't Cam Wake play more?
If the D can't get consistent pressure rushing 3-4 defenders, why don't they blitz more?
When they do blitz, why do they telegraph it so early?

These are all legit questions and I wish I knew the answers.

It's funny, but during the first few weeks we were all bitching about the ST's units being the weak link. The last few weeks, they've been the strength of team. Of the remaining facets of the game, the defense has by far been more problematic, IMO. And I don't even think it's close.

Some may disagree with me, and that's fine. But I challenge you to prove that it was the offense that was most responsible for 4 of the 5 losses.

The only losses that I think the offense can be blamed for is the Atlanta game and possibly the San Diego game. Although, the defense gave up a lot of big plays to the Chargers that swung momentum of that particular game.

Before the coach and GM start worrying about a #1 receiver or a legit TE threat or whether Chad Henne is really the future at the QB position, I believe they should focus more on acquiring a few more play makers on defense.

The offense has been productive enough, while the defense has not.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I know most the post-game threads are going to single out a player or two as the reason for this loss, but please save it. One or two players do not win or lose a game. Period. Every player and coach contributed to the team being in the position they were in at the end of the game today.

The QB missed throws, the receivers dropped catchable passes, the o-line missed blocks, the RB's missed holes or fell down without being touched, the defense missed tackles and assignments, and the coaches made questionable calls / decisions.

So, moving on, I'd like to discuss the entire defensive unit, including the D coordinator. IMO, there has been a common thread in the 4 losses to the Colts, Chargers, Saints, and Patriots. And it even applies to the two wins over the Jets.

The defense is giving up far too many big plays, especially after a long scoring drive by the offense. While the offense and ST's have had their own problems during the first half of the season, I think the defense has been the biggest problem of all.

We first saw it against Indy when the offense DOMINATED the Colts defense and limited the amount of time Peyton Manning had the ball in his hands. Why did they lose that game? Too many 1, 2, or 3 plays scoring drives given up by the defense.

While the offense hasn't made a ton of big plays, I feel they have performed well enough to win more than 3 games thus far. They've consistently chewed up clock and converted short 3rd downs (I think they are the best in the league at it). Yet, each time they gain some momentum, the defense gives it right back in 2 or 3 plays. Now, I realize that they have played some damn good offensive teams, but c'mon ... they simply can't make it that easy for the opposition.

What's the problem? I think most of us see what the problem is. It's lack of consistent pressure on the QB. You give ANY QB as much time as the Dolphins allow and they should carve your defense apart. Period.

So is it scheme or is it lack of talent? Or is it a bit of both?

IMO, while the Dolphins may not have best personnel, I side more with scheme and coaching more than anything else.

Why doesn't Cam Wake play more?
If the D can't get consistent pressure rushing 3-4 defenders, why don't they blitz more?
When they do blitz, why do they telegraph it so early?

These are all legit questions and I wish I knew the answers.

It's funny, but during the first few weeks we were all bitching about the ST's units being the weak link. The last few weeks, they've been the strength of team. Of the remaining facets of the game, the defense has by far been more problematic, IMO. And I don't even think it's close.

Some may disagree with me, and that's fine. But I challenge you to prove that it was the offense that was most responsible for 4 of the 5 losses.

The only losses that I think the offense can be blamed for is the Atlanta game and possibly the San Diego game. Although, the defense gave up a lot of big plays to the Chargers that swung momentum of that particular game.

Before the coach and GM start worrying about a #1 receiver or a legit TE threat or whether Chad Henne is really the future at the QB position, I believe they should focus more on acquiring a few more play makers on defense.

The offense has been productive enough, while the defense has not.[/FONT]

Having one dimensional linebackers and rookie cb's coupled with no real FS and what you see is what you get.

Yep

I Agree Totally, And I Have Been Saying This From Day 1 We Dont Have A Linebacker Who Can Run With The Tight End I Suggested Porter Move Inside And Play Head Up On The Tight End In A Bear Look Defense With Bell Walked Up Or We Can Run The That Same 4 Man Line And Let Torbor Play Outside Linebacker And Cam Wakes Needs To Be On The Field. We Have The Talent To Be Much Better, Rookies Man To Man On Outside, And For God Sakes We Drafted Smith To Be On The Big Wr Press Coverage Press Coverage Press Coverage Press Coverage! Smith Is A Young Albert Lewis When He Played With The Chiefs, He Is Our Stopper We Should Use Him Like Darrell Green, Play Him On Best Wr.

ON OFFENSE WE NEED TO RUN THE ISO LEAD DRAW TO THE WEAKSIDE ALONG WITH THE COUNTER TREY! THE ONE TIME WE RAN THE COUNTER TREY WHITE RAN THE WRONG DAMN WAY!!! I WANT TO SEE COUNTER TREY FROM THREE WIDE AND OTHER TWO BACK SETS, THE GLOVES ARE OFF WE HAVE TWO OF THE BEST PULLING GUARDS IN FOOTBALL AND THE TACKLES CAN PULL TO, WE NEED TO STOP BABYING THE O-LINE WE DON'T EVEN TRY AND STRETCH THE FIELD THEY REFUSE TO GO DOWN THE FIELD WITH THE DAMN BALL TO ANYBODY, I DONT THINK ANY OF OUR TIGHT ENDS HAVE RUN DEEP PATTERNS IN THE SEAMS!!!! WHETHER WE LIKE IT OR NOT TED GINN IS OUR ONLY DEEP THREAT, BODDEN JOKINGLY RAN DEEP WITH BESS, ALTHOUGH BESS CAUGHT THE BALL THERE WAS NO FEAR OF GOING DEEP OR ANY KIND OF CROSSING ROUTES AT A INTERMEDIATE RANGE MAKE HENNE STAND TALL AND WORK THE DEEP FLAGS TO THE CORNER, DEEP DOWN AND INS ARE OPEN. START GOING 4-5 WIDE WITH MIXED PERSONEL, BASE, 2 TIGHT 3 WIDE ALL WITH R@R. THATS THE ONLY WAY WE ARE GOING TO MOVE THE BALL DOWN THE FIELD, UNTIL WE CAN GET A TRUE BEAST!!!!!!! OF A WR!!!!!!!

Having one dimensional linebackers and rookie cb's coupled with no real FS and what you see is what you get.

Agreed 100%.

I was bored earlier this week and looked at 2010 mock drafts.

One had Miami getting McClain in the 1st & Sergio Kindle from Texas in the 2nd. That and giving Clemons some experience this yr would improve the D a great deal.

Drafting Chad Jones from LSU in the 3rd (?) as Miami's equivalent to Polamalu would also be beneficial.

Back
Top Bottom