compensation draft picks? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

compensation draft picks?

Phins40

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
I have read some on compensation draft picks pretty sure how they work but I just want to confirm
If lets say Jake Long and Reggie walk and sign solid deal are we guaranteed to get a couple of late picks and from what understand you cannot trade those picks correct?

I have read some on compensation draft picks pretty sure how they work but I just want to confirm
If lets say Jake Long and Reggie walk and sign solid deal are we guaranteed to get a couple of late picks and from what understand you cannot trade those picks correct?

I believe we get picks for the 2013 draft based on FA's we lost before the 2012 season, so compensatory picks for guys we lose this off-season will be awarded for the 2014 draft. I think they do this so they can base the level of the pick on how much the player contributed in the season after being signed away from their original team.

Draft pick compensation is done for the following year...if we lost Long and Bush, compensation would come in the 2014 draft. However, there is a comparison done between the size of contracts signed versus those that were lost. So, if we were to sign, as an example, Cliff Avril to a contract that is coparable to the one Long signes elesewhere, they would cancel each other out from a compensatory perspective.

For 2013, I've seen it suggested that Miami might get a 5th round pick. But, we'll see.

From wiki:

"In addition to the 32 selections in each of the seven rounds, a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year.[SUP][58][/SUP] Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick. awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7
If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft (These are known as "supplemental compensatory selections").
Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft."

So we should be looking at Henne, Langford, Yeremiah Bell

If we signed FA's, but they never made it into the regular season with us do they count within the compensatory draft pick process? I assume players we signed once the season began (like Anthony Armstrong) dont count.

So we should be looking at Henne, Langford, Yeremiah Bell

Bell was cut, so he won't be a factor.

Langfrod's comp pick should be nullified by Richard Marshall, but Miami may end up with something due to the latter playing so little and going on IR.
Henne will generate a comp pick.
Will Allen might generate a comp pick.

Comp picks can't be traded, however, you can trade your normally allotted round pick and still have a pick in that round.

I believe comp picks only apply to UFA(no cut players) who had contracts expired and are signed before the start of the regular season. There is also a salary floor to the formula, so guys signed for or under roughl $875k don't qualify

http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2010/03/projecting-2010-compensatory-nfl-draft.html

The above website has information about how comp picks work. It's a few years old but the guy is pretty close in his projections. I don't believe he has anything for 2013 posted yet, but he may at the end of the season.

Back
Top Bottom