Cooper and Warmack = ELITE OGs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cooper and Warmack = ELITE OGs

foozool13

#12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I saw this little snippet on twitter from Eyes Off the Ball:

This should help people understand how talented most talent evaluators feel Chance Warmack and Jonathan Cooper are.

Last year David DeCastro was considered a once in a decade offensive guard. His draft grade was 6.30 according to Pro Football Weekly.

This year Alabama's Chance Warmack has a 6.60 draft grade, and UNC's Jonathan Cooper as a 6.55.

That means they both should be better than Decastro, whom the Steelers selected with the 24th pick.

http://sulia.com/eyesofftheballs/

Warmack doesn't fit this system so hes out. but Cooper sure as hell does. I would love to snag Cooper if we cant get a OT. I know people are against taking an OG at #12 and the argument makes a lot of sense, but taking an ELITE player at #12 also makes sense even if its an OG. I love the idea of Pouncey and Cooper ripping **** up for the next 5 years.

i think guard is as important as tackle. if cooper is as good as advertised then he should really be considered.

It wouldn't be sexy but Cooper at 12 would be a sensible talent/value/need pick.

Cooper is perfect for a zone blocking scheme and has been compared to Hall of Fame OG's like Randall McDaniel and Dermontti Dawson.

If they took a guard at 12 overall they would seriously jeopardize the results of the referendum being held 2 weeks after the draft.

I like Bjoern Werner, but they have no intention of sliding Odrick inside this year, so in essence he would be 3rd/4th choice DE this year.

I love Cooper. He would allow Cog to move back where he best to RG. It would also allow John Jerry to compete where he maybe best at RT.

We all love Pouncey but were critical when pick was made. Cooper would be in same category.

I like Bjoern Werner, but they have no intention of sliding Odrick inside this year, so in essence he would be 3rd/4th choice DE this year.

I love Cooper. He would allow Cog to move back where he best to RG. It would also allow John Jerry to compete where he maybe best at RT.

We all love Pouncey but were critical when pick was made. Cooper would be in same category.

You mean it would allow Incognito to be released from the team. The Dolphins signed Lance Louis. Incognito would be the odd man out, unless Louis is not healthy.

The blueprint to success as far as my philosophy goes is top 20 picks is not for interior linemen....for god sake Brandon Moore is still on the market and he has a 5 year track record. It's EASY to find solid guards, a team has never won a super bowl because of "elite guard play". The top 15 or so, sure I'll think about a left tackle or a center, but for the rest of the o-line there's plenty of great players found in the 20-50 range. If we trade down even better, can maybe get lucky and get a Cooper or get an athletic tackle like Watson. Guards don't win championships, let someone else take an elite guard, I rather take my chances on a game changer on a premium position.

i think guard is as important as tackle. if cooper is as good as advertised then he should really be considered.

Especially with the increase in pass rushing defensive tackles (Suh, Fairley, Atkins, etc.), it's important to have a good interior line. Cooper kind of reminds me of a more athletic Andy Levitre because of his ability to pull and he's a better pass blocker than run. He would be a great addition next to Mike Pouncey IMO.

51% of our runs were between the Guards last year, 8 of the top 10 run blocking teams according to FootballOutsiders.com made the playoffs last year (only 3 of the bottom 10), the lowest player bust ratio for the 1st round is interior lineman, and our worst position on the OL last year war RG according to profootballfocus. So yes, I love the Cooper pick. Him and Pouncey next to each other for years to come making holes and getting to the second level for Miller sounds good to me. Him making sure Tanne doesn't get his head knocked off by Wilfork sounds good too.

I get that Fins fans are tired of 1st rd OL, but we are now in a different time with the Rookie pay scale. No longer are we paying guys like Long 10 mil a year to play line. We can get big OL cheap and hopefully before the league tears them up. That gives us more money to spend on proven playmakers like Wallace.

They have no intention of sliding Odrick inside? Is this breaking news?

It doesn't matter how good Warmack and Cooper are. All you have to do is look at what happened to David Decastro last year. This guy was considered a sure-fire elite OG prospect and projected to go between picks 10 and 15. He ended being picked at 24. Its because he plays GUARD.

I saw this little snippet on twitter from Eyes Off the Ball:

Warmack doesn't fit this system so hes out. but Cooper sure as hell does. I would love to snag Cooper if we cant get a OT. I know people are against taking an OG at #12 and the argument makes a lot of sense, but taking an ELITE player at #12 also makes sense even if its an OG. I love the idea of Pouncey and Cooper ripping **** up for the next 5 years.
Does that go for kickers as well?

Back
Top Bottom